Advice for evaluating L20b...or any used engine?

Angela

Hello Ratsuners,

I searched for some pointers to help me evaluate a used engine I might be considering. Couldn't find much so thought I'd put this out there to the masses & see what consensus is.

There's an L20b available that's local to me. Owner said he bought it 25 yrs ago from a guy that said it "wouldn't stop leaking" & he'd "changed the head gasket  but didn't have the gasket properly aligned where the timing chain goes through". The guy who has it now said he'd "popped the head off & found the problem".

At the time, this guy had a 510 with an SSS L18 & didn't need the L20b so it sat.

Fast forward to 8 yrs ago. This guy sold his 510 & drives Fiat Spiders now. He has a decent set of 510 bumpers, a splash pan, a couple of decent front grilles...& the L20b left over from his Datsun days that he's looking to get rid of.

How can I determine the condition of the L20b if it isn't installed, hasn't run in decades & was passed down from a guy to another guy with only his word regarding its condition? Is this even possible?

I know he's motivated to get rid of this stuff & seems as though making money is not a big priority for him. Even if I got it for free...would it be worth hauling it & storing it? My crazy Datsunitis disease says "well of course it's worth it...it's a Datsun part..y'never know" but my level-headed, practical side says...eh, hold up there gal...seek wisdom from Ratsun before doing anything foolish.

Opinions/advice requested & welcome.

Thanks,

Angela

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pop the valve cover off and look at condition, turn engine by hand, see if it turns and watch valve train. There's also ways you can hook up a starter and battery but you need somekind of stand or support, check out YouTube, seen this before and its a good way to hear engine run. Yeh, if its free may,be worth to keep it.

• Like 2

Yeah I just bought a used L16 and took the sellers word for it mostly.  I did pop the valve cover (looked good) and looked at everything on the outside.  The seller seemed trust worthy (yet to deliver the tranny so who knows if he is or not) so I just bought it for $200.  

Like others said just have to take a leap of faith and even if it is junk you can least learn from it and not have to learn it from an engine in the car.  That alone has helped me a lot.  

• Like 1

Back in the days, I saw an ad for a 20r toyota engine and my 75 Celica needed an engine. Picked it up in SF and the adian looked honest and said the engine was rebuilt 5 years ago. Only wanted 100.00 since they just their house. So I took off the valve cover, cam looked okay, springs were all there, no sludge. Then I turned the engine by hand and turned oky. That engine lasted me 5 years till the head gasket went out. Perform basic stuff and take a chance. How much is the L20, anyway?

• Like 1

Back in the days, I saw an ad for a 20r toyota engine and my 75 Celica needed an engine. Picked it up in SF and the adian looked honest and said the engine was rebuilt 5 years ago. Only wanted 100.00 since they just their house. So I took off the valve cover, cam looked okay, springs were all there, no sludge. Then I turned the engine by hand and turned oky. That engine lasted me 5 years till the head gasket went out. Perform basic stuff and take a chance. How much is the L20, anyway?

No price has been discussed yet as originally, I was inquiring about the set of 510 bumpers, grilles & splash pan as a bundled, package deal (I am supposed to take a look at everything he has Wednesday after work) to make an offer. As we were talking about that stuff, he mentioned he also had an L20b if I was interested in taking all this Datsun stuff off his hands. He is not into Datsuns anymore...got rid of his 510 nearly 10yrs ago.

• Like 1

You have space? And truck?

Yes, I have just a little space & I have my Toyota Tacoma to haul it off...just don't have the brawn or help to get it loaded/unloaded easily. Gotta figure that out still if this deal ends up happening.

• Like 1

No easy way to know until it's in and running. If free take it. Otherwise it's worth what the individual parts are worth in use to you. I have two L20B engines covered up in the back yard. I need a carb part it's right there. A bolt.. right there.

• Like 2

Pop the valve cover off and look at condition, turn engine by hand, see if it turns and watch valve train. There's also ways you can hook up a starter and battery but you need somekind of stand or support, check out YouTube, seen this before and its a good way to hear engine run. Yeh, if its free may,be worth to keep it.

That is a great suggestion.

I thought I'd share one of the better ones.

https://youtu.be/uPcp-P5nxRE 

• Like 1

Yeah I just bought a used L16 and took the sellers word for it mostly.  I did pop the valve cover (looked good) and looked at everything on the outside.  The seller seemed trust worthy (yet to deliver the tranny so who knows if he is or not) so I just bought it for $200.  

Like others said just have to take a leap of faith and even if it is junk you can least learn from it and not have to learn it from an engine in the car.  That alone has helped me a lot.  

Well d.p, I'm kinda thinking "leaps of faith" might be akin to cats supposedly having 9 lives. I just took a big leap of faith buying my 521 & driving it 4 long hours in the dark after doing a minimal inspection/test drive. That trip alone had to be worth at least 8 of those 9  :angel:

We'll see. Afterall, the leap of faith I took buying a stored L16 with A87 peanut head & attached 5speed from a guy several years ago paid off very sweetly. Put that in my wagon & she's still purring. Best $200 I've spent in a long time.

• Like 1

I love hearing those stories. That's what is about with these old cars. A lot of parts are gone, just have to make due with what you can get and I bet you what ever u get from that guy, someone here will need it or sell some at a meet and fund more toys. Good luck..and let us know what happened.

• Like 2

Well d.p, I'm kinda thinking "leaps of faith" might be akin to cats supposedly having 9 lives. I just took a big leap of faith buying my 521 & driving it 4 long hours in the dark after doing a minimal inspection/test drive. That trip alone had to be worth at least 8 of those 9  :angel:

We'll see. Afterall, the leap of faith I took buying a stored L16 with A87 peanut head & attached 5speed from a guy several years ago paid off very sweetly. Put that in my wagon & she's still purring. Best $200 I've spent in a long time.

Well you should already have your answer then.   

• Like 2

Advice on this topic is completely subjective. If you are capable (and willing) to install the new engine to see how it runs, that's the best way to find out for sure.

I figure it's all a gamble and sometimes, a gamble worth taking. If you get it for next to nothing, then what do you have to lose? If you pay $400-$500 for it and it runs great, then your gamble paid off. If it doesn't run and needs a rebuild, then you're out the time and the money But the chances of it being a complete turd can be lessened by a good visual check up front. Trust your senses. If it looks and smells burnt, then it was probably not very well taken care of. If you see scratched, rusted or pitted wear surfaces, it may be superficial, or it may be the death rattle sounding for that engine.

Even if you had to completely rebuild the L20B, it should cost you no more than $1500 for an inexpensive yet competent rebuild.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok you guys & gals,

Here's the update:

I took the drive to check out this guy's leftover parts from his Datsun days & made him a deal for all of it. He threw the L20b in for free! I didn't actually have the means to haul it home today but I did get the following parts (some I'll put up for sale to fund my projects, some I'll keep as spares):

L20b

1 69-73 (?) 510 Grille with "Datsun" emblem

1 early 510 Grill with center "D" emblem

3 chrome front hood trim pieces

1 lower front grille piece

1 510 sedan chrome front bumper

1 510 sedan rear bumper

1 splash pan

2 Hitachi carbs

1 Haynes manual

1 similar type manual

I'd say it was a good day  :thumbup:

• Like 5

7796560001_large.jpg

'DATSUN' grill was '68

fe52f25819c4574115013a3980f508dc.jpg

'D' grill was '69

Thanks Mike for the clarification. Was gonna look back under old posts but figured FuckBucket sabotaged any reference pics anyway. So, I got a "D" grille from 1969 then. The other one is just like the one on my '71 wagon.

• Like 1