1970 Nissan bluebird emissions

silverback510

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have any pointers as far as getting a bone stock 1970 Japanese bluebird to pass emissions in California. like what i need to do, change or add to my car to get it legal? any help would be appreciated.

...u asking in 2 places?

I've never imported any cars or trucks, but I do know that in CA, 1975 and prior is exempt.

Will they need to check it for a new CA title on a vehicle coming in from another country? I don't think so.

Go to DMV, hand them the paperwork, tell them you want to register your car, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT and wait for them to ask questions or tell you what to do next. You'll likely need a VIN verification, but if you have legit purchase documents, they will probably send you on your way with a title. I say keep your mouth shut because too much information can raise questions that you may not want to or be prepared to answer.

If you have a cool Japanese pink slip or neat Japanese license plates, and want to keep them, take the plates off and say you lost them in the move... or whatever, and scan the title to make a copy for yourself. They will take both of those from you upon registering it. If you don't have the plates, they can't take them from you.

• Like 1

I have a service manual for Emission control system for 1970-1971 from Nissan, for USA vehicles.

The manual describes emissions controls for crankcase emission controls, exhaust emission controls, and evaporative emission controls.

It describes the controls in the L-16 engine, in sedans, wagons with both manual and automatic transmissions, pickups with the L-16 engine, the R engine used in roadsters, and U-20 engine used in roadsters.

The L-16 engine used in domestic 510 sedans had a sealed crankcase, with a PVC system for crankcase emissions.  The sedan, and wagon used a sealed gas tank, with a three way valve that used the engine crankcase for storage of gas fumes to control the evaporative emissions.

The engine used a two barrel downdraft Hitachi carburetor, that had an electrically heated thermostatic choke, controlled by a relay, that got a signal from the alternator, a solenoid that opened under some conditions, and a bunch of switches controlled by the transmission, throttle pedal, clutch pedal, and a throttle position switch on the carburetor.  There was also a dual point distributor that retarded the ignition timing in third gear, under some running conditions.

There was also a engine driven air pump, that injected fresh air into the exhaust ports of the engine.  This system was controlled by a anti-backfire valve, that was activated by engine vacuum from the intake manifold. 

Start off at California DMV, you might try different offices until you find one a little more cooperative.  Unfortunately, having a RHD car will alert any inspector that the car is not the USA model, and may require additional inspection, leading to questions about all the emissions equipment I briefly described above.  Another option is to have an out of state relative register the car first, to get you a out of state title, I believe you can bring an out of state older vehicle and get it registered easier in California, maybe.

You may have to round up all the stock emission equipment used on 1970 510, and install it, to satisfy California DMV inspection.

Have you considered moving to a state that is not so picky about emission equipment on an old car?

• Like 2
Have you considered moving to a state that is not so picky about emission equipment on an old car?

How is this an option?

Of course, I've considered it, but then I remind myself that, oh yeah, all of my life is here and emissions testing is just a small part of it.

I have considered buying a cabin property in NV, and that would be handy...