Every time I take a left hand corner in my Dime...

G8KeaPoR

So every time I take a left hand corner, turn, or all of the above with a half tank or more fuel dumps out from the fuel filler neck and runs down the quarter.  I replaced the cap gasket and checked to make sure the vent actually vents off pressure which it does. Obviously the gasket isn't sealing but do 510's not have the little girders inside the tank to keep the fuel from sloshing to one side of the tank or any type of flapper to prevent backflow on the filler neck?  Or is this just another thing that was rigged by the person that supposedly "restored and well sorted" the car..? If so add this to the list of reasons why I cant stand when people half ass things.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is no gas inside the trunk then it has to be the cap.

Tanks have baffles to limit sloshing but not eliminate it.

The tank is vented through a line to the engine flow guide valve, who's job is to let air into the tank as it empties or let fuel vapors out. The gas cap should be sealed.

Thanks.  Yes baffles was the word I was looking for not girders lol.  I will check it out and see about using a thicker gasket.  I based the thickness off of the old on so that probably was a mistake.  That is unless you know of somewhere that sells new good quality caps that will fit.

So every time I take a left hand corner, turn, or all of the above with a half tank or more fuel dumps out from the fuel filler neck and runs down the quarter.  I replaced the cap gasket and checked to make sure the vent actually vents off pressure which it does. Obviously the gasket isn't sealing but do 510's not have the little girders inside the tank to keep the fuel from sloshing to one side of the tank or any type of flapper to prevent backflow on the filler neck?  Or is this just another thing that was rigged by the person that supposedly "restored and well sorted" the car..? If so add this to the list of reasons why I cant stand when people half ass things.

You should not have a vented cap.

Well you can see the confusion by you saying about the gas cap... " the vent actually vent's off pressure."

Could be the gasket or the sealing surface not flat. Does the gasket have an imprint of the filler opening on it? Gas caps can be sneaky

I thought this was standard for 510's and 1200's.  The 1200 sedan I had did it,and the 1200 coupe (the grey one).  The green coupe had the tell tale stain when we got it, but once the car was restored (that is a tongue in cheek statement) and an OEM gas cap installed, no leak on left hand turns.  Also, I was always under the impression that the gas cap was a vented style cap....time to do a little reading.

So after checking it out the cap appears to be tweaked.  As to the venting I was referencing mine the what I assume is a vent line that tee's off of the fill neck.  (metal tube between the tank and where the cap screws on inside the trunk.)  I assumed that was a vent anyway.   I was thinking about doing a tank fill mod and the Mazda one is a good one but since I have the original tank/fill neck etc from my Porsche 993/911 (replaced that with a fuel cell that a guy gave me as payment for fixing his race car.)  For those that don't know those tanks are upright tanks on a slightly larger scale of similar shape to the 510 tank but they come equipped with an in tank electric fuel pump, modern baffling, vented cap, and the ability for a return line.  Plus since the tank I have is steel and has some rust bubbling on it I figure a nice plastic tank is the way to go.  Oh yeah and its free lol.  Eiter way these tanks are high impact resistant since they were positioned in front of the driver in a 911  so I figure it will do good in the 510.  That said I would never recommend buying this setup as new it would run you upwards of 2500-3k and at that price you might as well have gone with a fuel cell, lines and pump  and had money to spare lol.