Just bought a 521

mainer311

6 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Try driving a roadster. Probably about the same width, just a little shorter and a lot lower.

Someone snapped a picture of me driving to work one morning and put it on Instagram with the caption "Gee, I didn't know I was in a game of Mario Kart this morning." A buddy of mine found it and said, hey isn't that you?

I own a roadster, and yes they are a lot lower, this is my Roadster with my ridged wing hangglider on it, I drove it this way for years in the 90s.

1967-datsun-roadster.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, greenthumb said:

I’m actually in Maine at the moment, enjoying a proper snowstorm

cheers

I wouldn’t say a proper snowstorm. My parents said they got about 8” at their house in southern Maine, which is about a foot and a half short of proper. Where are you?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I wouldn’t say a proper snowstorm. My parents said they got about 8” at their house in southern Maine, which is about a foot and a half short of proper. Where are you?

Lol! Where I'm from that would be rather improper. 

We're 45 min north of Auburn. Headed out here shortly en route to Bristol Conn, so pretty happy we don't have 2 feet

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, greenthumb said:

Lol! Where I'm from that would be rather improper. 

We're 45 min north of Auburn. Headed out here shortly en route to Bristol Conn, so pretty happy we don't have 2 feet

My wife is from Auburn. My parents live in Poland.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Okay guys, I went to put some grease in my kingpins this afternoon and was 2 for 4. The upper zerk on one side, and the lower zerk on the other won't take grease. I removed the zerks and they are clear. It seems that the old grease that's in there is so caked, it won't let the fresh stuff flow through.

Short of a complete rebuild, do you guys have tricks? It's pretty cold here right now. Maybe try a little heat?

a05d1af7-e7bf-4995-a009-f47c7853deeb.gif

A pox on king pins! Send all king pins back to hell where they belong.

I've popped the top press in cover disc? plug? with a grease gun before. I've heated them and had smoke/steam come out the other nipple when grease pumped in the other. Steering was always better on a Monday morning after a weekend of muddling to lubricate the pins.

• Like 1

Been working on my 1/24th Shakotan 620 a little bit too. Finally got the frame (c-notched) and front drop spindles, interior, and engine done. Need to paint the body to make any good progress. I’ll be using dragon green enamel from a can of touch up paint that I have.

RYdTTHs.jpg

O5st3QE.jpg

qwYptB8.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, you think I would’ve learned my lesson ordering parts on Amazon, but I guess not. Ordered a Moog ES2339A, which is a one piece steering tie rod. I received some other brand tie rod in a Moog box with nylock nuts pre-installed. The weird part is it included a baggie of extra boots, castle nuts, cotter pins, and zerks. The tie rod has no drill holes for cotter pins, no tapped holes for zerks, and looks nothing like the picture of an ES2339A.

EUeUk5B.jpg

Edited by mainer311
53 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:
"images are for representation purpose only actual product may differ "

Yeah, but I can tell this isn't a Moog tie rod. What's worse is, I don't even know if it's actually the right side. 

Speaking of which, does anyone the difference between the L and R side tie rods? Are they just mirrors of each other?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Yeah, but I can tell this isn't a Moog tie rod. What's worse is, I don't even know if it's actually the right side. 

Speaking of which, does anyone the difference between the L and R side tie rods? Are they just mirrors of each other?

Dunno but I bought the 555 tie rods on Ebay from Mexico and it had everything I needed.  They were branded L and R though but don't remember what the actual differences were.