Stuck between two 620's

rushkd

100 on all 4 sounds like the tester (or testee) isn't working right. 100 isn't that good. It will run evenly though with all the same I just find that all the exact same number is suspicious.

They were not all exactly 100 they were all around plus or minus one or two or three PSI I was rounding it

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Body swap is highly difficult between those frames. Look at what datnasty has had to do to fit a d21 frame under his 521. 720 and older frames interchange ok, but they totally redesigned the frame for the d21. You have to seriously body drop just to be at stock height.

• Like 1

That's one possibility. Swapping the 620 cab and bed over to the hardbody frame would give him 15 years less wear and tear, plus all the new front suspension and brakes.

The two downsides to doing a body swap are that now you've lost some of the originality of the vehicle and second,  technically it needs to go through DMV with all the new info. Here in CA, a frame swap will cause a pre smog vehicle to have to go through annual emissions testing. If you can make a solid case for repair using the newer frame, DMV has the power to let it slide.

Before doing a frame swap, a good plan is needed. Take good measurements of both vehicles before disassembly. Measure wheelbase, wheel centerline position inside the wheel opening, distance from back of cab to front of bed, distance/height of body mounts on frame, etc.

I put my 520 on a 720 chassis and will run it through AZ DMV to register the frame amd engine numbers to my 1966 520 title so I can travel through California with no worries that I do not have matching numbers.

I think the D21 chassis could be used easier than Datnasty did it as he 4 linked and did other work to it.  But the 720 chassis is by far the easiest swap to up grade the chassis, but he has a D21 siting there.

I mounted the cab to the chassis first and then I cut the bed mounts off of the 720 chassis and set the bed over the chassis bolcked it up to the level I wanted and then marked the 720 bed mounts and cut them down.  I then bolted the 720 bed mounts to the bed and lowered the bed onto the chassis and checked the bed for height and cab spacing and my brother tacked it in place I re checked the bed fitment and found the I needed to lower 1 mount an 1/8 of an inch.  This is how I did the bed.

Trimmed 720 bed mounts tacked on for the 520 bed

DSC01967.jpg

• Like 2

I think the D21 chassis could be used easier than Datnasty did it as he 4 linkenked and did other work to it. But the 720 chassis is by far the easiest swap to up grade the chassis, but he has a D21 siting there.

While true, his first few posts about cab fitment talk about how sitting on the mounts, it looks like it's body lifted. He recommended d21 only for 4x4 swap because of that

• Like 1

The main difference I see with the D21 Hardbody rolling cahssi is how high the engine and trans sit Nd how high the tail of the frame under the bed is.

1991 D21 Datnasty

1991_D21_Rolling_Chassis.jpg

Inside 1991 cab Datnasty

1991_D21_Cab_Inside.jpg

Here is a 521 frame stripped of front steering and suspension mounts.

521_Frame.jpg

521_Frame_2.jpg

• Like 1

well as you can see im going with the 74 only because is was the first one i had and the parts cab is a 74 as well. on a side note i do not plan on striping the 76 of all its good parts. the only thing i need off of it is the hood. 

so i got the cab off the 74. i just need to pull the bed, engine, and a few things off the frame and hopefully i can get it all to the sandblaster in the next week or so.   

Aw2CalA.jpg

7HJnp6v.jpg

Dv6qaQo.jpg