New 620 Owner

Rob73

Hello all!

Just bought my first datsun, been wanting one for years, stoked to finally have one! It's a '73 620 with very little rust and I'm looking to put about $500-$1,000 into it right off the bat. I'm intending to run a compression test and all that other fun stuff to figure out the health of the engine as soon as I have time. I'm not concerned with the power of the engine at all for now, just safety, reliability and handling. I'm seeking some wisdom and insight based on the trucks current condition and the potentially best way to spend my money from there. Bullets below!

1) It's got an L20b in it with a weber carb and was converted to a 5spd, but it's looking like the rear end wasn't done along with it. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are all nice and smooth, but the 4th gear slot feels deep (but still an easy shift) and 5th is way over there and a little awkward to get into. I got it cruisin' up to 65mph at about 3500rpm bringing it home on the highway. I'm sure it could go faster but I didn't want to push it.

2) There's an exhaust leak located underneath at about the driver seat area. While I don't mind just getting it repaired for now, I'm thinking of just replacing it entirely as its pretty rough looking overall.

3) Still all drums and I'd like to get disc brakes on it at some point, but when I do it depends on the reliability of these old style drums and the advice I receive. This truck is for the most part going to be a weekend town rig with the occassional jump from Washington to Oregon (once a month tops). I've already found some of the disc brake conversion threads on here that talk about the kits and what type of parts I may need to find on top of that.

4) It handles fine as long as the roads I'm on are in fair condition even when going at highway speeds, but if I'm doing 50-60+ and roll into major bumps/tracked out lanes on the highway the thing can get pretty squirrely (two hands definitely required!). I know there are all sorts of potential factors; tire size/condition, allignment, nature of an older rig, etc. I'd like to get this thing as stable as possible as my wife will end up driving it, albeit rarely, but she scares/panics easily. If I don't get this bullet sorted out, I'll at best be in big trouble for having bought this truck and at worst she'll be dead. Looking for good suggestions!

I've been doing a ton of research since well before I bought this truck and there are a lot of things I have a good idea on how to potentially move forward. I know there are threads on my thoughts listed above, but I'd like to get some direct input to ensure I'm making sound decisions. Any other suggestions on spending my $500-$1,000 to get my priorities for this truck lined up are appreciated! If I've got extra room to do some other useful things after all that while still remaining within the limits of my initial budget, please do share!

Thanks in advance for any wisdom thrown my way!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1/ The L20B is far and away a stronger engine than the original L16 so this is a plus. Sloppy shift will be worn out shifter bushings. Easy and cheap fix.

2/ Probably need a complete system bent to fit the truck. Have them us 2" pipe which is a modest increase from the stock pipe.

3/ Nothing wrong with the 4 wheel 10" drum brakes.... when they are adjusted and working right. But that is the problem ... adjusting them every couple of months to keep them at optimum. Go with a disc brake conversion for the fronts. I wouldn't worry about the rears. Rear disc are not worth the bother for what little they do.

4/ Biggest bang for the buck are new heavy duty shocks. Next, get an alignment.... they will tell you if the front end needs new king pins and or steering ball joints and idler arm..

Yeah I checked out the cab mounts upon first inspection before buying it, all good there, thanks!

I also already jumped right on scheduling an allignment and brake job first thing yesterday morning. Will definitely get your other suggestions worked in there. Thanks Mike! Can't wait to start gettin to work on the fun stuff down the road.

Regarding exhaust leak. May not need to replace the whole exhaust system, maybe just need a new gasket between exhaust manifold and pipes, if pipes are good why spend money, jack it up in all fours and inspect really good, including muffler.

yes experience has shown me that in order to enjoy your ride you must do as little as possible on it so it stays on the road. mine hasnt seen the asphalt in 4 years. It sucks

What's caused this most particularly for you? Adding discs have anything to do with that?

For me it started with rusty corners. Then I opened the engine only based on the fact that it was smoking. Totally forgot about doing a compression test. Then I fucked up and re-rebuilt the engine. At that point I took everything out of the engine bay and decided on a paint job. Halfassed it and decided on a full paintjob. Sandblasted it and found dozens of holes to weld back up. My problem right now is that im tired of butching my work so im taking my time for the floor corners and need. to wait for professionals to fab some dies for the recessed mounts. Then I will also find a way of duplicating the sub floor mounts using the rusty bits I have left.

That being said, I know swapping drums to disks is merely childs play. I hope your '73 doesnt hide a tenth of all the problems mine did. Good luck

Brand new here, also - first post - and I just picked up my first 620, as well - a '79. Pretty excited, just like you are. I've owned several S30s since 1987 and am glad there are similarities that will help with the learning curve. My first issue was that when I first locked the doors, the key would turn, but not far enough to unlock either door lock. Dammit! Had to call an unlocking service on the first day I owned it. Pulled my box of S30 lock parts and some WD-40 out and had it all fixed pretty quick. Weber 32/36 and new windshield on order. Need to install a new manifold gasket and fan clutch - already purchased - and should be good to go for awhile.

Thanks for the add - glad to be here.

dead

Yeah good to see so many people of varying experience, makes me all the more excited. I hope your project goes well!

Per compression test engines doing well on mine; 175 on one and the rest upper 160s. Has a minor oil leak. Gonna run through the thing top to bottom asap.

Thanks for all the replies thus far!