92 replies to this topic

#1 1979_datsun_620

1979_datsun_620

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cars:1979 Datsun 620

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

I've ready several posts but have never seen one of an approved engine swap in the state of California. I recently purchased a 1979 Datsun 620, the L20B engine needs work and I'd rather just do a swap. At first I wanted to swap it with an SR20DET but I've learned that the refs won't approve it. I have now considered dropping the KA24DE into my truck. I guess my question is, has anyone ever gone through the process? And if so which engine is the best to use? I have some $$ that I know I will spending but also would get the labor don't for really cheap. My ideal goal is performance and reliability. Please help! IM A SUPER NEWB!!

#2 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,707 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

As I understand it you will need to do a complete swap including all emissions equipment and you will end up smogging for whichever year of motor you swap in. There are a few hoops to jump through but it can be done. 

I'm sure some local guys will be along shortly with more info. 

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#3 Rjawm

Rjawm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...s in california

#4 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

get L20 running correctly will be EZer

Do a SWAP?add 4K for the swap, otherwise  just junk the truck esp if you know nothing about automotive work. as best to learn the L20B 1st

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#5 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

I do a lot of engine swaps here at my business and the one piece of advice I can give is to buy a whole donor vehicle. The ref will want to see all of the emissions equipment and sourcing all those bits and pieces individually from the dealer, or wrecking yard, or whatever, will take a long time and cost a lot more than just buying a complete donor.

Plus there's the added benefit of seeing the vehicle complete so you know where things are located and how they connect.

On fuel and EVAP systems, it is a lot simpler to use the parts from a donor tank and fit them onto the tank you will be using.

Also, most refs won't allow smog legal aftermarket parts like cold air intakes and even legal headers so use all original parts. They also like to see clean work as that's an indicator of your ability to do thorough work.

Here's an example of a fuel tank mod. This one is for a 3RZ swap into a 1983 Toyota pickup.

Fuel_Tank_Small_015_zpsd5aa1684.jpg

#6 1979_datsun_620

1979_datsun_620

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

I have a $5,000-$7,000 budget. 

I can do all the body work and restoration.

The only investment I would be making would be in the mechanical functions of the car.

#7 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• 14,979 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

5-7k?

Buy one done already for 3500.  they pop up from time to time

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#8 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Cars:71 Datsun 510 and 65 Mustang Fastback

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

That's why I don't buy anything thats 76 and above in Ca.

#9 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

They do come up for sale, but generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap.

CA emissions laws suck. I wish we could just have a "pass the pipe" test.

#10 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

I've ready several posts but have never seen one of an approved engine swap in the state of California. I recently purchased a 1979 Datsun 620, the L20B engine needs work and I'd rather just do a swap. At first I wanted to swap it with an SR20DET but I've learned that the refs won't approve it. I have now considered dropping the KA24DE into my truck. I guess my question is, has anyone ever gone through the process? And if so which engine is the best to use? I have some $$ that I know I will spending but also would get the labor don't for really cheap. My ideal goal is performance and reliability. Please help! IM A SUPER NEWB!!

The best one is the one that will pass smog. What's the possibility of selling it and search a 75 and below w a KA motor? With your budget, I think you will find one. No smog and performance you want!

#11 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,395 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

Buy a '73 or '74 620 and there are no checks, although it's illegal to swap a newer than the trucks year engine into it. As there are no checks, who's to know.

Posted Image

#12 1979_datsun_620

1979_datsun_620

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

I've already started working on the body of my 1979 and wouldn't want to sell it and buy a new one at this point. I just want to know which engines are legal to swap?

Can I install a car engine into a truck and still be legal?

#13 thisismatt

thisismatt

Senior Damon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Cars:'71 521, '69 521 donor

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

https://www.bar.ca.g...Guidelines.html

and

https://www.arb.ca.g...mkt/replace.htm

and

ignore mike
I'm your huckleberry.

One jump ahead of the lawmen
That's all, and that's no joke
These guys don't appreciate I'm broke

#14 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Buy a '73 or '74 620 and there are no checks, although it's illegal to swap a newer than the trucks year engine into it. As there are no checks, who's to know.

...even a 75 no smog needed in ca. Or you can pay someone like $250 not legit.

#15 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 12,671 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

And if you cannot get it licenced you will wish you had a 75 or older, it's just not worth dealing with them folks.

In the end your best avenue is to move out of California, just don't bring the cancerous politics with you when you move, your state needs a heavy duty round of chemotherapy.

#16 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,707 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

I've already started working on the body of my 1979 and wouldn't want to sell it and buy a new one at this point. I just want to know which engines are legal to swap?

It is easiest if you use a truck motor with a truck, this is more due to the oil pan than anything else though. 

Your best bet for more detailed answers is talking with an actual ref and maybe making a friend of them. It will be a lot easier process if the guy signing it off is on your side from the beginning. 

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#17 Crashtd420

Crashtd420

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Cars:1972 Datsun 521

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

I know your saying you wanna do a swap but why not build the l20 you have?
L series motors are definately reliable and can make some good horsepower...
Will probably be quicker to do than a swap, less hoops to just through..
Plus it already fits....
Bore it with some flat top pistons, get a cam and some head work done, and a carb and have fun...
But that's just me...

#18 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

Sometimes its better to cut your losses or as they say water over the bridge. See quiet a few 75 Datsun trucks and below with KA motor on Craig's or offer up. If you go to a Datsun car show, you may find one.

#19 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,395 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

A '79 body will fit on a '73 or '74 too.

Only the A10 and S10 had same year L20Bs. Also only the block and head. Everything 620 like the carb, distributor and pollution equipment must be for a '79 620.

I know your saying you wanna do a swap but why not build the l20 you have?
L series motors are definately reliable and can make some good horsepower...
Will probably be quicker to do than a swap, less hoops to just through..
Plus it already fits....
Bore it with some flat top pistons, get a cam and some head work done, and a carb and have fun...
But that's just me...

You can't modify any engine unless approved OEM parts. .. and it still needs to be smogged (and pass) and pass a visual inspection.

What? By your links nothing can be done to it but the same engine exactly or any newer engine but must pass all emissions test and visual for the new engine. This technically applies to any and all pre '74 vehicles too but as they don't get tested they are not inspected so no one knows what you've done to them.

Build an engine but keep the stock one and swap it in for the inspection.

Posted Image

#20 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

A '79 body will fit on a '73 or '74 too.

Only the A10 and S10 had same year L20Bs. Also only the block and head. Everything 620 like the carb, distributor and pollution equipment must be for a '79 620.

You can't modify any engine unless approved OEM parts. .. and it still needs to be smogged (and pass) and pass a visual inspection.

What? By your links nothing can be done to it but the same engine exactly or any newer engine but must pass all emissions test and visual for the new engine. This technically applies to any and all pre '74 vehicles too but as they don't get tested they are not inspected so no one knows what you've done to them.

Build an engine but keep the stock one and swap it in for the inspection.

Yeh but cars in ca have to be smog every 2 years, so every 2 years, he has to take the ka motor out and install the L20 back, too much work, eh.