What to purchase when swapping to KA24DE 1979 620. (SoCal Newb)

1979_datsun_620

After consideration. I have decided to swap my stock L20B to a KA24DE engine with transmission.

But of course I have a few question.

I have viewed Mikes swap and I am VERY MOTIVATED!

As of today, everything is stock in my truck.

1) Which KA would you recommend or is there a difference between an Altima, frontier, 240sx?

2) If there is a superior model of the KA, how can I identify that I am purchasing the correct engine?

3) Other than engine, transmission, mounts, what additional parts do I need to purchase?

4) Where could I Purchase the engine?

5) Roughly, How much am I looking at spending on parts and complementary parts alone?

Thank you in advanced!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's Mike?

1.) Not Altima. Everything faces the firewall.

Grab one from a 240sx if you can. Better MPI intake vs the Frontier's TBI setup.

2.) Meh. Just don't get suckered in to buying o e from an Altima.

3.) ECU and harness from THAT engine. A truck harness won't work on a car motor or vice-versa. (It will, but not easily.)

4.) That depends on your area. CL would be a fine source. Watch out for ads claiming swapped in an SR20. Chances of the KA being trashed-upon are high.

5.) Lots. Lots and lots

• Like 1

1) The best would be a frontier KA24DE with a 240SX Intake and ECU. This is in no way a simple thing. 

2) See above, rear sump and easy wiring. 

3) It's hard to say what parts you will need, it really depends on the motor configuration you choose and the condition that motor is in. 

4) Craigslist...like flatcat said. Facebook parts groups might be a good place also. 

5) Figure $3500, you may go over....if your under that's a win, but don't expect to make any money back selling the truck. 

• Like 1

This swap has been done many times with a variety of different combinations and varying degrees of documentation. Redeye above makes motor mount brackets, but so far as I'm aware doesn't have trans mounts yet so if planning to run a 240sx trans you will have to modify your cross member to fit. Additionally considering how long the 240 trans is it's a giant pain in the ass to get in and out.

I'd tack $1500 on to redeye's budget estimate to include a rebuild on whatever engine you go with. You may not need the extra money, but better to plan to need it and not than not plan for it and need it.

Otherwise what everyone else has said.

• Like 1

As UC stated there are lots of ways to accomplish this.

"Easiest" to install, as in closest to physically fitting, would be:

D21/d22 KA

720 short trans

But there are plenty of combinations, all of which can work of you try hard enough.

But really, unless you intend to become a KA expert, you will buy lots of wrong parts.

So do as Stoff advised. Buy a complete vehicle and swap from it. I would say buy a truck.

• Like 1

Car engine has crank girdle and difficult to modify the oil pan for a fit. Truck engine is much easier and also lighter. You can even put an L20B distributor and a carburetor on them for a non efi swap.

Use a 2wd truck transmission they are the same as the car and shorter.

Buy a running D21 that you can drive and see how well it runs.

You will need a modified transmission mount, shortened and balanced driveshaft, larger rad that fits between the 620 head lights. Engine brackets from ]2eDeYe. Graft the down pipe to you exhaust system or replace it all. If EFI you will need a high pressure fuel pump and a CanAm box..

• Like 1