front and rear windshield rubber 320 p/u 1965

320 twice

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't have a clue on how long the overseas gaskets will last, Bob3 bought some for his 520 and they only lasted a couple years, cheap is cheap in most situations.

I had this guy make me 19 Datsun 320 windshields and one 520 windshield several years ago, he also made me all the gaskets I needed for the 320 and he also had a source for good 521 windshield gaskets that last/are of good quality, but he is not cheap, if you contact them you want to talk to Eddie Kotto, I will repeat he is not cheap.

All 320 front windshields are the same, so are the gaskets, but the rear windows are not the same depending on the 320 model(L, NL), L320 rear windows are smaller than NL320 rear windows, I believe that 521 rear window gaskets are the same as NL320 rear window gaskets, and if you cut them to size and glue the ends together I believe that a 521 rear gasket will also work on a L320 rear window once the correct size, the rear window gaskets that Eddie Kotto was making for me all looked like the same gasket material, I compared the L521 rear window gasket to the NL320 rear window gasket and they looked to be the same style gasket and the same size.

Kotto Auto Glass is in the LA area, and here is a link to his web site below.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6qdTbjfvVAhUT3mMKHZ_CAu8QFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkottoautoglass.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNHFNdYQs8zQmTmxUu2TheXAQ7hawA

• Like 1

I forget the guy's name, but someone in Aus or NZ sells 320 front and rear window rubber.

It's the vent window rubber that is going to drive you nuts. Does not exist.

Scotts Old Auto Rubber has sold 320 windshield seals/gaskets in the past, but they are expensive shipped.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjR7Mm2soTWAhUS42MKHRFMA1UQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scottsoldautorubber.com.au%2F&usg=AFQjCNGbzYanWtjIP3nRyWj6TtJ_3glLHg

Kotto Auto Glass is expensive also, but it is a good quality rubber and it is made in the USA I believe, the trouble is that Eddie Kotto wants to sit down and make a bunch at a time instead of one at a time, that's where someone with the funds helps, they buy 20/30 at a time and then sell them slowly, I just don't have them kind of funds to have it tied up in parts for years on end, 320 stuff sells slowly, especially when they cost $120.00 per gasket plus shipping, that is what I was selling them for 5 years ago, now there is a new group of 320 owners out there that need this stuff.

• Like 1

When's the last time you bought anything from AUS? I have been buying parts from a couple vendors I recently found in AUS and shipping is not expensive at all. I don't know what changed, but it is super easy and cheap now. And also consider the value of the US dollar vs the AUS dollar.

• Like 1

I bought a windshield from Wayno (through Kotto) and ordered a Scott's Rubber front gasket. Super quality and what appeared to be the more modern ozone resistant rubber. As to shipping, at that time he wanted to be paid in Aus dollars. I think we worked the conversion and he estimated shipping, I either sent him a check or PayPal'd him, and everything went smoothly. I was impressed with his quality.

PS: Wayne did the Ratsun community a huge favor by arranging for this group buy of windshields. It's someone else's turn to step up. The quality was great.  And let me add..... you will get over your feelings on price once you drive your old truck with sparkling new glass....especially the first time you point your hood toward the late afternoon sun.

About four years ago I gave up on my quest to make new 320 vent window rubbers. I wen to SEMA, talked to a guy in Alabama who could do them but at exorbitant price, and gave up. I wish someone else luck with this. Perhaps it is cheaper now as technology has changed, but the trick is really to have someone carve patterns and the design will probably mean making three pieces and gluing them together. I don't know.... perhaps they could be 3D printed.

• Like 1

I see Scott's Old Rubber has the front windshield seals (part #218.718).  They don't list a rear gasket--has anyone bought a rear gasket from Scott's?  

Also, I remember a lot of these gaskets (front and rear windshield) from Thailand hitting ebay a year or two ago.  Has anyone bought and successfully installed the front and/or rear windshield gaskets bought on ebay from Thailand?  If so how are they?  Thanks.  

• Like 1

My local hotrod glass place installed a 1960s Ford pickup back glass gasket that worked great for $95. Part number 20-0735-81. It's the same profile for the front glass, different length. Same local place said he'd swap out my front gasket for for $170. They're high quality made in the USA. 

Maybe have a local place look up part number 20-0735-81 and see if they'll give you a quote.

• Like 1

My local hotrod glass place installed a 1960s Ford pickup back glass gasket that worked great for $95. Part number 20-0735-81. It's the same profile for the front glass, different length. Same local place said he'd swap out my front gasket for for $170. They're high quality made in the USA. 

Maybe have a local place look up part number 20-0735-81 and see if they'll give you a quote.

Great!  It looks like part #20-0735-81 is around $75 from Steele Rubber.  Do you know if your guy had to cut this seal down or just installed it at the stock length?  

Thanks.  

• Like 1

When I was selling good quality 320 windshield/rear window gaskets made in the USA for $135.00 each shipped, they sold very slowly.

The issue here is that there are only so many 320s out there that need windshield/rear window gaskets, and 320 parts are getting very hard to find in usable shape as everyone wants to save the 320 they have instead of parting it out which takes a very long time.

I suspect that even if someone spent the money to have wing window gaskets made, they would lose money as Datsun 320 owners don't want to spend that kind of money for them gaskets(likely $200/$300 a set).

I'd buy a set of wing window rubbers for $200 in  a heartbeat.

Also here's a schematic for the 61-66 F100 to help figure out back window size. It's hard to think it'd have a smaller back window than an L320. What I'm interested to know is if the back window rubber from an F100 is long enough to do the front window on an L320.

p143.jpg

I'd buy a set of wing window rubbers for $200 in  a heartbeat.

I bet you would:)

I figured it would cost me about $7k to have precision molds made, then have the pieces bonded together. I kind of lost interest when it looked like that would be the startup cost to make 50 sets. So IF they could be made for that amount, and you figured nothing for the use of your money for an unknown time, AND that you could sell all 50 sets for $350 plus shipping each, then you might just break even.

Good luck with that

Conner: please post your results using the modified Ford gasket. All I can say is the Scott's Rubber gasket was very good quality

I will say I bought some rubber parts for a '32 Chrysler from Lynn Steele about 35 years ago, and even then, they were the best quality available.

That '32 Chrysler went to Pebble Beach:)

I hope the Ford gasket works out well for you. Please post pics and your step by step, will you?

• Like 1

I'm working on paint/body this fall and if no wing rubbers are available by spring I'm going to have my local hot rod glass guy cut and Frankenstein together some new rubbers for me. I had him take a look and he's confident he can put something together that looks good and keeps water out. The windows might not open but the whole beggars/choosers thing. 

I've got pretty good faith in the glass guy--he's the one that eyeballed my back glass rubbers and knew 61-66 Ford pickup gaskets would work.

• Like 1

My part #20-0735-81 from Steele Rubber arrived.  It's a nice piece, USA-made vulcanized rubber, heavy and soft.  It is a loop (as you would expect) with no corners and not a straight piece of gasket.  I got it for $75 from Steele's ebay store.  

I measured 20-0735-81 using a flexible tape measure and it is right around 118" around the perimeter.  

I measured around the rear glass of my L320 and that perimeter distance was between 96" and 98".  So the Steele gasket should definitely be long enough (that was actually obvious before measuring) and will need to be cut down.  I see no reason why the profile of the Steele gasket wouldn't work.  

I also measured around my truck's front windshield.  I got roughly 117".  The front windshield gasket looks similar in profile to the rear one on my truck, so 20-0735-81 may work on the front as well.  In fact, the measurements are close enough that it may be a fit without cutting down the Steele Rubber gasket.  That's probably too good to be true, but I will try it.  

I will try to remember to post back here after I've actually done the install of this gasket.  

• Like 2

Holy shit that's great! I was a little nervous I gave you bad intel when you said you were going to purchase it! But my glass guy was right! Also I'm 99.% sure the profile of the gasket is the same, front and back. I might take a string and trace my windshield to see if I get the same 117" measurement. If so then bingo!!!!

My part #20-0735-81 from Steele Rubber arrived.  It's a nice piece, USA-made vulcanized rubber, heavy and soft.  It is a loop (as you would expect) with no corners and not a straight piece of gasket.  I got it for $75 from Steele's ebay store.  

I measured 20-0735-81 using a flexible tape measure and it is right around 118" around the perimeter.  

I measured around the rear glass of my L320 and that perimeter distance was between 96" and 98".  So the Steele gasket should definitely be long enough (that was actually obvious before measuring) and will need to be cut down.  I see no reason why the profile of the Steele gasket wouldn't work.  

I also measured around my truck's front windshield.  I got roughly 117".  The front windshield gasket looks similar in profile to the rear one on my truck, so 20-0735-81 may work on the front as well.  In fact, the measurements are close enough that it may be a fit without cutting down the Steele Rubber gasket.  That's probably too good to be true, but I will try it.  

I will try to remember to post back here after I've actually done the install of this gasket.  

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...