Weber 38 Outlaw or 32/36 ??

SC620

Alright I have the option of buying a very gently used 38 outlaw(all adapters, linkage, filter, etc for $225, also found a new weber 32/36 new for $205 plus $15 shipping. So basically the same price. Which would you roll with.

Plan on camming, etc the l20 later down the road here. What's the beat decision on the carb. Also eventually plan on doing dual side draft but for now ? Used 38 outlaw or 32/36. Pros vs cons guys ??

Help me out, purchasing one or the other today. Yes I searched but not much to be found. Sure if I get the 38 will have to downjet but ... ? New to carbs, new to these trucks. This is a daily and I like mid to top end power, low I could care less about, and don't mind a loppy idle

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First if you found a new Weber 32/36 for $205 it is most likely a Chinesse nock off.

I buy my Webers and weber parts from Pierce Manifolds they sell real Webers. 

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/

I have had both the 32/36 and the 38 Webers and I personally prefer the 32/36.  The 38 is a gas hog.  if you are not concerned with fuel economy and want more performance then go with the 38.

Myself I buy my Webers new and this is because I prefer not to have to put a large amount of time and money into fixing someone elses problems.

Read this and do your research before buying and later being sorry you saved a few dollars.  In the end you will have to buy another carb so do you really save money.

The 32/36 is from Pierce, sold through amazon. Com. $205 plus shipping actual weber. The 38 is from a friend of mine it was only used for 1 month on a Suzuki samurai before he sold it. So it has no issues. I would like to go bigger so def thinking the 38 since it has all the adapter plates and etc, barely used. Clean. Def plan on doing a cam and header, exhaust soon. I think the 38 will serve better for the future even if its a bit boggy for right now until I upgrade the rest of engine

• Like 1

Smaller carbs always run better than larger. By better I mean are easier starting, re-starting when hot, no flat spots, even acceleration, good idle, off idle and mileage. A larger carb will beat a smaller carb maybe on acceleration or top speed. It's better to have a smaller carb and wish you had a larger carb than to have a larger carb and wish it was smaller. If larger carbs were better, we would all run 750 Holly double pumpers.

32/36.... Progressive carb. Primary has to open about 60% before secondary begins to open. This means that at low and mid range you are running on a 32mm primary bore. There is good throttle response and mileage. Even this is larger than a stock L20B carb.

38/38.... Synchronized, both barrels open together. Takes practice to slowly open throttle so engine does not balk off idle and at low speeds. Harder to match throttle to engine needs. The 38/38 is actually a V6 or small V8 carb. Yes, you can learn to live with and drive one but the 32/36 is just much easier.

The 32/36 is from Pierce, sold through amazon. Com. $205 plus shipping actual weber. The 38 is from a friend of mine it was only used for 1 month on a Suzuki samurai before he sold it. So it has no issues. I would like to go bigger so def thinking the 38 since it has all the adapter plates and etc, barely used. Clean. Def plan on doing a cam and header, exhaust soon. I think the 38 will serve better for the future even if its a bit boggy for right now until I upgrade the rest of engine

A 'real' Weber is closer to $300 for a 32/36 with all the gaskets, hardware, adapter plate, linkage and air filter. I'd research this more. Most are knock offs.

• Like 2

Unless things have changed with Weber, the actual Weber 32/36 manufactured carb should have 'Made in Spain' cast into the body. Also, I'm led to believe that the real Webers with electric chokes have a white plastic electric heater housing instead of black.

• Like 1

Yeah Mike is that dude. Great answer man and I def understand what your saying. I'm gonna do the 32/36 for now. Its new and I do believe now will be more drivable and tuneable. I do plan on building the engine and will eventually like it with dual side drafts, nice manifold, headers, big cam, overbore pistons, etc so I'll wait to ho wild with it then. Right now the carb is shot. Major vacumn leaks from everywhere and just all in all runs like crap. The weber 32/36 is from pierce manifolds for $205. Unbelievable price I know but yeah. Look : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TZ9E4B8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501162943&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=datsun+620+carb&dpPl=1&dpID=41LyPRrbyZL&ref=plSrch

• Like 1

Oh its a PMI carb I guess, but still for $205 I think it will be cool. The actual weber my buddy has its the 38 outlaw. Can't I just down jet or down venturi it and get it more drivable. I dont why but I'm so undecided. Gotta buy one or the other today, this truck is a daily and used for handyman jobs. Rides town all day

There is only 2 of those left on amazon if its a good deal someone let me kbow. Please dont screw me by buying them up. Only 2 left, should I jump on it or go with my Buddy's 38 real weber and just down jet it

That's true. I prefer a real weber, but this is only temporary for maybe a year until I can do the dual side drafts. Why is no one agreeing with me on the 38 outlaw my buddy has.is it that undrivable, the condition of it is like new and has all the adapter plates, etc

Its preference for most.... the 32/36 Is just an all around good carb....

Your just getting personal opinions right now because you asked....

You can make that 38/38 work just might take some tuning or just change how you hit the throttle... might have to ease into full throttle instead of just flooring it....

Knockoff carbs are just that....

Maybe if only running for a year you will be ok but I really don't know what issue people have with the knockoffs ...

Thank u brother. Yes I did want a lot of opinions so I could make the best decision. Really think I'm gonna get my Buddy's 38 outlaw just because I know its a real weber, barely used, and I think it will be good for how I like to drive

What size was that suzuki engine it was on? And how did it run?

Also I would Think about the cam next.... combined with the 38/38 You may not even bother with the side drafts.....

But then again in the end why not if you can....

My only recommendation is plan your upgrades.... I have a modified l16 and It bit me in the ass because I wasn't paying attention to how the parts I was buying would interact with each other. Or what was needed to make them work properly..In the end it just cost more time and money to make it all work...

• Like 1

Have had 32/36 weber on 4 ol skool japanese cars so far..75 Toyota Celica with 2.2 engine, 2 other datsun wagons with 2.0 engine and currently installed in 1.8 datsunn 510, no issues, also had 32/36 on 2.8 Capri back in the days, more than enough carburation. Spend an extra 100 dollars on a real one, its worth it, than buying knock off carp.

• Like 1