I'm glad I'm leaving California!

Green is the new gold.

california is on of the few places to live where you can be in the snow in 2 hours or at the ocean in 2 hours

6 mi to the beach.

so.cal snow less than an hour away.

Twisty mountain roads for miles and miles.

Going shooting out in the mountains this weekend.

• Like 4
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the younger guys in Kalifornia:

Back in the late 90's I was sitting on the pier with a Hermosa Beach Cop friend. He said you me:" If you(royal "you") aren't in a house by 10 to 15 years already-you will never be. Hit me like a Tyson hook. I was working for So Cal Gas Company at the time. Working for the gas company is a retire from job with decent pay.You don't get fired from it unless you do something mondo stupid. When I realized that I'd never be able to afford to live anywhere near the beach,I knew it was time to look for something "better" as if I couldn't be near the beach, there's no point being in the state. So I started by own business and traveled the country and eventually ended up in Tucson.

Point being- Regardless of what you want ,you might look at the feasibility of staying in the state with regards to wages & real estate prices.

• Like 2

I've lived in Cali, Tex, Iowa, and NY. Been to Hawaii, Alaska and all the main land states shy of a few, so I can say with total conviction that I LOVE this whole damn country. My family is Californian going back at least 5 generations, and this place is my home. that being said, I realize the state I grew up in no longer exists. As a Kid, San Diego was filled with retired WWII vets who had limitless confidence and a LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST attitude. That generation earned their greatness and weren't afraid to flaunt it. Their patriotism was real and because of it they held their government to a high standard. My neighborhood may have been blue collar union democrats, but they were more conservative in their core beliefs than most Republicans today.

I believe that it was market forces that destroyed the deep rooted idealism that made California special. Blaming liberals and pot parades is short sighted. only 18 of the last 50 years has a Democrat held the Governor's office, and no I'm not saying Cali's demise rests on Republicans. I'm saying money changes everything. My Dad was a welder in the aerospace industry, and the house I grew up in cost a wapping $19K back in 1960. Not 10 years ago my Mom sold that house for $900K, and last year it sold for $1.4mil. That increase is a reflection of what the market will bare and people's desire to live in a beautiful place like SD. I don't know who bought it, but I'm sure it wasn't a blue collar welder with 3 kids and a house wife. My old neighborhood community is now upper middle class professionals who likely have no idea who lives next door. I'll bet none of them surf, or know the first thing about working on cars. Idealism has been replace with mindless money making zombies who are totally dependent on the "system". You multiply that by a few million and you kiss the California I knew goodbye. The landscape hasn't changed, but it's cultural hay day has passed. I know when I retire, I won't be able to afford the place I call home. 

one way ticket to the South Asian Pacific rim. 

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

For the younger guys in Kalifornia: When I realized that I'd never be able to afford to live anywhere near the beach

....I knew if I couldn't be near the beach, there's no point being in the state.

Solid advice!

I also went and graduated college.

I got my first condo in 2002, we signed escrow papers in the hospital maternity ward.

Lucked out on the market down timing.

• Like 3

I got out of California last year..never going back.

Too many people, too many stupid laws, too many taxes.

I wanted to leave 15 years ago and couldn't make it happen financially.

10 years ago I sent out a plan to escape, which didn't quite go off like I planned but I still got out.

I've said it before, living in (most places) in California is somewhat easy for the day to day stuff, and you rationalize the increasing taxes and costs, as everything just gets worse.

Always reminded me of the shitty controlling ex that you stay with too long, because most of the time things are somewhat OK, but you don't realize how bad it was until you leave.

• Like 3