Need help reviving 521

Datsunking

Well if that's the case they were definitely selling the wrong stuff a year or so ago for the 521... I'm certain it was listed as 1 1/2 in and out because I almost bought it. I changed my order at the last second...

The 521 came with both engines, late 68 and 69 thru Sept? had the J13 block, Sept 69 thru 1972 had the L16 block.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 521 came with both engines, late 68 and 69 thru Sept? had the J13 block, Sept 69 thru 1972 had the L16 block.

Thats what i thought but that doesn't explain why they would manufacturer a radiator for the L with 1-1/2 in and out if the j motors had it in different locations....

Long story short just make sure you check your old parts out before you order the new. I've seen things listed incorrectly like front wheel bearings and motor mounts and the manufacturer says it fits....

• Like 1

In the 1970's, almost all cars and trucks in the USA has either two 7 inch headlights, or four 5 3/4 inch headlights.  The low/high (outside) lights were 37.5/50 watt combo, and the high beam only were 37.5 watts.  SAE trade number on the high/lows is 4001, high beam only 4002.

There are many options in round headlights in the 5 3/4 inch size.  A lot of them are higher wattage than the stock headlights.  If you use a higher wattage lamps, a relay bypassing the headlight current past the original fuse box is a necessity.

• Like 1

Thats what i thought but that doesn't explain why they would manufacturer a radiator for the L with 1-1/2 in and out if the j motors had it in different locations....

Long story short just make sure you check your old parts out before you order the new. I've seen things listed incorrectly like front wheel bearings and motor mounts and the manufacturer says it fits....

All my 521 L block radiators have 1 1/2 inch inlets and outlets, the bottom one with a 90 degree bend, the J block had smaller inlets/outlets, they were closer to 1 1/4 inches, the top one might have been an 1 1/8th.

What size are your inlets/outlets on your L block radiator?

• Like 1

On another note when I bought the truck the guy had a pair or BMW headlights that he planned on installing an never did. I found the thread about installing these o this site. But it talks about the 510 not 521. I have found that the 521 has a metal plate the separates the engine nay from headlights. Did they remove this in order to install or are 521 different in that way from 510 i would hate to cut up the datsun.

• Like 1

All my 521 L block radiators have 1 1/2 inch inlets and outlets, the bottom one with a 90 degree bend, the J block had smaller inlets/outlets, they were closer to 1 1/4 inches, the top one might have been an 1 1/8th.

What size are your inlets/outlets on your L block radiator?

Ok I had myself alittle backwards... my radiator measured 35mm or 1.375....

Some of The radiators I saw were smaller, i ment to say I saw 32mm or 1.25...

I don't know where i got the 1 1/2...

• Like 1

I believe on a 510, the whole headlight bucket in the radiator core support is inside the engine bay.

On a 521, about 2/3 of the core support headlight bucket is inside the fender, outside of the engine bay.  Any cuts, or holes in the 521 headlight bucket will allow road grime from the tires to be thrown on to the headlights.

• Like 1

Clogged rad is almost always hard water deposits like the inside of an electric kettle. Take rad out and face the inlet/outlet up. Buy a jug of CLR . Pour in an top up with water. Every few hours shake it around a bit. I did mine but couldn't get to it for 3 days. No harm done and clean as a whistle.

The water here has very little dissolved minerals. Always top up with distilled water. And get a coolant recovery system installed. This will save your coolant from spitting out after shut downs and virtually eliminate topping up the rad.

• Like 1