Over 100,000 Digital License Plates Are Scheduled to Hit U.S. Roads in 2018

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another layer of shit to go wrong.

My first car you had to go to the DMV for a new plate every year in Jan. Around '73? plates had a space for a validation sticker that was based on your birthdate to spread out the owners..

• Like 1

A. Time to start really collecting license plates.....well if you are young enough.

B. Will they work on vehicles that are not "connected"? Like, oh I don't know, a Datsun.

• Like 4

I'd be curious if this test was conducted in Washington State if the 100,000 plates would mean only 50,000 test vehicles, or if magically digital plates would no longer make having a front and rear plate a requirement.

Also, if someone backs into or pulls too deep into a parking space and hits my hitch a metal plate bends and is still legible, hows that cracked screen going to keep working? And who pays for the replacement?

• Like 2

Makes it easier to bleed hard earned $$ from the general masses.........

Probably have built in GPS, and the system will send you a speeding ticket automatically.

People who are young enough to not have seen the movie '1984', need to watch it.

This was all predicted by George Orwell, who wrote the book by the same name.

• Like 3

I personally can't wait for this to be implemented. Because when it is hacked, and it will be, I'll laugh when every license plate starts showing dickbutt or playing Rick Astley.

• Like 2

People who are young enough to not have seen the movie '1984', need to watch it.

This was all predicted by George Orwell, who wrote the book by the same name.

Except he couldn't predict the year very well.

• Like 1

He wasn't right, he wrote a book that in some aspects has come to pass. I could also make predictions of the future and then just wait for them to happen.

Cars are going to disappear as we know them. They will morph through diesel power and stabilize as electric cars and all other forms of transportation that slave themselves (autonomous) to each other on the highway into long chains. Drivers become superfluous.

Earth's population is going to peak and suddenly decline then slow to a steady decline probably stabilizing around 1900 levels. The four major contributors are the end of the industrial revolution's free fossil fuels, technological break down, environmental collapse and a pandemic.

North Korea's madman sends a ICBM towards the West but it crashes and detonates in the Pacific. China and Russia invade NK saving the US from any retaliatory response. Withing two weeks the country is secure and Kim found and executed. UN sends massive aid  relief efforts. Northern populace de programed over the next generation. Die hard supporters are sent 'down on the farm' in China.

• Like 2

A lot of people made movies , wrote stories where shit comes true and or tells you the plan!

Digital plates... I guess they could have a hard memory and reset. So mag or hack might not be prob. Hopefully it's not DMV.gov cloud shit . I don't really like new black California. Blue maybe

I don't know that much about digital tech but I did stay at a Holliday inn last night

• Like 1

I suspect this would tell someone somewhere where and when the car was on the road and maybe even who was driving. Your fast food retail preferences, the gas station you go to, where and when you shop, when you go to work and drive home and the route. In fact it would be like a detective following you around data logging every thing you and your vehicle did and computing trends in driving behavior. Probably only the new cars.

Not for me. I sometimes like to go for a drive and I know that no one knows where I am. Don't need GPS, don't need cell phone, don't need navigation, don't need any of that shit. There's no adventure in it.

• Like 4