• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Conner

Conner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Cars:2009 G37s 1968 2000 Roadster (project) 1964 L320 (project)

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

My part #20-0735-81 from Steele Rubber arrived.  It's a nice piece, USA-made vulcanized rubber, heavy and soft.  It is a loop (as you would expect) with no corners and not a straight piece of gasket.  I got it for $75 from Steele's ebay store.  

I measured 20-0735-81 using a flexible tape measure and it is right around 118" around the perimeter.  

I measured around the rear glass of my L320 and that perimeter distance was between 96" and 98".  So the Steele gasket should definitely be long enough (that was actually obvious before measuring) and will need to be cut down.  I see no reason why the profile of the Steele gasket wouldn't work.  

I also measured around my truck's front windshield.  I got roughly 117".  The front windshield gasket looks similar in profile to the rear one on my truck, so 20-0735-81 may work on the front as well.  In fact, the measurements are close enough that it may be a fit without cutting down the Steele Rubber gasket.  That's probably too good to be true, but I will try it.  

I will try to remember to post back here after I've actually done the install of this gasket.  

#22 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,602 posts
  • Cars:1966 520, 1967 520, 1985 720 ST King Cab, 1986 720 King Cab

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Please do post back on your results and the pros and cons of the Steele gaskets.  Also what you use to glue the rear gasket ends together with.

#23 320 Newb

320 Newb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Cars:Datsun 320

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

Holy shit that's great! I was a little nervous I gave you bad intel when you said you were going to purchase it! But my glass guy was right! Also I'm 99.% sure the profile of the gasket is the same, front and back. I might take a string and trace my windshield to see if I get the same 117" measurement. If so then bingo!!!!

My part #20-0735-81 from Steele Rubber arrived.  It's a nice piece, USA-made vulcanized rubber, heavy and soft.  It is a loop (as you would expect) with no corners and not a straight piece of gasket.  I got it for $75 from Steele's ebay store.  

I measured 20-0735-81 using a flexible tape measure and it is right around 118" around the perimeter.  

I measured around the rear glass of my L320 and that perimeter distance was between 96" and 98".  So the Steele gasket should definitely be long enough (that was actually obvious before measuring) and will need to be cut down.  I see no reason why the profile of the Steele gasket wouldn't work.  

I also measured around my truck's front windshield.  I got roughly 117".  The front windshield gasket looks similar in profile to the rear one on my truck, so 20-0735-81 may work on the front as well.  In fact, the measurements are close enough that it may be a fit without cutting down the Steele Rubber gasket.  That's probably too good to be true, but I will try it.  

I will try to remember to post back here after I've actually done the install of this gasket.  

#24 zenndog

zenndog

• PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Cars:L320

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

Any update on the Ford Rubber?
In a world that is PC, I'm just greasy

Posted Image