The Geisha

I had a thread I started a couple years ago in the 210 section and just started posting again recently, but fuck photobucket and their bullshit. So I decided to delete my pb account, use google photos, and start a project thread. If an admin could delete my old post in the 210 section that would be much appreciated.

Of course I'll start by posting some pics for y'all.

wpTsmCpmq2XVvy80HBIjLtS7cZ0PRkmdhZyT3iLs

How she sat at the beginning of the month. Nice thing about summer time is that I get to set up my shop outside ... well actually it's the only place I can set up but I don't mind. It kind of motivates me more waking up to see it before I leave everyday. I find myself coming back home on my lunch breaks to do little things here and there when I can.

U1J9QgvgytnlAVou_CWhkfEeiGsNYiznFlFn15jy

I am so grateful that my interior is in pretty good shape, although I have my suspicions of what lies underneath the carpet. I am hoping that there isn't much rust, in particular the passenger floor side as the heater core developed a leak at one point or other. Tearing apart the interior is the one thing that I have been putting aside as I don't feel like I have the proper set up yet. I would like to do that when I have a garage with enough space to take everything out and place it on the floor next to the car.

mQbBf6VzNRJm1Q5_KHmBYnp9Yrpnbn_dFUAr9SWQ

I've always loved how spacious the interior of the car feels. I think it has to do with how much glass there is, which is great. I have yet to drive in a car where I can see as much as I do in this one.

xDud5FXYNqC1EAfoIhCu_HW938pKqt0wMa-kalTa

-iYljTijfZ8_o3h0vXEvAwr1Z4ru2tqqNd1RMBkE

Where I see body work needing to be done.

Probably going to have to do a fair bit of metal work, looks like mostly small sections, but metal work none the less. For now though the chassis is solid and good enough for me to rebuild on before I take my journey out west at the end of the summer/going into fall. It'll be once I have moved out to AZ that I plan on doing a full take down where the frame will be tackled from top to bottom, and I'll be in a better geographical location to do so. There is one section in the engine bay that may have to be tackled while I am still here. I'll get better pictures of that soon.

XFBRZVGSRJjkSa-LzeFijbM24mrDfuyIopRV4Ncw

n_J2heUXAP_ZROVTU--3JRsRwLmGtutywCvsomrX

Here's how she sits now. Second picture's a little dark cause I was shooting too fast.

Ever since I first saw the car I liked how it looked. It's got this great combination of styles that some might argue as too eclectic but I think just shows how much of a piece of Americana+Japanese = Japanicana(?) history that this car is. Every time I look at it it gives me a little boner, as well as a glimpse into the past. I think gas crisis, the death of the classic American muscle car (at least in terms of styling), Jimmy Carter, the push towards a global economy, cassette players, green formica kitchen counter tops, and shag carpets of all colors and flavors. I think being a 79' really embodies that change before the 80's styling and culture with the square headlights, nothing personal against them but I think that shift really shows to me where styling for cars in general started to really change, and from which I think the 1979 210 design represents the kind of turning point from 70's to 80's.

I say this with a caveat however, because although I love the shit out of this car and how it looks, there is a lot that I want to change. :angel:

gcRi7limyX80wy2JR94f3dG7rRqsJLEm0D46tZIJ

What I started thinking about though the other day was how I want the car to ride when I put the wheels back on. Adjusting the jack stands got me really staring at the rear end and realizing how nice of an ass this car has. :devil:  Nice enough that I think it should be shown off more with a little front rake. From looking at a couple other builds across the world, mostly this one Malaysian dude with an SR20 and FAT flares, I just think a little front rake really compliments the lines and design of this car, and I think that the long ass/trunk has a lot to do with that. Once I get the rear bumper off, which I am not entirely sure as of yet how to get off, I will get a better idea. Speaking of which, does anyone know of any builds with custom bumpers? I've tossed the idea around of designing and welding my own bumpers as I don't really feel like hunting down Japanese ones and the thought of compromising on some fiberglass ones purely for appearance doesn't bide by me well.

• Like 3
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway on to the fun stuff.

So far I have gotten the front right and left strut assemblies, tie rods, sway bar, links, and right control arm off of the car. The left one is being a piece of shit.

FkbAPudVY4ghj8RhIjSsG09ez8PZ1ATXmLy6jdXd

The next step is to get the rear axle and suspension out so that both front and rear suspension can get sandblasted and powder coated at the same time. After that it's reassembly time.

8HaK8FeHi2yQRgkDVb7ZqfUTdvGrNAihUbJMOs1_

So far I have ordered all new rotors, calipers, brake lines, strut inserts with boots, bushings and bearings, center link, tie rods, idler arm. One of the tie rods (I think left) and the idler arm are the only pieces of the new steering parts that aren't 555, I will order those again and make sure I get 'Made in Japan' parts as I don't want to have any uneven drive. I'll just keep the ones I have in case of emergency.

p5SnD9AfA1fc_Sq9k6I23TKPXcSNWgvZESU_cQzs

Z-1wbI419jF2cHV6AOaWyn0M6ZOChbz9mg8w7VUq

ljiINvQG83htApfwzakBe6lcgPCT9tvFkLVRC5cM

It's like Christmas but better :)

Alright well I got to run for the time being, I'll try and figure out how to make images show up properly in the mean time. I'll try and post more pictures by next week.

• Like 1

Not sure what you are doing wrong.

Click you picture link, then click the picture to make full screen, right click, copy image address. 

I feel like its something simple but I don't know where I can do anything differently. I'm using firefox off a mac. Maybe try chrome?

• Like 1
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4VOsftpH4_aVn2vGHFjy6Ztw-YzjpPMhIt4q-hr1b77Hpi3RpYjfMm1qTSs9WoDy604bSOqWFpzt61Slf0xpB1dQSdAHNeY7riJKzAFxa_7DDNGOFPitS_n63BzePTSst3_Fq3Mbhr7VL-5QHyGNNgJScbAKW4F0IAPWRz7h99u7SVXuSv3wle_5j9DT_RIt7Miv9a7jsAQfAUrTtCkQkVtIm-XHDObnbJUIxWqDKSBKhMqO1CDiyn_YSkjR_6WnDEm1aVACQHv-Es83-NJMIxDJ5tcmvHalu9AbdKHzvnNJV6HmNGuOvE4EnjO0jlRdUrqAuCIaEGY-MLSkT7morKRw0KNsISnP_Hr-1ODBhkFAMz24sDrY3RBY8ib4RpwxVDor54ZbmLF6gq6UI81t189K5J-LH-BMUySkfmwSmwMGXMWKp5OUykLMKfin9UItCfnan4AeKQXzwrxUXUYQQeN89_hjJvOb6zIh4N_7301Y_RrqtSVGpNxRr_H8PsfAuVcVf94f1Cg_gNiD1eVhSGgkFweAfswZ3A5UI-GQ9WV-WiYx377E0JWCf5REPPe1txpIIyZpvpwtYxYOyiwz8Tbctnz9VQsVH6R3CcJrG86b2Rr0mpFTVdpbZrMmEUwPYOcMXfo_HGANULMZGtpR6Bc08q7Ukrv6KD2wsx8Dm2X8JQ=w1642-h1094-no-temp.jpeg

Make it look like that

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

DP5Xre8Svnu9rQJeODLpUq5z8QpnK97V8ThE_I3R

This is the most recent step. Got the old Hitachi carb (Ordered a weber 32/36 which is coming in, soon. Woo!). Got the alternator and air pump out too. Nice 10lbs off the engine with that air pump gone. Now I'm trying to figure out how to block off the egr valve, and carbon canister vacuuming. It'll be nice when I can get the engine out and really clean up and rearrange/replace the tubing/lines,

Some more new parts came in: nickle copper tubing, fuel pump, 555 idler arm and tie rod, optima battery, starter, alternator, water pump, oil pump. My room is starting to look like more and more of a parts shack haha.

L0uoPnA_3HH-h2CNyG-Qa-R2GHPuVGzP8aC2UXRF

• 3 weeks later...

nBbq3w3lu20CQ8nUTA2LMHMANHobVOqysjTdQjiC

Been having fun with some of the little things the past few weeks. While I was waiting for powder-coating stuff to come back I decided to take apart the interior, replace the leaky heater core hoses, and other good stuff...

Aq0geZJ6PI1Me39RCXealtE63KKd3g9N__-sqYMH

A LOT of white vinegar has been used. Crazy watching it eat away rust after a couple days. Remember to wash well after soaking.

YCtlzDU7hrsyB1D3tOsd_WJRiKPbfyQR-Arpafjh

Heater core rebuild in process. Need to make proper stencils for the foam seals before cutting them. Kinda tricky cutting that stuff properly.

YRpPUp-ZpyntQeSpD9HQMed0KlIaqyMNgJd3AsT-

Been going to home cheepot the past couple nights trying to replace all the rusty hardware, mostly washers, bolts are still good. Sure is time consuming.

JZASnr-nme7Lqb0u3OMAQRLVWpuQZCMGCB1_d0f1

Decided to go with this Rustoleum stuff for any parts that face heat. Two coats of primer then that stuff. Wish it would come out the bottle more consistent.

lQrkogX_iYQhIWOHm4J1qlul8XkK-1zZD0gCJKOg

Got tires in... Well three for now, last one and the wheels will be coming next week. Went with Falken 195/50/15 and Bassett 15x7 steelies. Called Aero cause I liked there arrow design more but they don't offer 0 offset on there 4x4.5 wheels. But who cares? steelies are steelies. For the tires I just went with what looked like a good set of tires that were pretty cheap. Hope they wont be too tricky to balance, heard they might need to be done so by the wheel and not the hub or something. And since when did Falken start making tires in the U.S.?

mPLeEv4YoRWiGr7HpzKIun8tBWC3E4000U4xo1WI

Powder coating stuff came back. Came out nice but the all black needed a touch of race car. I'll take pics of all of it when I get the front suspension back together. Waiting on the new mounting insulators to come in.