The ways of a Nissan

Madbmx

Wazz up guys, I'm new to this forum and just recently bought a 1986 Nissan 720 for $500. A little background...I'm 18 and I have always been In luvvv with the old Nissans and Datsuns, my dad in the other hand loves vw bugs and rabbits so I was stuck with a 2006 Audi A3 (which I love). But the engine on the A3 finally blew after moving up to Georgia from Miami for school. It was a blessing in disguise and I took that opportunity to get me my Nissan and that's how I got here talking about my 720.

I just want to get some advice and learn the ways of owning a Nissan

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for one, vintage vehicles from 'back then' need to be maintained. They are very 'hands on' so get a factory service manual (FSM) for your year and start learning/doing your own work. I don't know if you have a job but it seems crazy to work four hours to pay for one hour for a mechanic (who knows nothing about them and may not have even been born when they came out) to learn how to fix them. (and he gets to keep this knowledge!!!) Maybe your parents are rich, I don't know, but learning about them and being able to fix or at least know what wrong when it happens is very powerful and satisfying. Most of it is preventative maintenance. Regular changes of fluids and a few parts so they don't fail on you.

Dos and don't? the list is endless so just ask first to be sure. One thing about the Z24 engine is the head gaskets tend to blow every 100k. The preventative 'cure' for this is to re-torque the head bolts. More on this later. As you are the 2, 3, 4 8th??? owner this truck has probably been neglected because a $500 isn't worth keeping up. Expect a lot of things to be near worn out and need replacing.

• Like 1

Well for one, vintage vehicles from 'back then' need to be maintained. They are very 'hands on' so get a factory service manual (FSM) for your year and start learning/doing your own work. I don't know if you have a job but it seems crazy to work four hours to pay for one hour for a mechanic (who knows nothing about them and may not have even been born when they came out) to learn how to fix them. (and he gets to keep this knowledge!!!) Maybe your parents are rich, I don't know, but learning about them and being able to fix or at least know what wrong when it happens is very powerful and satisfying. Most of it is preventative maintenance. Regular changes of fluids and a few parts so they don't fail on you.

Dos and don't? the list is endless so just ask first to be sure. One thing about the Z24 engine is the head gaskets tend to blow every 100k. The preventative 'cure' for this is to re-torque the head bolts. More on this later. As you are the 2, 3, 4 8th??? owner this truck has probably been neglected because a $500 isn't worth keeping up. Expect a lot of things to be near worn out and need replacing.

Well I have some experience on working on cars and my dad knows a lot about these old cars "I'm not a rich kid". As you said it is very satisfying when fixing something on your car. I'm actually the 2nd owner, I got this car from some old couple who lived on a farm and it was used to carry fertilizer and equipment. I also have all the original documentation on the vehicle from the day they bought it and a stack of insurance cards from 1986 to 2010 that is pretty cool. That $500 was like buying the winning lottery ticket, I love the character and the way it feels and only 200,000 miles on it.

It's like being a kid and your dad wants you to play baseball, but all you want to do is ride bike, same shit with my dad he wants me to be into all these European cars and all I ever wanted was my nissan. My dad is very mechanically incline, but he doesn't like working on these "ricers" that's what he calls them. But I don't care, I want to learn by myself...I'm good on mainting vehicles, I just want to Know tricks with the carburetor and all the vacuum lines that could be elimanted and wiring that could be elimanted, Also things like what I need to covert it to a manual transmission, changing it to a 5x4.5 lug pattern, and basically what parts I should get and where I should get them from. And maybe later, when I have enough money saved up, swap the engine...maybe for the inline 6 that comes on the 240z?

Up to now the car drives nice it doesn't leak, no smoking, fumes smell is at like 10%, new spark plug which is funny I never knew it was dual sparkplugs. I put about 1,800 miles in it already as I luv to drive. Also how tf to put a rack-n-pinion.

Sorry to hit you with all this, but I google these things and I don't see much on the 720 so that's why I came here hoping you guys know a thing or two. Don't want to sell it, it's what I always wanted. This pick up suits my life perfectly and I don't want it to be just a daily driver I want to beef it the F**** out.

• Like 1

I would do a compression check so have a bench line

That's all been done. Put it this way that car runs better than m Audi A3 2.0t. It feels like a 1962 beetle that my dad used to own I love the feeling, I love the smell. It's not as fast but it makes me happy

• Like 1

Join a photo hosting site. I use postimage.io. host your photos there and then post them to here.

Others use imgur or flickr etc.

Avoid photobucket at all costs.

• Like 1

And maybe later, when I have enough money saved up, swap the engine...maybe for the inline 6 that comes on the 240z?

Dont bother. Youl learn eventually why thats not a good idea and there a far better options that actually fit in the truck.

My advice is to tune it up and drive it for now. Enjoy and get some experience. I admire your enthusiasm but if you read and research for the next while, I want you to come back and give me three excellent reasons why a 240z engine is the worst idea for an engine swap. When you can do this you will also know what engines are. 

• Like 1

Did i read that correctly u are planning to install a 240z engine in the 720?

Yea but apparently it's not a good idea lmao, I just like that inline 6 with triple carburetor and side draft look and the sound of it.

• Like 1

My advice is to tune it up and drive it for now. Enjoy and get some experience. I admire your enthusiasm but if you read and research for the next while, I want you to come back and give me three excellent reasons why a 240z engine is the worst idea for an engine swap. When you can do this you will also know what engines are.

Alright thx, I'll do that

Oh let me know if you guys were able to see the truck

• Like 1

Alright so for one I'm guessing the engine is too long and seems like a pain a lot of fabrication And looks like the ka24e is a good choice, but for now I'm just gonna enjoy the engine it has now and upgrade things like the carburetor.

• Like 1