Wires from transmission-hope this is the right string

5veinte1

There are several (6 at least) wires in various states of ability to use coming out of my transmission and aren't hooked up to anything, and several that are marked from previous owner(s) nearby on the chassis.  WTF?  Not shown in the wiring schematic that I have, what are they for, besides reverse lights?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assumed a 620 so I cancelled the post.

For a 521 there would be at least two other wires to a top gear switch that would turn the retard points OFF on the dual points distributor. The 521 (some anyway) had a neutral gear switch. So there's 6 wires.

Daniel and wayno have 521s maybe they know.

• Like 1

I assumed a 620 so I cancelled the post.

For a 521 there would be at least two other wires to a top gear switch that would turn the retard points OFF on the dual points distributor. The 521 (some anyway) had a neutral gear switch. So there's 6 wires.

Daniel and wayno have 521s maybe they know.

I thought about the dual point distributor and then decided to just let someone that knew what they were talking about answer.

I have not had any stock 521 since the mid 90s, the only wires I connect are the reverse light wires

• Like 1

Stock 521 transmissions have a third gear switch, and a neutral switch.  Both of these switches are used to retard the ignition timing at part throttle, in third gear.  I believe the reverse light switch is the lowest switch on the transmission.   Red wires, black stripe, are the reverse light wires. 

• Like 3