78 620, L20B foreign matter in combustion chamber.

Atikin9000

The PVC will not work where you put it, you might as well delete it if that is where it is, the PCV has to

be on the intake manifold, and it is best placed where the plate is that you made.

Where it is now is just a dead end for the engine/block breather tube, now all the air either gets sucked in or blows

out the valve cover vent, there is not enough vacuum to make the PCV work where you have it.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can, but you do not have a PCV valve anymore.

Crappy catch can then? It needs vacuum right?

I can probably tap the hole still down the road, I filled it with a small amount of jb weld, but now there’s the issue with debris in the intake.

I might be getting it wrong since I believe there’s pressure coming from the crankcase, I know this was already gone over a couple of pages back, and I remember mike mentioning catch cans and having to empty them.

Crappy catch can then? It needs vacuum right?

You could put it where that plug is on the number 1 and 2 intake runners if it will fit the hole, but all the fumes would go thru them cylinders only, number 3 and 4 would not get any of that air, it is best placed just under the carb where the plate is you made.

Why don't you just find another intake manifold that has the PCV in another place like the one in this photo that Mike posted.

55gOPt8.jpg

Just take your cover plate back off and tap it. There's maybe enough thickness or make another out of thicker aluminum to tap.

The PCV is well worth the bother to keep functional. Over 60 years ago you would be considered very lucky to get 100,000 miles out of most engines. If the oil was changed every 1,000 to 2,000 miles you might, and most engines didn't even have filters. Oil and bearings have come along way but to off set this, these engines didn't make much HP either. The PCV will keep the oil cleaner and extend the change interval. My dad had a 6 year old '51 Chev. I remember our neighbor helping him change the bearings in it. Bearings were made soft like butter so that any foreign debris would embed and not scratch the journalcs No oil pump so no filter. Everything was splash lubricated. The rocker arms relied on the crankshaft 'scooping' oil and pushing it up to the top of the engine which could take several minutes to get there. The oil pan had over a half inch of sediment in the bottom. It was a light colored paste like putty that had to be scraped out. With no filter there was no need for detergent oils. You wanted dirt to settle quickly rather than be carried to the bearings.

Well today was the day to try and start it, took a couple of videos, this one was the closest to it running.

What worries me is the rattling noise, sounds like the chain.

Having some car woes at the moment and feeling is screwed everything up.

The carb is absolute garbage so that doesn’t help it not firing, and yes I tried using starting fluid.

I would check the set it up again, turn it to TDC, pull the valve cover and make sure both valves on number one are somewhere around 10am-2pm/11am-3pm, if not turn the crank one turn and check the valves again as it might be 180 out, once that is right pull the distributor cap off while it is at TDC and look where the rotor is pointing, it should be pointing directly at the post and that is number one spark plug wire, if that is correct disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump, then pour around a teaspoon of gas down the carb and it should start and run for a couple seconds, if it doesn't start then something else is wrong, check the firing order, 1, 3, 4, 2 counter clock wise, don't assume it is right, check it, it is counter clock wise 1, 3, 4, 2.

Don't use starting fluid, use a small amount of gas(teaspoon), it will run for a few seconds and die, then figure out if fuel is getting to the carb, personally I fill the carb bowl up with fuel using a vent tube, if you believe it is not getting fuel then have someone pump on the gas pedal while you are looking down the carb, do you see it squirt, if not you are not getting fuel.

I would check the set it up again, turn it to TDC, pull the valve cover and make sure both valves on number one are somewhere around 10am-2pm/11am-3pm, if not turn the crank one turn and check the valves again as it might be 180 out, once that is right pull the distributor cap off while it is at TDC and look where the rotor is pointing, it should be pointing directly at the post and that is number one spark plug wire, if that is correct disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump, then pour around a teaspoon of gas down the carb and it should start and run for a couple seconds, if it doesn't start then something else is wrong, check the firing order, 1, 3, 4, 2 counter clock wise, don't assume it is right, check it, it is counter clock wise 1, 3, 4, 2.

Don't use starting fluid, use a small amount of gas(teaspoon), it will run for a few seconds and die, then figure out if fuel is getting to the carb, personally I fill the carb bowl up with fuel using a vent tube, if you believe it is not getting fuel then have someone pump on the gas pedal while you are looking down the carb, do you see it squirt, if not you are not getting fuel.

This might be dumb but I’m so confused.

I’m getting three different things, does the firing order follow the piston order.

I have my wires hooked up this way at the moment with the rotor pointing to the number 1 post at TDC

lBnRMJ7.jpg

Red line being the spark plug wires.

lol smokes just a little bit, this thing has been a pain in the ass, really hoping it’ll clear its throat and clean out, we did spray a bunch of starter fluid into it yesterday and probably flooded it so who knows but for now it runs.

Ran it for or a total of maybe 2 minutes cause I didn’t want to smoke my neighbors out.

Two minutes isn't enough time to burn off any oily fingerprints. What about the oil on the valve stems when it was assembled? Take for a drive.

Check the oil level. Coolant may have dribbled into the pan when the head was removed and raised it.

You didn't change the oil?

Does your exhaust smell like cotton candy - burnt antifreeze?  That's WAY too much smoke.  Its one thing for the motor to smoke while oil burns off and paint cures.   Its another to blow a massive amount of smoke out the tailpipe.   The only thing that comes out the tailpipe is what goes into in the combustion chamber.  You have something in excess.  Fuel, water, ???

How long did u drive it for? Takes maybe 10 min for temp. To read when its very cold.

About 10 minutes, needle never moved. My ignition tumbler/switch came loose so have to hold it from

The back to turn the key lol. Also the shifter bushing is toast and is flimsier than a plastic bag. And boy oh boy the factory steering wheel feels like your driving the truck with a coat hanger.

But I sure do love it.