#1 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cars:'71 240Z, '73 911

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:26 AM

Hey guys,

I have owned my '71 240Z for around 12 months now, and this week I have finally been able to start work on it. I bought it as someone else's project, that they tore apart, but never got around to doing much beyond that. I saw a diamond in the rough, as it was a complete car (well all the bits are there) and it has almost zero rust. I know lots think that, but the shell is amazingly clean.

I have been working on another project, a '73 Porsche 911 RSR inspired build, for a while now, but I have reached a stopping point as I am waiting for custom engine parts. This means it is time for the Z. I first needed to replace the front wheel bearings on the 911 so I could put wheels on it and move it out of the way. I then got into doing a stocktake on my Z to see what it needed, and start formulating a plan for the build.

Here is the episode.

#2 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

Welcome  :thumbup:

#3 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:41 PM

Welcome  :thumbup:

Thanks mate. This is my first Z (although my first car was a 200B wagon). I have a lot to learn, but I love jumping in the deep end  B)

#4 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts
  • Cars:71 Datsun 510 and 65 Mustang Fastback

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

Nice video...

#5 frank88

frank88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cars:Volvo V50, VW Golf 1.4 TSI, 620LB (in transit)

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

Ive been following your porche build from the beginning. Top quality videos and nice to see you on here mate. Looking forward to the progress

#6 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the fresh challenges of the Datsun. Should be fun.

#7 Bleach

Bleach

French Administrator

• User Administrator
  • 6,720 posts
  • Cars:280Z and 280ZX turbo

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

:D well made video and nice shop!

Datsun 240Z video part 1: doesn't touch the Datsun until 6 minutes into the video :)

Thank you Ted!
sig31.jpg
BleachGarage.com - - Datsun Shows in the year 2017 - - Bleach Garage on YOUTUBE
I wished I lived in the golden age; giving it up on the broadway stage
Hang with the Ratsuns, smoke cigars; just have a break with Frank and count the stars

#8 240zness

240zness

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • Cars:'71 240z, '80 200sx

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

Wow no rust ,really!!

Nice sketch

#9 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

This week I get into stripping the many many layers and years of paint and bog off of the Z. It is a very slow messy job, but it has to be done.

#10 Farmer

Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Cars:'78 Datsun 620 KingCab

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

Subscribed

#11 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

Mrs. Jeff is pretty but then I'm a sucker for brunettes and I think its cool she's into cars and supports your endeavor.

#12 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,123 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

We all know what you are talking about no matter how you say Datsun, Datson, Dotsun, or even Datsoon, I search them all on Craigslist every once in a while, young people don't even know what they are around here.

I am not really a car guy so I don't know a lot about Z cars, but it seems like you could have someone ship you a perfect headlight bucket, Z cars are all over the place over here, although 240Zs might be getting harder to find, but they are so popular that they likely have aftermarket support.

One of my customers owns a 1971 Datsun Fairlady with an L20 in it, it is also RHD, he bought it in Europe to drive around when he was in the military and they shipped it to the states when he finished his tour.

#13 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

We all know what you are talking about no matter how you say Datsun, Datson, Dotsun, or even Datsoon, I search them all on Craigslist every once in a while, young people don't even know what they are around here.

I am not really a car guy so I don't know a lot about Z cars, but it seems like you could have someone ship you a perfect headlight bucket, Z cars are all over the place over here, although 240Zs might be getting harder to find, but they are so popular that they likely have aftermarket support.

One of my customers owns a 1971 Datsun Fairlady with an L20 in it, it is also RHD, he bought it in Europe to drive around when he was in the military and they shipped it to the states when he finished his tour.

I am really stubborn, and I will keep working it until it is right ;) 

Mrs. Jeff is pretty but then I'm a sucker for brunettes and I think its cool she's into cars and supports your endeavor.

I wouldn't say she is into cars, but she is very tolerant, which is the next best thing ;) 

#14 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:41 PM

I am really stubborn, and I will keep working it until it is right ;)
I wouldn't say she is into cars, but she is very tolerant, which is the next best thing ;)

...I say more power to you. Most people don't have that kind of patience.

#15 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:41 PM

This week I have a go at making a stud puller to do some dent repairs and I pull the engine out of the car.

#16 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,123 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

And this is what I was talking about, I don't know if it will actually fit your car though.

https://portland.cra...6305346740.html

#17 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

And this is what I was talking about, I don't know if it will actually fit your car though.

https://portland.cra...6305346740.html

I am happy with how mine has come out, and it is rust free. That looks good and a good price, but shipping it across the globe is less than ideal.

#18 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,123 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

I am happy with how mine has come out, and it is rust free. That looks good and a good price, but shipping it across the globe is less than ideal.

I have no doubt shipping is expensive, it's expensive from there to here also, most the time it costs more to ship the part than I paid for the part, but I have found parts over there that I cannot even get here, so it is worth it, I actually bought a side trim set for my U320 and found out it didn't fit, the U320 is about 6 inches longer than any other 320 made, I thought the V320 was the same as the U320, I was wrong.

I didn't watch the video on you pulling the engine yet, I don't watch a lot of videos unless they are less than 5 minutes long, I cannot sit still that long. :lol:

#19 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

I have no doubt shipping is expensive, it's expensive from there to here also, most the time it costs more to ship the part than I paid for the part, but I have found parts over there that I cannot even get here, so it is worth it, I actually bought a side trim set for my U320 and found out it didn't fit, the U320 is about 6 inches longer than any other 320 made, I thought the V320 was the same as the U320, I was wrong.

I didn't watch the video on you pulling the engine yet, I don't watch a lot of videos unless they are less than 5 minutes long, I cannot sit still that long. :lol:

Ahh, ok. If you can do the video in a a couple of sittings, I actually finish off the headlight bucket and it comes out pretty good. It has been repaired too many times to get it 100% perfect, but it will now only require a very light skim of filler to get it perfect.

#20 Home Built by Jeff

Home Built by Jeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

This week I tackle stretched sheet metal with the bonnet repairs, and I start pulling apart the engine.