How To - Photobucket Purge

]2eDeYe

First thing you will need to do is find a new host for your pics. I just went to Go-Daddy and got one. Follow their instructions for accessing your new server and make sure you download FTP software to allow bulk transferring of files. I downloaded filezilla as it was the first one recommended by Go-Daddy.

Next go to photobucket and download all of your folders, you have to download each one individually. Videos and GIFs have to be downloaded separately. This is time consuming because all the popups, the retarded captcha and sometimes it just doesn’t work. I had to use firefox after google stopped working for some reason.

Hope fully these step by step pictures are enough to show the entire process of uploading, set up and editing of the PB links. Let me know if you have questions. If you just need to know how to fix the link, those pics will be in the second post. 

Click the link on the 'download album' link. 

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

L5.jpg

L6.jpg

L8.jpg

L9.jpg

I copied the name of the PB Folder and applied that name to the zip/rar file once it was downloaded. This makes everything a little easier to keep track of. 

L10.jpg

L11.jpg

L12.jpg

L13.jpg

Then I start extracting files to build a new folder structure to re-upload and keep everything organized. I will be keeping these folders as backup and updating them as I update the server. 

L14.jpg

L15.jpg

L16.jpg

L17.jpg

R18.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you have you photos re-uploaded to the internet it is time to fix the links in your old posts. 

Start by opening one of the pictures so you can copy the new file path. 

R21.jpg

R22.jpg

Got to the post you want to change and hit 'Edit Post' 

R23.jpg

Change the editor type to html by flipping the little light switch for the BBCode Mode

R25.jpg

Your editor should change to text only. 

R26.jpg

Then it is just a matter of pasting over the old picture path. 

R27.jpg

R29.jpg

R28.jpg

Then you just save the post and the PB junk is replaced with the original pic. 

R30.jpg

Hope this helps  :)

• Like 5

Great write up!!!

I'll add this info here since it's another way to get your pics off PB.  I was turned onto an App for Chrome that's called Photobucket Album Downloader.  I opted to pay the $2 and I proceeded to download nearly 8000 pics from my account.  It doesn't affect the pics that are there....so my links will work as long as PB leaves them alone.  I probably have the originals on a hard drive somewhere, but this way, I have them all in folders and sub folders named the same as they were on PB.  They're also a compressed size, so they don't take up much space.  It will be faster for me to upload them at some point.  I did it this way because I didn't have any luck with PB's album downloader.  Not sure why it worked for Steve, but it really gave me a ton of grief!

There's a free version, but I had albums with over 100 pics....it was well worth the $2.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-album-downloa/jmpbbfglflhdhbmimlcacoojpkeopelc?hl=en

I also went through with this program..... https://www.httrack.com/ and archived my threads.....at least the ones I could find.  This way, I have all the text that goes with the pics.  At some point, I'll see about loading the threads up on my website.  I don't plan on renewing my PB in Aug......unless they can tell me that I'm grandfathered in and the links will still work at the rate I'm paying.  If not, it goes away.

There's also a couple of websites out there that will download web pages to pdf.  If I get a chance, I'll do this to my threads as well....should make uploading to my site a lot easier.  Anyway......photobucket has been going down hill for a lot of years, but this bullshit move really takes the cake.  I'm sorry to see ratsun losing all the info and pics, but there's no way I can go through and relink 8000 pics.......although I'm not sure that many made it to ratsun.  Probably only 4000 or so? lol

• Like 4

Great writeup Redeye.  Good info Mike.

I have downloaded my PhotoF_ckit (PF) Albums several times as I found out that the first time I download my albums I downloaded the main album thinking that sub albums would come down unharmed.  The sub albums did not exist.  So I went back to PF and did each individual album each time fighting mega popups and sometimes could not get past the popups.  It took me about 60 hours to download 3000 pictures.

As I am going through the threads repairing broken links I am finding that there a many missing pictures in the downloads.  I then have to determine which are missing and go back to PF and download individual pictures to be sure I have what I am supposed to.

This has turned into a time consuming mess.

I will from now on keep the original pictures on my computer and also have them backed up.

• Like 3

Yeah, downloading everything was a bitch. I was doing that for days and I still need to get some of my sub albums. 

Mike, do you know if that program downloads you videos and gifs as well? 

• Like 2

It does not do the vids or gifs.  Every time I try to play one of the PB vids, it doesn't work anyway.  I have a downloader for the vids, but since the vids don't play, they won't download.  I don't have any gifs to worry about.  There's about 300 vids, but I can only worry about so much these days.  

• Like 3

Then it is just a matter of pasting over the old picture path. 

R27.jpg

I did the same but instead open the old post, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+X. Then open your favorite editor that can search and replace/all. Hit Ctrl=V.

Replace All (in my case the link section I wanna replace looks like this):

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/a725102/510

With:

http://510factory.com/pictures/Datsun_510_Build_Pics

Here's the original link for reference:

img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/a725102/510/2011-01-30131003.jpg[/img

Will look like this:

img]http://510factory.com/pictures/Datsun_510_Build_Pics/2011-01-30131003.jpg[/img

So now you have the whole post edited with correct links. Now do the same. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+X. Go to your post, Ctrl+V, save changes.

Done. A whole post edited in 5sec and your editor ready to paste the next post into.

• Like 3

I foresee this happening again some day as we all settle on the next host. How much would it cost to host on Ratsun? If members paid for that service? Space seems affordable these days. Folks could still post free from other sites, but could, if they chose, host local to Ratsun.

• Like 1

Josh.....was your link replacement method contingent on you having saved your pics with the same name on the new server?  Was that done automatically with the FTP transfer?  I should probably go back and look at that a bit more.

• Like 1

Josh.....was your link replacement method contingent on you having saved your pics with the same name on the new server?  Was that done automatically with the FTP transfer?  I should probably go back and look at that a bit more.

If you downloaded them from PhotoFucket they'll still have the same name as the original post links.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the same but instead open the old post, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+X. Then open your favorite editor that can search and replace/all. Hit Ctrl=V.

Replace All (in my case the link section I wanna replace looks like this):

This works awesome. Thanks :thumbup: