Home Built Z 'Full video build'

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Duncan said:

What type of paint is it that won't match if you paint pieces separately?  I've not heard that before..   

It is a full 3 layer paint, similar to a true candy apple. I explained it in an earlier video, but a candy apple red paint job is a layer of silver, then a translucent red (just like a toffee apple) laid over the top. Depending on how man coats and how heavy the coats are the lighter or darker the red will be.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Duncan said:

I painted guitars for a long time.  Didn't realize it was a Candy paint. 

Gold metallic is also great for a Candy Red base...

Absolutely, there are a heap of bases that work really well for candy. To be honest Silver only works really well on small things like guitars. I have done whole cars with a silver base but it is very difficult to not get train tracks in it. It works much better on big things with paint like I am using which is a blue base with a blue top coat.

I have never done a Candy color on a vehicle. I tend to stay with single stage urethane.  I just did a 1600 wagon with single stage, and I think that will probably be the last one, due to the difficulty in repairing and blending the new "environment friendly" paints. 

Anyway, great job on the Z.  Looking forward to see it completed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...