A87 Mikuni 44 Forged Pistons upgraded Cam L20B Q's.

1979_datsun_620

IF IF IF I decide to keep my L20B...

remember I have a 5 speed L20B 1979 620 completely stock (hence my username), 

Would you recommend the following?

A87 Swap

add dual side drafts (Mikuni 44)

Replace my pistons (recommendations here!)

Upgrade my Cam (Recommendations here too!)

Header Swap and dual exhaust.

anything else to enhance the performance?

What should I anticipate as far as HP?

Are there any alternatives?

My goal is reliability and performance.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a KA. Cheaper and more power than a hopped-up $3000 L.

As if I didn't know this already, But even if I swapped a KA into my 620 there's still complimentary parts that I would need to purchase in order to fully perform the swap.

I was thinking of leaving this one with the original engine and later getting a pre-smog 510 and performing the swap.

As if I didn't know this already, But even if I swapped a KA into my 620 there's still complimentary parts that I would need to purchase in order to fully perform the swap.

I was thinking of leaving this one with the original engine and later getting a pre-smog 510 and performing the swap.

Buying and installing a KA would still be cheaper than buying just 50hp from an L.

As for your smog issues...I don't think you'll pass with a set of DCOEs. You'll fail with just a visual. Just saying.

• Like 1

You can't swap the head and you shouldn't anyway. The A87 is not an advantage.

You do not need forged pistons unless turbo or SC ing it. Stock are more than fine enough. If needing a rebuild you could overbore and go larger to L28 flattops. They can't be seen by the emissions Nazis and this will up your compression a bit.

You can't go  to anything but a stock carb. What you could do is keep the stock carb and intake and swap it back on for any smog checks.

Header is out unless it has provisions for EGR which is needed on the '79 emissions. Header may still be illegal.

Cam is hidden but will likely throw your emissions into a FAIL. Again you could swap the stock one in for any tests.

• Like 1

...go with last sentence. In the meantime, do your homework as far as what hardware u need and how to.

Why is this a topic if you need to pass inspection?  I don't even think you can run a Weber DGV and pass.  Unless you re-license the truck as a '74?

There is an optimum length for header primary tubes.  If you go too long or too short, performance will fall off.  I didn't realize how critical header design is until I bought the software and learned how to measure an individual pulse volume.  You want a header tube that can hold 4, 8, 16, or 32 pulses.  Collectors go at one of those margins.    Dual exhaust would sound like burrito ass.  

• Like 1

As for your smog issues...I don't think you'll pass with a set of DCOEs. You'll fail with just a visual. Just saying.

Many years ago, I had dual Mikuni 44 side drafts on my 1984 Toyota truck (22R engine) here in California. I knew it wasn't even remotely smog legal, but I took it to a smog shop as a joke to see what they'd say (too bad there was no youtube at the time). The guy looked at it while doing a visual....his comment was that I needed to somehow incorporate the stock air filter assembly "in there" and it would be fine. He seemed so factual in his explanation, which is what made it even more funny at the time. Forget the headers, no cat (did it even have a cat? Can't recall).

By the way, there are some counties in California that don't require smog inspections. ;) You're lucky if you happen to have a vehicle registered in those counties...even if you don't live there. ;)

Why is this a topic if you need to pass inspection? I don't even think you can run a Weber DGV and pass. Unless you re-license the truck as a '74?

There is an optimum length for header primary tubes. If you go too long or too short, performance will fall off. I didn't realize how critical header design is until I bought the software and learned how to measure an individual pulse volume. You want a header tube that can hold 4, 8, 16, or 32 pulses. Collectors go at one of those margins. Dual exhaust would sound like burrito ass.

...he can be thrilling just to rub our rhubarb. Yeh, you can't even buy a smog legal 32.36 weber and yes there's some counties in Cali. That don't need smog, prolly in the middle of the desert or areas where's there's not that many peeps.

He lives in California, he cannot do a KA swap, he likely cannot do anything to his 1979 Datsun 620, at least not anything visible.

Why do you say he cannot do a KA swap? It may not be easy or cheap, but anyone can swap to any engine as long as it's the same year or newer than the vehicle and retains the OEM emissions equipment from that engine.

He can do the swap but he will need to do all these steps before its legit. My take and seems the easiest and wises, if in California, buy a truck or car that's 75 or below, now less second guessing, weather or not it will be certified by BAR and smog. Minimize the steps and buy 75 and below.

He can do the swap but he will need to do all these steps before its legit. My take and seems the easiest and wises, if in California, buy a truck or car that's 75 or below, now less second guessing, weather or not it will be certified by BAR and smog. Minimize the steps and buy 75 and below.

I understand all that and I think most people here understand it too, but I was trying to figure out why Wayno thought it couldn't be done.

Why do you say he cannot do a KA swap? It may not be easy or cheap, but anyone can swap to any engine as long as it's the same year or newer than the vehicle and retains the OEM emissions equipment from that engine.

OK, I am sure there is a way, and I would likely cringe when I asked for the paperwork/rules from the state of California to do say a KA swap into a late 620, I would hope that following every rule in that paperwork that I could get thru emissions, but I would not hold my breath as I would likely suffocate.

Being that your in that industry and have done it in the past, you likely know some of the people in the emissions station, you likely know which station to go to and which line to get into so that if the sniffer passes it, it will also pass visual because they know what they are looking at instead of getting someone that has not a clue and it just fails because they don't know what they are looking at, or when they see something like a KA swap do they tell you to go to that line?

I already told my emissions story about my diesel truck so I know there are folks in them places that do not know what they are doing, but the point is that when something odd is brought into one of them places Like a KA swap or a Datsun diesel in my case, it is likely best if you get the right person which you likely know who the right person is if you do swaps for a living, and when I said right person, I mean a person that knows exactly what they are looking at.

I have heard a lot of stories about vehicles and emissions down there, no one talks about the ones that pass, they just go get their tags and smile every time they drive it, I am sure there are a lot of them down there, we just don't hear about them or how much it cost them either.

OK, I am sure there is a way, and I would likely cringe when I asked for the paperwork/rules from the state of California to do say a KA swap into a late 620, I would hope that following every rule in that paperwork that I could get thru emissions, but I would not hold my breath as I would likely suffocate.

Being that your in that industry and have done it in the past, you likely know some of the people in the emissions station, you likely know which station to go to and which line to get into so that if the sniffer passes it, it will also pass visual because they know what they are looking at instead of getting someone that has not a clue and it just fails because they don't know what they are looking at, or when they see something like a KA swap do they tell you to go to that line?

I already told my emissions story about my diesel truck so I know there are folks in them places that do not know what they are doing, but the point is that when something odd is brought into one of them places Like a KA swap or a Datsun diesel in my case, it is likely best if you get the right person which you likely know who the right person is if you do swaps for a living, and when I said right person, I mean a person that knows exactly what they are looking at.

I have heard a lot of stories about vehicles and emissions down there, no one talks about the ones that pass, they just go get their tags and smile every time they drive it, I am sure there are a lot of them down there, we just don't hear about them or how much it cost them either.

its all about the paperwork 

you have to do it right and get the referee to tag it 

then its all good 

IF IF IF

Would you recommend the following?

My goal is reliability and performance.

NO!

IF you can afford what you wish to do, then you could afford the KA swap, CARB compliant.

Otherwise a simple rebuild will get you reliability and add a bit of performance

, no one talks about the ones that pass, they just go get their tags and smile every time they drive it, I am sure there are a lot of them down there, we just don't hear about them or how much it cost them either.

You should see my smile in my JDM diesel 4x4 van, Ca registered.