Jump to content

- - - - -

Is there an oil pressure sensor switch that fits?

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 610StaWag


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Location:SoCal
  • Cars:610 Station Wagon

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

I own a 1973 Datsun 610 station wagon (that was actually made in late 1972). Please see the photo below. All three sensors have almost the same dimensions (miniscule difference) but only the original sensor, that is now defective, actually fits into the threaded hole of the engine block. Does anyone know of a place to get a sensor that will fit into the engine block hole and if so, what the model number of that sensor is? 


I was told on two separate occasions that the replacement sensors I purchased would fit, but they don't. The original sensor barely fits; it is almost too big to go in the hole. 


37925043766_c2bd56e253_h.jpgOil sensor switch by Donald Broz, on Flickr

#2 Doctor510


    Senior Member

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Location:Mesa, AZ
  • Cars:Many 510's

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Original one fits because the other two have 1/8NPT threads  Get a proper one or at last resort, chase the hole with a 1/8NPT Tap. OR buy an adapter, BSPT to NPT, about $6.00.

#3 Roadster-ka


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Location:Vallejo
  • Cars:71 510 wagon

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

Nissan dealer!

#4 datzenmike



  • User Administrator
  • 72,225 posts
  • Location:Vancouver Island
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:28 PM




You want 1/8 BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) to 1/8 NPTF adapter.  This will allow N American threaded sensors or oil pressure gauge fittings to work.


Nissan 'jumped into bed' with Austin or Great Britain in the mid '50s to assemble their cars in Japan from British parts. Within a year they were making their own parts and like the Japanese do so well, copying and making improvements. Is it any wonder that some MG parts ftr the J and A series engines? Anyway for some reason the threads in the block for the oil pressure senders were kept BSP and have been well up into the 2000's.


Just pull the sender from any non gauge Nissan engine, or go to the dealer.

Posted Image

#5 MikeRL411


    78 'n counting...

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,501 posts
  • Location:Rancho Palos Verdes CA
  • Cars:67RL411, 90 240SX, 97J30T

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

Adapters are available off the shelf at O'Riley and other stores.  Usually shelved near the Oil pressure replacement meters.  Cheap and effective!  Ask me how I kept my original 50 year old Datsun RL411 running all these years!  You have to be inventive.


I have posted the part number of the adapter too many times to want to repeat it.  Use the search function, that's why it was implemented!

Edited by MikeRL411, 27 October 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#6 BambooU



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Location:Bay Area/Los Altos, California
  • Cars:1969 2-door 510

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

I had the same problem. Tried various senders and adapters, none worked very well. I ended up chasing the block until i was able to get enough threads from a cleaner unit. Just be careful not to get too many shavings inside the block.