Sd22 turbo?

Some1ne

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can turbocharge it, and from what I can tell the SD22 might survive it even thought it does not have turbo pistons.

To do it right you will need boost and EGT gauges, a turbocharger made for a 1600/1800cc gas engine, I used a used Subie(mid 90s) AWD turbocharger and it works great, most the SD series turbocharger threads I have read were failures due to the turbocharger being to large.

Read this thread of mine below.

http://www.nwdatsuns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1302

I also have this thread on my 720 turbodiesel, this thread is about all the stuff I tried to make it work.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3474&sid=e616c6fed1b6e3a0236cfebb3b446f08

This thread is also about my 521 turbodiesel and how I successfully put it together, as I recall this one also had a diagram on how I piped everything.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3474&sid=e616c6fed1b6e3a0236cfebb3b446f08

You will need to come up with a turbo exhaust manifold, I am having 4 made right now(all spoken for) but am not sure how much I am going to pay for them yet, I am sure I can have more made if the first one is successful, only time will tell, if you can weld cast you can make your own as I have photos in the thread links above.

I have SD25 engines in my builds/projects, I was lucky to find them, but I have talked to one guy that turbocharged his SD22 engine a decade ago, but he was running WVO oil thru his engine/injection pump and that tends to wear stuff out fast.

read the links above and ask questions, I will answer them if I can.

What all will i need to turbo charge it like parts. And how much do you think it will cost me?

It really depends on if you can weld/fabricate, if you can you can likely do it for a reasonable cost, the turbocharger can be found at the wrecking yard for under a $100.00, you need to find good one without a lot of play in the shaft made for a 1600cc engine, a 1800cc one might work(never turbocharged an SD22, you also need a boost gauge(under $50.00 new), the EGT gauge is expensive but you need one, I buy the Autometer 5744 kit but mine didn't come with the module and works fine, I don't know what the module is for in the link below, most kits are just under $200.00 shipped, I am sure there are cheaper kits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Autometer-Phantom-Series-2-1-16-EGT-Pyrometer-Gauge-Kit-With-Probe-5744-/282623431149?epid=1011811277&hash=item41cdab51ed:g:VT4AAOSwp1RZiZr3&vxp=mtr

You need a "T" and an oil line/fittings going from the vacuum pump oil supply to the turbocharger, that is likely under a $50.00 unless you make your own.

The turbo exhaust manifold is the big thing, if you can make your own then your good to go, you can either cut into the side of the exhaust manifold and weld a flange plate in and then block off the stock exhaust exit like in the photo below, or you can make a "U" pipe coming out of the exhaust exit and pipe it to the turbocharger where you mounted it, this creates issues on where the turbo exhaust pipe exits the engine compartment, not a lot of room down there.

DSCN6894.jpg

DSCN6895.jpg

The turbo piping going from the compressor to the throttle body can be made out of ABS and rubber pieces you can buy at the hardware store like in the photo below, the rubber piece connected to the throttle body in the photo was bought on ebay, I don't recall how much it cost, likely $30/$40 dollars, but I am sure something can be made with ABS fittings that will work.

DSCN6958.jpg

It's not easy or cheap to do this, but in my opinion it is worth the effort, I will never use/drive a SD series diesel engine without a turbocharger again, if you were closer I could help you or you could buy one already made like in the craigslist link below.

https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/d/nissan-diesel/6281520850.html

The turbo exhaust manifold is the main part needed, as I mentioned I am having 4 of them made now, but they likely will be near $300.00 shipped, maybe less, not likely more, but I will not know until they are done and in my hands.

The stock SD22 is 61hp, there is only so much you can do.

Unless you can fabricate everything you need to turbocharge your engine(intake/exhaust), you will need lots of money to pay others to do it, otherwise you are likely going to have to be happy with what you have, you should get at least 25mpg in the city, and you should get at least 27mpg or more hiway depending on how fast you are trying to go, but your not going to go anywhere fast, especially on a up hill grade.

I thought about trying to ram air down the throat of that engine with a scoop, the faster one went the more power it should have, but I have never seen or heard of anyone doing it, I suspect it will take a fairly large scoop to make any kind of difference, I also suspect that a large scoop will look goofy and when it rains it may kill the engine.

I wish I had better news for you, power costs money and time, it took me several years to get this turbo thing right, I had lots of failures, the 720 sat in may driveway over a year one time because I could not get it to run properly, basically it ran way to hot inside the engine, I thought if I drove it I would melt a piston, I am so happy I let it sit now instead of throwing caution to the wind and driving it, now that I figured it out I have not even come close to the EGT temps I was seeing before.

I am very happy I finally figured it out, except for the work truck I drive my 521 turbodiesel the most even though my 520KC ute gets way more attention, it's just fun to drive.

So what can i do to get some power/speed?

Turbocharger is about all I know for a significant power increase, or find a SD25 engine, but that is only 10hp more, but I could tell the difference, the SD25 cruised down the freeway way better than the SD22.

A exhaust shop might be able to pipe everything for you using the stock exhaust outlet with a U shaped pipe, but you will need to solidly mount the turbocharger above the alternator or in between the alt and starter somewhere, the guy mounted mine off the 2 front head bolt studs way up high, it works great but I have a hole in my hood that I don't like, that is why I am having another exhaust turbo manifold made, so I can lower the turbocharger and put my stock hood back on, I hate it sticking out of the hood.

DSCN3259.JPG

• 6 years later...
10 hours ago, Cooperjohn209 said:

I was trying to see pics of what you used to turbo charge the sd22 but they won’t come up. Could I see pics again? I have just rebuilt my motor and I’m restoring my 1982 thinking of adding this to the engine 

I helped my friend turbocharge his SD22 engine and I was not impressed, maybe it was the type of turbocharger used, on my SD25 engines the 1985/86 Subaru XT turbocharger is what I used and it works great, I suspect I went from 71hp to 120hp.

Where in Oregon are you located, I live in Vancouver WA and can help you if you need help.

I only come to Ratsun a few times a week.