California approved engine swaps.

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:59 AM

No, they can't make you install non-original equipment to pass emissions testing, but you need to be able to prove that is is, in fact, a "49 state" vehicle that has never been registered in CA, and you need to also be able to show what the original equipment was. If it was modified at any point, all the original equipment, no matter CA or 49 state, needs to be in place and operational.

Once, long ago, I brought in an out of state car with 49 state emissions equipment and I had to be sure that the proper federal emissions compliant sticker was on the fan shroud. Mine was missing so before I tried to register it, I bought a used fan shroud with the proper sticker, showing that it was 49 state legit. Without that sticker, they would have made me conform to CA standards.

CA used to charge an "entrance fee" of around $300 for bringing in non CA vehicles, but that rule was changed.

#42 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Cars:71 Datsun 510 and 65 Mustang Fastback

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

If people don't believe or second guessing, go to the ca DMV and or BAR website.

#43 nl320what

nl320what

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cars:63 NL320 4WD..... Member since 2008

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

CA DMV, smog and ref shops are the states money makers. 

Its horrible to deal with, pre 76 is the way to go.

63 NL320 4x4= 5spd,Power Disc Brakes,Power Tilt Steering.80% Completed as of 7/01/2017..Mobile Mechanic Webpage: http://actfast1234.wix.com/itsmycar

I need NL320 Doors or complete L320 Doors to use, will barter value :)

#44 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

that's what I try to tell folks ^, oh well, guess people have to find out themselves.  Also each state is different with their smog laws so good to do research before buying an old car.

#45 Daryl

Daryl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Cars:81 Datsun 210

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

L-series are solid & dependable. If it runs, then drive it till the horses jump the fence. At the same time you can collect and build up a swap-able drive-train.

Two cents on smog... Having dealt with smog recently, I can tell you it's quite informative. Get a manual and do a detailed analysis of complete emissions equipment. Diagnose, Replace & Test. Not that difficult nor a hassle. Once it passes it's a matter of maintaining the equipment.

Process is expensive.

Knowledge is base so a stack of manuals is gold.  Don't know if this helps but it's something.

Yoko-280k & counting... Get a Datsun, Don't Decide!

#46 tzagi

tzagi

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cars:240z, 280z

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

You know...there is another way.

but first..an introduction,  what makes vehicle A year x?

Farme? cab? body?.  No to all. what makes a vehicle a 76 instead of a 79 is the vin plates and associated title.

Shop around for a junked 76 or older and buy the title and plates, even from out of state...doesn't matter,  transfer (rivet) them to your 79, go register it.

Win win.

Done that a few times over the years, never had an issue, once the dmv inspector (Reno Nevada) even complimented on the "good job"

#47 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,395 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Wrong.

The frame is also stamped and if ever someone suspects, it's an easy matter to check that they dio not match. Wow fucking with the state and federal emission laws??? You would be jailed so friggin fast. Yes you may not be caught but what about the poor guy you sell it too. It could easily come back on you for fraud.

'76 do not have disc brakes, another give away.

Posted Image

#48 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

but first..an introduction, what makes vehicle A year x?
Farme? cab? body?. No to all. what makes a vehicle a 76 instead of a 79 is the vin plates and associated title.
Shop around for a junked 76 or older and buy the title and plates, even from out of state...doesn't matter, transfer (rivet) them to your 79, go register it.
Win win.
Done that a few times over the years, never had an issue, once the dmv inspector (Reno Nevada) even complimented on the "good job"

...that's Nevada, also here in Cali its 75 and below that don't need smog. For each state its different and best to go to DMV, bar, website to get what is required. Don't second this...

#49 Anonymous Waffle

Anonymous Waffle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Cars:76' 620 L.B.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

Wrong.

The frame is also stamped and if ever someone suspects, it's an easy matter to check that they dio not match. Wow fucking with the state and federal emission laws??? You would be jailed so friggin fast. Yes you may not be caught but what about the poor guy you sell it too. It could easily come back on you for fraud.

But it's government workers you're talking about here.. my dmv didn't even know or check my frame vin. 

73%20Datsun%20510_zpsboqn0gll.png

#50 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,395 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

I said they could. If you drive like a dick a cop will be looking for things to hit you with. Someone you know might rat you out.

but first..an introduction,  what makes vehicle A year x?

Farme? cab? body?.  No to all. what makes a vehicle a 76 instead of a 79 is the vin plates and associated title.

Shop around for a junked 76 or older and buy the title and plates, even from out of state...doesn't matter,  transfer (rivet) them to your 79, go register it.

Win win.

Now the whole world knows.

On the farm we used to fuck the sheep.... but we never told anyone.

Posted Image

#51 tzagi

tzagi

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

Wrong.

Not wrong. and no one cares about frame numbers.

If your frame is rusted and you replace it with another? what then?when you buy a frame does it need a title?

Think about it, by law there is no part of a car or truck that you cannot replace to effect the title status.

PS...and if you add disc brakes on your 76..then what.  I done that in the past on a 73, nasty biz...you gotta alter the a-arms...would have been simpler to just change the frame.

#52 thisismatt

thisismatt

Senior Damon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Cars:'71 521, '69 521 donor

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

Wait, so I can put a 73 Datsun vin on a Ford Raptor and make it smog exempt? Sweet!
I'm your huckleberry.

One jump ahead of the lawmen
That's all, and that's no joke
These guys don't appreciate I'm broke

#53 tzagi

tzagi

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

Old phrase...

Everybody pees in the pool...just not from the diving board!

So no...but if you are to graft a 620 body onto a raptor frame and drive train...(I seen much worst), come to think about it....not a bad idea at all.

#54 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,395 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Not wrong. and no one cares about frame numbers.

If your frame is rusted and you replace it with another? what then?when you buy a frame does it need a title?

Think about it, by law there is no part of a car or truck that you cannot replace to effect the title status.

PS...and if you add disc brakes on your 76..then what.  I done that in the past on a 73, nasty biz...you gotta alter the a-arms...would have been simpler to just change the frame.

Wrong again. Why do they put VINs on the frame?  Cause most dim wits won't go to the bother to change them and really can't anyway. Putting a '74 vin tag on a '79 does not make it a '74.  Pre '78s didn't have disc brakes. The point is an inspector may know this. Now you might have a '76 with a disc brake swap but he's already suspicious now and will check some things. Body and VIN tags are easy to swap. Frames are not. Shit like that will catch up with you.

Posted Image

#55 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,671 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

Fact is that they don't give a shit about frame numbers till they do give a shit, then they will scrutinize with a vengeance.

#56 tzagi

tzagi

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

Fact is that they don't give a shit about frame numbers till they do give a shit, then they will scrutinize with a vengeance.

Please provide one documented example.

Just one will do.

Over 30 years I have swapped many frames, built frankensteins. and much worst.

NEVER EVER have I had ANY issues with the DMV and or any other law enforcement agency. if anything, I had nothing but thumbs up from them.

There is no need for the scare tactics.

#57 1979_datsun_620

1979_datsun_620

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cars:1979 Datsun 620

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

yikes haha 

Why do you all like to go on rants?

Argue with your wife fellas... 

#58 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,671 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

I am realistic, this is a subject that I can relate to as all my custom builds are on newer frames/chassis, I can get rid of a frame without a title, but I need a title to get rid of any body part in my state of Washington, I need a title to get rid of a door, truck lid, hood, anything having to do with the cab/shell.

But in my builds I am not trying to change the cab VIN tags to another year, I am not putting a 520 VIN tag on a 521 or vice-versa, the VIN tag and title stay with that cab.

Now taking a VIN tag off a 1974 Datsun 620 and putting it on a 1979 Datsun 620 is fraud(wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain),

fraud is a felony in most states.

All my custom builds are made with all the major parts(chassis/frames, engines, wiring harnesses) taken from non-emission year vehicles, I do not change the year of the cabs.

I suspect one day when you try to cross the state border from say Oregon to California if your vehicle don't meet their emission standards they will not let you cross, and they will have a list, and anything older than say 20 years will not meet their standards unless it has a collector plate maybe, you say that can never happen, well it already has happened, semi trucks have to be on their list to cross into California, California is what it is, the very few dictating to the many, all I ask is when one moves out of that state that you leave the cancerous politics in that state when you move, don't bring them here or take them to any other state for that matter.

#59 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:27 PM

No rants here. We just don't want people to get mislead. As I stated earlier each state or even county will have their own set of smog laws and people need to do their homework prior to buying an old car. People will assume things and can inherit headaches or worse the state will come down hard on someone who bought a vehicle and things did not add up, like wrong engine for that year or wrong frame, specially if that vehicle was transferred from one state to another. People can make fun of dmv or their workers but once your car is deemed unpassable for smog, then who will laughing then.

#60 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,395 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

Please provide one documented example.

Just one will do.

Over 30 years I have swapped many frames, built frankensteins. and much worst.

NEVER EVER have I had ANY issues with the DMV and or any other law enforcement agency. if anything, I had nothing but thumbs up from them.

There is no need for the scare tactics.

Even if it's only for your use and never sold you are still in defiance of the law. Do they check... mostly no ... but they can and will if suspicious enough.

Actually there is no need to say "I do it all the time there's never a problem." Someone may actually take this poor advice and get caught. I think on the whole, it's wrong, and people need to realize the risks. State and federal law enforcement may decide to make an example of you for being a chop shop.

http://www.boss302.com/legal.htm

shit happens...

Posted Image