I know a wagon chick that bought a 521. Lol

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 gene knight

gene knight

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Cars:various datsun toys, vw bug, chevy silverado, mitsubishi outlander,plymouth barracuda fastback

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

Nice work

#122 Angela

Angela

Wagon Chick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Cars:1971 510 Wagon, 1970 521 Truck, 2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

zGTYoFV.jpg

Bought this tailgate from Gene at the Eagle Rock meet this past weekend. It was primered but today I rattlecanned it with some baby blue (not an exact match but close enough) & then brushed on some offwhite paint for the lettering. 

I just need to figure out how to get the old tailgate off (plan to make a bench out of it  :thumbup: ) so, any advice would be appreciated. I got a set of new hinges because the driver's side hinge looks bent. I don't think it's gonna be easy to hammer that pin out. I assume the new hinges must be welded on? Old hinges cut off?  :confused:

D-a-t-C-h-i-c-k-sU-n-i-t-e!

#123 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,016 posts
  • Cars:Trailblazer ss/72 521/71 goon/454 SS/2016 canyon

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

zGTYoFV.jpg

Bought this tailgate from Gene at the Eagle Rock meet this past weekend. It was primered but today I rattlecanned it with some baby blue (not an exact match but close enough) & then brushed on some offwhite paint for the lettering. 

I just need to figure out how to get the old tailgate off (plan to make a bench out of it  :thumbup: ) so, any advice would be appreciated. I got a set of new hinges because the driver's side hinge looks bent. I don't think it's gonna be easy to hammer that pin out. I assume the new hinges must be welded on? Old hinges cut off?  :confused:

Angela buy a 25.00 spray gun go tofinish masters and have them match it up and re do it. It will be fun and look better in the long run. 

#124 gene knight

gene knight

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Cars:various datsun toys, vw bug, chevy silverado, mitsubishi outlander,plymouth barracuda fastback

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

It was actually tan or sand color. But looks good

#125 Angela

Angela

Wagon Chick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

Angela buy a 25.00 spray gun go tofinish masters and have them match it up and re do it. It will be fun and look better in the long run. 

I'll look into that once I recuperate from my shopping spree at Eagle Rock. I'm working on rebuilding that L20b I got for free, too so priorities are shifting a bit. This is a temporary fix for now Tanker. I'm planning to pull the L16 with A87 peanut head & 5 speed out of my wagon & put it in the 521, then put the rebuilt L20b with another, A87 peanut head & fresh 5 speed in the wagon. Baby steps but FUN! I wish I could do nothing but Datsun stuff 24/7.

#126 Angela

Angela

Wagon Chick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

While I was at it & armed with the spraycan...

dkckUp7.jpg

#127 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

I would put the L20b in the one you drive the most, since I am a truck guy I say the truck needs the most power, but you may drive the wagon more.

#128 Angela

Angela

Wagon Chick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

I would put the L20b in the one you drive the most, since I am a truck guy I say the truck needs the most power, but you may drive the wagon more.

Yeah, the wagon is my 1st love so she will get the goods  :console:

#129 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:41 AM

The tailgate hinge pins are 5/16 in diameter. You can take a 5/16 punch, and drive the pins out. This will be difficult on the left hinge, if the hinge itself got bent.
Most punches are not long enough to completely drive the hinge pin out. Once the hinge pins has been moved as far as you can with the punch, you can use a long nail to finish removing the hinge pin.
The newer to you tail gate may not fit onto your bed exactly, but try it anyway. The tailgate top is held by the tail gate latches, the bottom of the tail gate is aligned by bending the hinges.

#130 Crashtd420

Crashtd420

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Cars:1972 Datsun 521

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

If your not looking to learn to paint and want the color a little closer...
Another way is take the paint code to an auto paint stores, some have the ability to make a rattle can in the exact color, even with the clear mixed in if you wanted....
Either way what you did looks pretty good...

#131 Angela

Angela

Wagon Chick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

If your not looking to learn to paint and want the color a little closer...
Another way is take the paint code to an auto paint stores, some have the ability to make a rattle can in the exact color, even with the clear mixed in if you wanted....
Either way what you did looks pretty good...

I forgot about that Crash...thx for the reminder. I actually am interested in learning to properly paint a car (just not right now) since I used to do a bunch of airbrushing & went to art school & stuff  :geek: . I'd like to transfer my skills from the canvas to metal someday.

#132 Crashtd420

Crashtd420

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Cars:1972 Datsun 521

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

It's really not bad actually I had a little learning curve when I started, but if you can air brush, and can lay a decent finish with a rattle can you could definately paint with the guns....
I've been painting my 521 with a HVLP spray gun in my garage, and i have zero skill.
Getting the guns set wasn't too bad, but it's different for differnt paint...
My biggest mistake was not cleaning the gun good enough... after I found a screen inside I missed... things went much better after I realized that....
Goodluck ....

#133 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• 12,016 posts
  • Cars:Trailblazer ss/72 521/71 goon/454 SS/2016 canyon

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

I know that. But still shoots like shit. Just better paint. It will all turn out in the end good.

#134 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 71,745 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

In another life I painted '74 and '75 Chev truck boxes at GM. About a year (or maybe two) after I left it was all done by robots. I knew how to paint but nothing about how the gun worked. It was a moving line.. if there was a problem you grabbed one of the spares at your station and kept painting. A maintenance man would come and replace it in seconds and take it away to 'maintain and clean it'. Paint and air was supplied under pressure to the gun which had an electrostatic charge which made the paint attract to the grounded box. You stood on a raised cat walk with a river flowing under you to catch the over spray that was pushed down by the filtered air supplied from above. Perfect ceiling to floor lighting. All you had to know was how to hold a gun and move your arm. Two hundred and thirty boxes a shift although with 1/2 hour break every 2 1/2 hours and one of those 1/2 hours was prep you did about 140 in 9 hours. You only did one side and the inside. In the 11 months there I (slightly) fucked up one job. White paint. Hard to see the surface properly. I didn't know when I started that everyone else thought the metallic colors were hard. A German guy named Carl was my mentor. I really liked that job and I have missed it.

Posted Image