Help me save my 1974 B210 please! running out of time....

I live in Wawona on the western side of Yosemity national park, I have to bug out real soon (we are in a forest fire)

I have 2 Datsuns. a 1980 4 wd 720 not running waiting for parts and my B which I did a tune up on so I can get

away from this damn fire!

The rangers told me to "fix it or leave it"   So far I have put in new battery, points plugs condenser coil ect, BUT the damn 

thing does not run at all,  I really want to save the B before it burns! Also it is my only way out.

Obvious ignition issue, as of today I have worked on it for 4 days still no-go.

Its a A14, ran great for years,  I have a manual I am working from, car was never misstreated.

Manual is old and second hand many pages hard to read.

Does the distributer turn counter clockwise?  (I have a good spark)  My fan turns clockwise so does the crank pully.

Manual says ignition timing is 1 3 4 2  ?    I am getting gnarly mufler explosions.

If someone on the board could post what I am doing wrong please help.  Many thanks.  Spottedog

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry this doesn't answer your question but you could crank the engine with the cap off to check rotation direction.

edit for more info.

Looks like counter clockwise it is.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Ignition_Timing

Does the distributer turn counter clockwise?  (I have a good spark)  My fan turns clockwise so does the crank pully.

Manual says ignition timing is 1 3 4 2  ?    I am getting gnarly mufler explosions.

Distributor turns counter clockwise. 1  3 4 2. Turn distributor CCW to retard and CW to advance the spark. If it was running no need to loosen and change the timing, it was likely ok before.

Points should obviously open and close with the distributor cap off. Set the gap to 0.022" about the thickness of a piece of a Cheerios box (close enough) That can be set better later. Maybe draw a strip of fine sand paper through them just to clean them slightly.

Pull check plugs are dry / clean. If wet with gas dry them. If fouled clean them.

Is the choke setting to on?

Update - This morning a big motorhome pulled  into the turnout where my B is, grey haired gentleman came over and

asked if I was haveing problems.

I explained that the car does not run. He asked where I live, I told him Midpines, he mentioned he had one of those 2 wheel car

trailers on the back of his rv with nothing on it and why dont we put your car on his trailer trailer because he had to go through

Midpines on his way home. I offered money, he refused.

Off we went, my B now sits in my driveway where I have proper tools to work on it.   :thumbup:   Some rednecks are ok   :thumbup:

MANY thanks to you folks who responded to my post, now my B doesnt run but it is not on fire.  Ratsun rules!

• Like 6