Bluebirds for Sale

carterb

Oh man the fees!!!  I can't believe how much they charge in Japan to move a car around.  It's about $2,000 just to get this thing to port.  Not the US port - the outgoing port in Japan!

That seems on par for how far away from a main shipping port it is. My coupe was $1200 to ship from Tokyo to Naha, Okinawa.  It was shipped as a normal roll-on though and was driveable.

• Like 1
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well that depends doesn't it?  The importer is working out all the fees right now on this one so I can determine whether or not I wan to pursue it. 

But for example, the 1300DX I bought, I won the auction for the minimum bid of 450,000 yen which is about $4,000 US.  That was a non runner and quite a distance to the port so there was $2,000 for inland transport (seriously!), plus $25 document fee plus $850 commission for the broker plus $225 for vanning (packing the container) plus $250 freight and that just puts the car at the port in Japan.  When I paid the broker there was a $35 wire fee plus an unfavorable exchange rate between banks that cost another 2-3% or so on top of the invoice total.  When the car gets here I get to pay a portion of the container shipping cost, customs duties, and importer commission. (Another $1,000-$2,000?) and then tax and license.  In the end, the $4,000 car will cost me close to $10,000.  If I put it on the market I will ask a little above that for my trouble. 

The car above runs and drives and is not too far from Nagoya so hopefully the fees will be much less but the taxes will be much higher since the value of the car is 4-5X the 1300DX.  We'll see.  I'm still learning. 

It's not for the faint of heart but it sure is fun!  And how else do you get one of these beautiful cars?

--carter

• Like 2

Well that depends doesn't it?  The importer is working out all the fees right now on this one so I can determine whether or not I wan to pursue it. 

But for example, the 1300DX I bought, I won the auction for the minimum bid of 450,000 yen which is about $4,000 US.  That was a non runner and quite a distance to the port so there was $2,000 for inland transport (seriously!), plus $25 document fee plus $850 commission for the broker plus $225 for vanning (packing the container) plus $250 freight and that just puts the car at the port in Japan.  When I paid the broker there was a $35 wire fee plus an unfavorable exchange rate between banks that cost another 2-3% or so on top of the invoice total.  When the car gets here I get to pay a portion of the container shipping cost, customs duties, and importer commission. (Another $1,000-$2,000?) and then tax and license.  In the end, the $4,000 car will cost me close to $10,000.  If I put it on the market I will ask a little above that for my trouble. 

The car above runs and drives and is not too far from Nagoya so hopefully the fees will be much less but the taxes will be much higher since the value of the car is 4-5X the 1300DX.  We'll see.  I'm still learning. 

It's not for the faint of heart but it sure is fun!  And how else do you get one of these beautiful cars?

--carter

Thanks for the info. Let me know when it’s ready. I might be interested. Thank you.

damn how much to get this registered in wa?

2,280,000 Yen is about $20,500.

Add about $3,000-$3,500 for the Japanese broker to get it on a ship.

Add about $1,500-$2,000 for state-side importer plus customs fees etc.

Then add $2,000 for WA state tax and license.

So for around $27,500 you'll be driving the coolest car on the block.

Silver 1969 Bluebird SSS Coupe project  1,300,000 YEN

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u178899322

That's some serious money for tiny crappy pictures and vague description:

comment

Base car. Only those who understand old car bid-wish-do.
I need your help by a no claim no return.
The more nervous one refuses the bidding. Only those who can judge by the photograph ask.
The engine is separated from the block by the head. It is an SSS head. The handle is genuine, and the home button is kept.
The grill light is also removed and kept. It is a previous term. The gas tank is also removed. It must be cleaned before use.
Rust, rotten on the body. Stainless steel octopus feet, stainless steel muffler, middle is also stainless steel. Solex 44 pie, type 4, commonly known as NISMO cab.
The flowing tail has confirmed the operation. Sheet tear, dash cracked. There are many other problems, but the original car is all.
I can not tell by words, so please understand. There is a document. The engine is 1600.

(Added 22:55 on January 17, 2018)
Fender mirror is flat type. The state is not good.

large.kann5050-img320x240-1516196506gjjj

large.kann5050-img320x240-1516196555wwjx

large.kann5050-img240x320-1516196613gbrn

large.kann5050-img240x320-1516196517jgjw