Air Injection Pump

mx71

I went to get my 85 KC 4x4 smogged, and it didn't pass. Apparently it's missing an air injection pump and it was high on CO emmissions.

1. What's an air injection pump, and why would someone remove it? Also, where can I get one?

2. What would cause CO emissions to be high? Max is 1.2, and it tested at 7.5 on high idle.

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The smog pumps blew air into the exhaust manifold to help burn up any unburned fuel.

They were crap, as was the whole concept, and thankfully modern cars (and really old ones) don't have that crap.

If your 720 has a carb, check it for too high of fuel level, causing an over rich mixture at idle.

When was the last time you did a good tune up?

Plugs, rotor & cap, plug wires, etc..

My late 86 had fuel injection, so no damn smog pump.

• Like 1

I went to get my 85 KC 4x4 smogged, and it didn't pass. Apparently it's missing an air injection pump and it was high on CO emmissions.

1. What's an air injection pump, and why would someone remove it? Also, where can I get one?

2. What would cause CO emissions to be high? Max is 1.2, and it tested at 7.5 on high idle.

...smog pump.
  • Like 1

2. What would cause CO emissions to be high? Max is 1.2, and it tested at 7.5 on high idle.[/...u in Calif? If failed don't u have to take to a ref?

• Like 1

I haven't done a tune up, but this truck had been cared for. All the wires/distributor cap look recent, and the plugs look good. It's possible it's running rich as it smells rich idling. How ouwld I check the fuel level? Is there a float adjustment? Are there jets to adjust? It's an early Motorcraft carbed, which is essentially a Holley made licensed version of the Weber 32/36.

G-Duax..Cressida? You mean a Toyota Cressida? What do you mean by that?

• Like 1

The Z series engines in the 720 did not use an air pump. So who ever told you that is wrong.

Instead one, or in the case of the 4x4s, two pipes were run from the exhaust manifold to the air filter. At the air filter end are one way reed valves. Each exhaust pressure wave is followed by vacuum wave. The vacuum waves are used to suck in air through the reed valves which prevent reversal of flow. The oxygen rich exhaust is then fed through the catalytic converter and 'burned'.

High CO levels means your choke may not be shutting off.  You mentioned a fast idle? When warmed up you should not have a 'fast idle'. When warmed up take the top[ off the air filter. The choke plate should be fully open like this...

Qml955T.jpg

not like this or part way....

L043Tu4.jpg

• Like 1

It doesn't idle high, I just failed the CO limit on high idle, or around 2500 rpm. It passed on regular idle. One thing I did when I bought it was that I had hooked up a wire from the choke to the idle cut circuit which is always on, so maybe that's my only problem?I hope it's that simple. It's at a shop right now, so I left a message for them to check on the choke and not having an injection pump.

• Like 1

Well that question was before it was known that you don't have the stock carburetor. Doesn't matter now. That Weber is going to have an impossible time trying to get the same emission readings as the stock (electronically controlled carburetor) ECC system carburetor. The ECC system uses a solenoid main jet that varies the air/fuel mixture to keep it near stoichiometric or (14.7) tightly controlled by feedback from the O2 sensor.

• Like 1

Well that question was before it was known that you don't have the stock carburetor. Doesn't matter now. That Weber is going to have an impossible time trying to get the same emission readings as the stock (electronically controlled carburetor) ECC system carburetor. The ECC system uses a solenoid main jet that varies the air/fuel mixture to keep it near stoichiometric or (14.7) tightly controlled by feedback from the O2 sensor.

My Weber 32/36 passes emisions fine every 2 years on my 86 720 2wd.  But mine is a real Weber and I still use the EGR during emission testing.  I can not help you trouble shoot the Motorcraft carb.

I've only had this for a few months. No idea if it passed before. If you spend at least $300 in emissions related repairs (other than re-installing parts that have been removed such as air injection pump or EGR valve), then you qualify for a waiver. This is the first emissions test I've done since I've had it and they're required every two years. It does appear to still have the EGR.

• Like 1

No 720 in wrecking yards here. There's only a few wrecking yards within 50 miles of here, and people tend to drive cars here in Idaho until they won't drive anymore, and just about nobody lives here, so it would have to be eBay.

• Like 1