How does this bumper look???

datzenmike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo needs to be farther back away from the car to really see what it looks like.

Ahh nothing gets past you wayno. I couldn't because it needs to be shortened. It's way too wide. Was hoping to get it done first before a full frontal. I just put it up in place for a check. The 710 is pretty ugly without the bumper.

Chevy?

Actually it is but it could have been anything. Better to be lucky... than good. I found an old Firenza as well. Like the rear bumper but may be too thin without a roll pan on the back./

vauxhall-firenza-sl-2.jpg

Don't care for the point in the middle and not tall enough to cover the front roll pan on the 710.

4593461500_8b42093256.jpg

Really like the rear one but again the 710 wagon has an ugliness behind the bumper that this one won't hide.. Maybe this one and a made up roll pan?

This, I keep in mind. 1/2 stupid looking is worse than full on stupid. Half is a fail at failing.

The park bench are horrid looking. The original chrome bumpers used elsewhere in the word are incredibly beautiful.

xJs39Z0.jpg

OK I removed the bumper shocks and mocked it up very roughly... so imagine them both straighter and tilted level and the license plate bump properly centered in the middle. Oh and ignore rust, I pounded out the two dents (certainly enough to paint over) and I kept the chrome carriage bolts to fill the square holes.

tKtW3MW.jpg

Top to bottom you mean? It's classic pre '74 styling

Well, I find the front valance terrible to look at, even the park bench hides it at least. The rear has no valance at all and looks unfinished. I suppose I could find something thinner and make a roll pan but then it wouldn't match the front.

As mentioned there was a Firenza with nice thin bumpers but the front has a Pontiac 'nose' bump out in the middle to match the grill. 

Thanks Matt, something to think about....

xJs39Z0.jpg

OK I removed the bumper shocks and mocked it up very roughly... so imagine them both straighter and tilted level and the license plate bump properly centered in the middle. Oh and ignore rust, I pounded out the two dents (certainly enough to paint over) and I kept the chrome carriage bolts to fill the square holes.

tKtW3MW.jpg

Quote to put the pics on this page.

Too fat. Though it very well may look less fat if not chrome. Are you painting them? I think you should either paint them or go thinner.

I have a rear Vega bumper you can have, it is 61 inches wide(outside to outside), and 59 inches on the inside, so the car needs to be around 58 inches wide where the bumper will mount., height wise it is just under 5 inches.

I don't have a photo hosting service so I have no way to post photos of it.

Thanks for the offer wayno. Hopefully I have this sorted by the next time we meet. There is that Firenza rear bumper.... it's thin like a 510. But this will expose the 710's valance on the front. Maybe I should get it also and see.

Maybe the rear one I have on the front? I'll try that tomorrow.

There are fiberglass Vega rear bumpers on ebay also, they come from Canada, but fitment depends on your measurements.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1977-Chevrolet-Vega-Fiberglass-Rear-Bumper-/122396634524?fits=Model%3AVega&hash=item1c7f686d9c:g:zZUAAOSwvg9XWsV9&vxp=mtr

The one on ebay is a better design that the one I have as mine has a cutout for the license plate while the ebay one does not and it looks better. 

I bought the one I have for my 520 build, but in the end I went with the split bumpers(bumperettes) as I didn't like the license plate cutout, Vega also had split bumpers although I never seen one with them that I recall.