How does this bumper look???

datzenmike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the plunge with a 6" angle grinder...

l9TQJCa.jpg

Very rough mock up.

pqMPdVa.jpg

Had more than a few dents and scrapes which throws everything off. Hammered them out from the back side.

Z9fLqTb.jpg

I'm thinking big tacks where it lines up really well then pull into or hammer into smooth joint as I weld the back. Then one long weld on the front and grind down. Had to remove two 5.25" sections. One had a dent.

Maybe.... But then the license plate will look like it's dragging the ground. Well you aren't the first to say that, it's a thought and I can better decide once it's on. Again the valance is hideous and I would like to cover it.

Well long way to go before the final decision. Was thinking dark gray as Hang510 suggested. Blacking it out would work to make it look thinner. Again I don't want to have the valance visible if possible. I guess it's wait and see.

US5KNls.jpg

b4SGtJf.jpg

Well took the plunge. Tacked it in several places with the edges lined up as best I could. In places there was high and lows so I hammered the lows from the underside out till even. When it wouldn't go out any more I hammerde the chrome side down.

Still have to grind down the weld. I even bought a cheap little sander as well.

Trimming will be easy. Let me get it presentable and mounted first.

I did grind down the weld and then proceed to sand it down smooth. Using 80 grit but needs something more aggressive. Maybe an orbital sander. Also the weld may be harder than the bumper.

Just spend a $100.00 for a small 120V Dewalt angle head grinder, then buy a few cutting discs and flap discs.

You have to take off the guard off to use the cutting discs and maybe the flap discs, but anywhere you cut metal it turns an hour job into a 5 minute job, these tools are so handy, you can even put an orbital sander attachment onto them and it will work way better than a regular electric orbital sander.

They even sell 18V Dewalt angle head grinders without the battery for under a $100.00, but the battery is expensive, you can find 2 packs for around a $100.00 or less on Ebay.

The only bad thing about them is if you try using them without eye protection you will end up at the eye doctors having them get some shit out of your eye, the doctor says one of my eyes looks like the moon, craters everywhere, I have not gotten anything in my eyes in years now.

Yes. I have an angle grinder with the guard removed. On your recommendation I looked for and found a flap disc for it. Never noticed them before. I have prescription glasses and can't see stuff up close with them on so I use safety goggles anyway and it keeps the glasses from getting fucked up too. Thanks again, good info. Can't wait to get home tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to ne sunny all day too.

I forgot to mention, the round nut holding whatever disc your using, especially the cutting discs needs to be put on upside down on the small Dewalt grinders, otherwise the cutting/flap disc will not get tight, so if your disc is loose after you tighten it down, put the round nut on the other way.

Some grinding discs have threaded holes so you don't need the round nut, but you do need the round disc mount nut on most everything else.

The "nut" should have a raised lip on one side and smooth on the other. Raised lip toward machine for thick discs (grinding), flat side toward machine for thin (cutting, flap disks).

Flap discs single handedly changed the finish quality of my work. I love those things

Beautiful fall day, time for some work. The left side is so so...

Lfzv90E.jpg

Right side came out fair. Rather than fuck with it I'll fill divots with paint.

zMSlWSK.jpg

Will use the bumper shocks as a template for mounts to the 'frame'. The ends that stick out still have to attach to the actual bumper. I still have the original chevy attachment points to it's frame so maybe they can simply be grafted together. I can then use the chrome carriage bolts.

Another thing, this sat out all week in the rain and not a speck if rust. Could the chrome have mixed with the weld?