I know a wagon chick that bought a 521. Lol

mrbigtanker

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 1970s I sold a 1942 Harley WLA basket case complete to one of my old girl friends from high school.  it took her a couple years working with her boyfriend to get it on the road.  Yes she kept it stock with the tank shift and the foot clutch.  I caught hell from all my fello men bikers for selling it to a girl.  I told them if she can get it put together she deserves it!!

This is similar to what I sold 1 Kic Nic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-Harley-Davidson-wla-flathead-/322673170618?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Mr Tanker I hope it was Angela and I hope you do not help her put it together!  LOL  I do not think she can afford your price level of parts!  I know I can't!!!  LOL

• Like 3

Back in the 1970s I sold a 1942 Harley WLA basket case complete to one of my old girl friends from high school.  it took her a couple years working with her boyfriend to get it on the road.  Yes she kept it stock with the tank shift and the foot clutch.  I caught hell from all my fello men bikers for selling it to a girl.  I told them if she can get it put together she deserves it!!

This is similar to what I sold 1 Kic Nic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-Harley-Davidson-wla-flathead-/322673170618?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Mr Tanker I hope it was Angela and I hope you do not help her put it together!  LOL  I do not think she can afford your price level of parts!  I know I can't!!!  LOL

Yes it was and yes I helped her. It's a nice truck and it's a virgin. It's all there and all stock. Angela I ratted you out.lol

• Like 2

Hey all...yes, I guess I got ratted out...thanks Ray :rofl:

As some of you know I've been dreaming of finding a 521 for a about a year now. Long story short, In the past, I've thrown a few potential buys out there for input here on Ratsun & got saved from buying projects that just were just not right. 

A few weeks ago, I found this 1970 521 on CL in Milpitas, CA. I called Ray & picked his brain for advice then dragged my brother with me to drive nearly 8 hours round trip to check it out. I really liked it & made a deal with the guy. I got a really good deal I think. It had originally been an Oregon truck. The previous owner supposedly drove it as he found it from Oregon to California "without a hiccup" & then used it as his daily driver in the Bay Area. He did some minor work to it but basically it's appears unmolested. It still has the original carb, points & a bunch of crusty hoses in the engine bay that I wonder if they've ever been changed out. . Came with a couple extra speedo assemblies & a set of deep dish Rally rims.

I love the patina & plan to keep it as is...just shine it up a bit & protect it. Seat needs major love but since I've got a great local upholstery shop that did an awesome job on my wagon, I'm not too worried. I want to replace worn hoses, belts, check brakes, etc, install an electronic dizzy, put one of my webers or a pair of SU's on it & eventually drop in a 5 speed. Oh, & reinstall the heater assembly.

So, here are a few oics of how what she looks like now.

I appreciate any & all tips, advice, cautionary tales anyone wants to share :thumbup:

oitZuAC.jpg

kczWDos.jpg

6OtyaLO.jpg

PhWy59g.jpg

WDKSVL5.jpg

ccLptyd.jpg

Aps2TGQ.jpg

x2Uv8ma.jpg

BzZTgQB.jpg

ETVkqGh.jpg

88X3XlF.jpg

zaXq9u5.jpg

3GNLNaM.jpg

TX8etvE.jpg

mhpqX1M.jpg

7XU5U2v.jpg

6YQVufu.jpgLgxsgQr.jpg

• Like 5

looks like the rats ate the seat 

that is the best color 

better than green  :poke:  :poke:

Hey Randy, I'm so in love with this color. I like the green a lot but every time I walk outside & see my truck, I say "damn I love that color"!

• Like 3

Sweet truck Angela.  I happen to have a set of light blue doors that are much better shape than yours.  I will get some pictures probably next week as the doors are at Gene's house.  If you like the doors we might be able to work a trade your doors for my doors with a little cash.  We will see.

• Like 1

Today I spent the whole day getting familiar with my new 521. I confirmed that it's a matching numbers L16, original carb & that it has an engine light assembly/switch...just needs a bulb & perhaps a lens cover of some type? Anybody else seen one of these before?

OsX1vEM.jpgLgCiydz.jpg

I pressure washed it to get rid of tons of spider webs, hay, leaves etc from door jambs & underneath, then removed surface oxidation on the outside (hope to clay it tomorrow). Then lubricated the door jambs,  inspected bushings & hoses in need of replacement to add my future TO DO list, installed a missing pcv hose, scrubbed & degreased the plastic floor mat...wow, it's actually blue...not grey! I then scrubbed the nicotine & filth from the sun visors & headliner...my rinse water looked like the blackest oil you ever saw. I then took a wire brush to the rusty floorboards so 

i can get that treated with inhibitor (any favorite brands that are budget-friendly???). Vacuumed & cleaned the whole interior, then I took the hood prop that had been popped off its rivets & bent to hell & pounded it back into shape (mostly)...I think I can drill through the old mounting rivets & re-rivet to put it to work again.

8rbLt1r.jpgwlRUluv.jpgw61u5s0.jpg

HshMVDz.jpgJVr5QKp.jpgriYAcbw.jpg

Gonna be a fun little truck I think. Lot's of little things on the TO DO list but taking it easy. I need to find some side mirrors & a rear view mirror. My one driver side mirror is there but the "mirror" finish has disintegrated & settled to the bottom of the glass...looks weird. I have the original mount for the rear view mirror but no mirror/glass assembly to pop on to it. I'll put up a WTB ad here I guess & see what folks got to offer :thumbup:

• Like 3

That's the stock engine room lamp.  Just has a bare bulb.  It looks like something happened to the hood prop mount...it would have been spot welded on from the factory, not riveted. 

Here is what I'm running for a mirror.  Stock ones go for good money in nice shape or NOS.  Too much, IMO, for something that is just going to disintegrate again...

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49689-521-rearview-mirror-mod/

• Like 2

That's the stock engine room lamp.  Just has a bare bulb.  It looks like something happened to the hood prop mount...it would have been spot welded on from the factory, not riveted. 

Here is what I'm running for a mirror.  Stock ones go for good money in nice shape or NOS.  Too much, IMO, for something that is just going to disintegrate again...

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49689-521-rearview-mirror-mod/

Thanks Matt! That's a great option. Looks like that seller is "out of stock" at the moment but I'll keep my eye out for similar items. Thanks for the info! 

• Like 1