29 replies to this topic

#21 stevecar

stevecar

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cars:L320

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

Yes, the 1500 Roadster sender is the same as the 320 except for the arm being bent different.

I will take some pictures tomorrow of both side-by-side and try to figure out how to post them here. If I can't figure it out I will mail them to you Wayne - since you know how to do it.

Steve

#22 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,297 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

Yes, the 1500 Roadster sender is the same as the 320 except for the arm being bent different.

I will take some pictures tomorrow of both side-by-side and try to figure out how to post them here. If I can't figure it out I will mail them to you Wayne - since you know how to do it.

Steve

My email is in the "truck brothers list".

It seems to me that the very early 1500 Roadster sender could be used no matter which way the arm is pointed as one can just turn the sender till it clears everything inside the tank and screw it in(5 different positions), but how far the float drops and lifts is hard to control, I think getting it near empty would be the most important, full is where ever it is, empty is kinda important.

I believe I have a later 66/67 Roadster sender, as it will bolt right onto the tank, but all the way down(empty) shows as full on the gauge, the arm holding the float looks alright, and it is actually held in position in the sender with a collar, and I was thinking it might be reversible, meaning pull it out of one side and insert it in the other side and tighten down the collar, but this action eliminates the stops . but if the early 1500 unit is available I would suggest just buying one of those if it will fit.

Of course a new wire on a new sending unit(late 1500/1600 if the early ones are not available) maybe could just be bent the other way, but I am always in fear that bending a wire/rod 180 degrees after it was bent 90 degrees will break it, although I don't believe it would have to be bent 180 degrees, it looks closer to 100/110 degrees back, if it really needed to be bent back 180 degrees I would generally try to remove it and twist it instead, then re-install it if I could.

#23 stevecar

stevecar

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

OK, I give up on trying to post pics on this site.

Wayne, I think I emailed them to you. If you don't get them, let me know and we will try something else.

Steve

#24 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,297 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

That was a pain, I had to refresh/restore my computer yesterday and everything is different now.

P9220152.jpg

P9220153.jpg

This is good to know, they look the same except for the ground screw which is positive on the truck, so the early 1500 Roadster sender appears to be the same as the truck, aftermarket support is always good, to bad Datsun Roadster parts are so expensive.

#25 stevecar

stevecar

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for posting Wayne.

I don't know what you mean by "except for the ground screw". The Roadster 1500 is also positive ground.

#26 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Cars:1966 520, 1967 520, 1985 720 ST King Cab, 1986 720 King Cab

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

With the 1500 Roadster also being a positive ground, I would think that the 2 senders would be interchangeable.

#27 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,297 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for posting Wayne.

I don't know what you mean by "except for the ground screw". The Roadster 1500 is also positive ground.

Your Welcome

I guess I don't think about positive ground being a ground, I think about the body being the hot and every other wire in the vehicle being a ground. :lol:

#28 Crashtd420

Crashtd420

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Cars:1972 Datsun 521

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:56 AM

OK, I give up on trying to post pics on this site.
Wayne, I think I emailed them to you. If you don't get them, let me know and we will try something else.
Steve

Try using postimage...
I only post from my phone and I have had good luck with it..
Once you upload the pic they have a
"Hotlink to forum" button use that to post to ratsun.... goodluck...

#29 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Cars:Datsun 320

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

Is this the correct sending unit?

http://www.datsunparts.com/1365

#30 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,297 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

Is this the correct sending unit?

http://www.datsunparts.com/1365

That I believe is for a later 1965-67 Datsun Roadster, I have one and the float in the lower position(empty) reads as full on the 320 gauge, but as I said you might be able to bend the float mount wire back 100/110 degrees without breaking it and make it work, maybe.  :hmm:

I believe you want part number 172-09 in the link below, but you have to call them and see if available, ask if it is a positive ground unit as that is what I believe we need for are positive ground 320 trucks.

http://www.datsunroa...RIES/gauges.htm

I would spend the money to buy the proper one that bolts in and works the first time, I would not buy anything if what you have works, test the hot wire by grounding it out on clean metal, if the gauge moves to full then the gauge works, then pull your sender out and see if it is jammed up solid or if the float has holes in it, then I would bench test the sender outside of the tank..