Photo

How do I get to those motherf*cking nuts to get the g*d-d*mned motherf*cking carburetor off?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 KELMO

KELMO

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  • Cars:71 Goon, 72 1200 coupe x 2, 69 F250 72 510 4DR Sedan 2003 Maxima 2014 Frontier 2012 Xterra

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

This may not be important but.....in the picture with the carb removed, you have 4 nuts laying in front of it, they are the wrong type.  Should be a plain nut and a lock washer.

NISMO: Nissan Impresses Sluts More Often
"Well, primer gray IS a color..." (quote: Kelmo's wife)

#42 emanistan

emanistan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cars:1978 Datsun B210 2-door sedan, 2011 Ford E250

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

This may not be important but.....in the picture with the carb removed, you have 4 nuts laying in front of it, they are the wrong type.  Should be a plain nut and a lock washer.

Not at all surprising.

#43 Doctor510

Doctor510

• PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Cars:Many 510's

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

There are M8x1.25 nuts flanged with a 10mm wrench head.

#44 bob3d

bob3d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cars:78 B210

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

Cut a 10mm wrench in half and tie a string to it to prevent losing it if dropped. Putting the nuts back on is just as bad. stuff something in back to catch dropped nuts. 

#45 BestyBlue77

BestyBlue77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cars:1977 B210 2dr Sedan (4-speed), 1976 B210 2dr Sedan (auto) 1977 B210 Coupe (auto)

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

[quote name="emanistan" post="1526083" timestamp="1509303766"]Thanks everybody, especially the great Datzenmike.  You answered one thing I specifically forgot to ask: what size are those motherf*cking nuts?  since I can't even fit a caliper down there to size them, and the burrs on the edges would throw off the measurement anyway.  I think next week after payday I'll try my luck with a 1/12 box-end ratchet wrench with a flex handle.[/quote
] I know it's been several months since the last post on this, but did you ever figure out a good solution to removing the motherf**king nuts?

I have 3 B210's and ALL of mine have 10mm nuts on them. A 12mm would never fit on those carbs. The 10mm barely fits. I've had a ton of issues with my carbs over the years, so I could take those carbs off in my sleep. There is no need to remove the valve cover, overkill. Rep hoses

#46 BestyBlue77

BestyBlue77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cars:1977 B210 2dr Sedan (4-speed), 1976 B210 2dr Sedan (auto) 1977 B210 Coupe (auto)

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

Thanks everybody, especially the great Datzenmike. You answered one thing I specifically forgot to ask: what size are those motherf*cking nuts? since I can't even fit a caliper down there to size them, and the burrs on the edges would throw off the measurement anyway. I think next week after payday I'll try my luck with a 1/12 box-end ratchet wrench with a flex handle.

I know it's been several months since the last post on this, but did you ever figure out a good solution to removing the motherf**king nuts?

I have 3 B210's and ALL of mine have 10mm nuts on them. A 12mm would never fit on my carbs. The 10mm barely fits. I've had a ton of issues with my carbs over the years, so I could probably take those carbs off in my sleep. There is no need to remove the valve cover, overkill.

Once your air cleaner is off and ALL hoses are out of the way remove the top carb screw closest to firewall that holds the side bracket down. Remove the choke. Then remove the 2 back side screws holding the bracket on. Then remove the f**king screw and slip clip (pic below) at the end of that bracket that holds the throttle cable in place. That fucking screw is the bain of my existence! Grrr! Because, it's so hard to get back on.

20180409_142336_zpssp0fqlss.jpg

Then remove the throttle cable by cranking the throttle lever around and wiggling the cable out and away from the carb body.
Next remove the big flathead screw, 2 tiny washers, and the spring that holds the accelerator pump lever on. Then remove that accelerator pump lever bar.
At this point the goddamned nuts should be as accessible as they are going to get. A bent wrench or flexible head wrench would make things easier, but not at all necessary. If the nut is really rounded needle-nose vice-grip pliers might be your best friend here to get it loosened enough to then unscrew by hand. After you get those off, put on new nuts (obviously) with nylon threading because tightening the new nuts enough without striping them can be a pain in the arse too. The nylon helps keep them from vibrating loose.

Hope this helps anyone having this same problem.