79 B210 won't start

68dat77

Bought car not running. Previous owner put on new carb( made in china, from ebay I think) and removed smog equipment. Electric fuel pump with fuel in sight glass. Compression test 140 132 140 140. Spark at plugs. Will fire when primed, but will not start. Blocked off any vacuum leaks I can find. read similar threads on this site and worked on it several days. I am missing something. Any thoughts appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your plugs too.... see if they are wet at all....

How much psi is that elecric pump putting out...? Not all are the same....

Disconnect the carb and see if you get fuel coming from the supply line...

Could also try a remote gas tank.... just gravity feed the carb....

That will get you closer to knowing if the carb is the problem or you fuel delivery setup..

• Like 2

When I bought it he said it was running ruff so they changed out the distributor and the carburetor. Then he couldn't get it to run at all. I thought it was probably timing or firing that was the problem, so i bought it thinking simple motor to get running. lol Timing was off,adjusted valves, thought i was about there when it started to fire when primed.

You need spark and gas to run.

SPARK...

Take distributor cap off and crank engine over with starter. You should see the points open and close.... gap should be around 0.020". If not set correct gap.

Set engine to TDC, you may have to take valve cover off to make sure the #1 intake and exhaust valves are closed, then find the mark on the crank pulley and align it with the timing scale zero.  You should observe that the rotor is now pointing to the #1 spark plug wire on the cap above it. If not distributor timing needs to be corrected.

If the above is so, pull a plug wire off and put an old plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface. Spin engine with the starter. You should see sparks. No spark... find out why.

GAS...

Engine off, look down the carb and have someone pump the gas. You should see the choke is closed. Hold choke open you should see gas squirting into the primary barrel.

• Like 2

Is it long enough to see how much advanced it has at idle.....?

Or does it just try and die?

Any backfires out the carb?

I would start double checking the timing like mike described above.. make sure that's good....

Only thing left is the carb at that point....

Thanks for the ideas. Plugs not wet. Took fuel line off by carb, filed a glass bottle. Gas looks ok maybe a little dark in color. Will try remote gas tank after it cools off. 99 degrees outside. 

I've had spark plugs that were fouled even though they weren't wet with gas; just sooty looking. You can burn them off with a propane torch or replace with new. NGK plugs have a really good reputation. As was recommended, lay a plug on top of the engine so it grounds well and see how good the spark looks. It should look strong and regular when cranked (might be better to be in the shade or wait until evening to see better).

I like to use spray carb cleaner as a mild form of starting fluid. Spray a little carb cleaner down the carb throat and crank the engine. If it won't fire on carb cleaner then the fault is very likely no spark. If it runs several seconds on carb cleaner then quits, suspect you have a fuel problem.

Len

• Like 1

I guess I saw '77 b210 in your profile. You have a '79 so it will have electronic ignition without points or ballast resistor.

Stuarts with a prime... says carb not delivering. OR choke not working. Carb cars are hard to start without a choke.

Reversing the two coil wires shouldn't hurt anything. Put them right and see what happens.

You need spark and gas to run.

SPARK...

Set engine to TDC, you may have to take valve cover off to make sure the #1 intake and exhaust valves are closed, then find the mark on the crank pulley and align it with the timing scale zero.  You should observe that the rotor is now pointing to the #1 spark plug wire on the cap above it. If not distributor timing needs to be corrected.

If the above is so, pull a plug wire off and put an old plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface. Spin engine with the starter. You should see sparks. No spark... find out why.

GAS...

Engine off, look down the carb and have someone pump the gas. You should see the choke is closed. Hold choke open you should see gas squirting into the primary barrel.

Confirm these 3 things. You need spark and gas. Get these first.

If it fires with a prime of gas but fails to keep running then the carb is the problem.

I'm having a hard time with the consistency of the problem.

If it fires every time it has fuel in the carb, then yes, it's fuel related. Tank, lines, filter, pump, carb, all need to be checked. I'd start by blowing out the lines with compressed air.

If it fires erratically, it could be electrical. Is your ignition switch good? Try jumping the coil directly from the battery and starting it that way. Does it change anything?

• Like 1