#1 Humboldt

Humboldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Cars:1980 720, 1972 510 Wagon work in progress

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

Here's the hint from Hell, Louise: Those stubborn clutch line fittings to slave and master cylinder. Somebody recommended heat. I tried my mini propane tank nozzle firuing it up but it flamed out either when it fired up the saturation of liquid wrench or because, as the canister said " use upright". So I still needed to heat it. Here's the hack: I took a six way electric strip and plugged in two soldering irons and held them on the joint for what seemed a long enough time. Voila! 45 years of seized junction cracked open like Madonna on a Saturday night! 

I'm a genius!

#2 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

Wow! Never had that problem before. I usually just burn through the penetrating oil with the blue part of the flame.

#3 Humboldt

Humboldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Cars:1980 720, 1972 510 Wagon work in progress

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

The wind kept blowing out my flame and when I could get it going it kept making a scary ignition of something--inverted canister? Whatever-- the soldering irons did the trick.

#4 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

I'd hate to catch anything on fire. Oh wait, been there...

Actually, my method is to try the heat first, before I spray it with any lubricant, and I always use WD40 (which is flammable) if the heat doesn't work. I focus the heat on the "nut" portion because as it heats, it will grow, loosening its grip on the tube fitting. If that doesn't work, that's when I hit it with the WD40. As it cools, it pulls the WD40 into the threads.

I've used this method for years.