Terrible Gas Mileage

mx71

I don't push the truck hard when I get out the gate and let it warm up a touch. But due mostly to mikes advice and the fact that my truck runs absolutely flawlessly now I just close the garage door (yeah rats, moving up in the world i got a manually closing door now!), then buckle and turn on the tunes, then slowly take off.

I am always climbing mountains though so I am happy with 14. I was getting 9, but found out my muffler plugged up so we will see what I get now with this fancy pants Magnaflow. 17-20 highway is not too crazy for a 4wd.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know that about the oil pressure gauge, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I'm not sure the mpg will ever get better than this though, because I have to scream it in 2nd gear up the road that goes to my house, and I do drive it pretty aggressively being that it's my fun truck. My other is a 2013 Grand Cherokee that's loaded, so it's an auto, it rides smooth and quiet and nothing ever breaks. Where's the fun in that?

Aggressive? Hardly...

17+ MPG IS reasonable.

Tips would easily get you into the 20s. It was posted for anyone reading and would work for them also.

Oil pressure is almost instantaneous. It's the gauge that reads slowly. Just like the gas tank reading when the key is turned on, it's not instant. So you don't have to wait for the reading to come up. Idling when cold with the choke on just wastes gas. It will warm up as fast or faster idling down the street and you're getting somewhere.