L20B cheap reliability parts

Speedymaru

Hello, I'm getting a 77 Datsun 620 with an l20b motor and 5 speed tranny. The engine was supposedly rebuilt about 8k miles ago. I want to know what I can do to the motor to make it more reliable and possibly add a little power. Power isn't a huge thing to me and I know I won't get much with my budget. I mainly just want to bulletproof the motor. What kinda of things should I do to it? I plan on putting in an electronic distributor but what else? Also, what is the best electronic distributor for these motors? Thanks in advance

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind there is a wide difference in one person's idea of a rebuild and anther's. If it is currently in a vehicle you can at least start it, if not then you just have to take their word for it. If rebuilt why is it for sale? Are there receipts for work done? Where was it done? Backyard or a shop? Compression test will give a rough idea if it's good. A cheap half ass backyard 'rebuild' is probably about had it by 8K.

Things to look for are easy reliable starting and idle. Must be able to restart when hot. Charging system working, good battery, heater, wipers and headlights all work at the same time. Brakes actually work and do not pull to one side... no brake fluid leaks. Tracks straight down the road steering firm and responsive. Glass unbroken. Door hinges to worn out. Exhaust quiet so you can hear anything. All gears shift smoothly. Does not over heat. Look at the oil on the dipstick.... this is a good indication if the owner is looking after it with regular oil changes.

Most bulletproof/reliable is stock. Get it running and tuned up first and go from there.

A '79-'80 L20B distributor would be the best for looks but the '78 remote igniter will work as well and you may find one cheap because they are less identifiable as an EI distributor. They don't make any more power but they don't need any maintenance, adjustments or points replaced either.

There's only one item that falls into both the added reliability and extra horsepower category, and that's a Weber DGV carb. Ok, it may not actually be more reliable than a stock carb, but it's no less reliable than one and it will make a bit more HP, and it's easy to tune for performance and economy.

I guess a "turbo" oil pump too.

Other than that, if the engine is in good shape, I'd focus on the suspension and steering. All new parts there can make driving a vintage truck a lot more fun.

Honestly what is wrong with points ignition?  There is good and bad to everything.  Many times points has as much good than bad.   With points you have the potential to just throw your hands up and run solid core wires and a more powerful coil for an unbeatable spark! 

Okay thank you all for the replies. The engine is in the truck and it runs and drives. He says it has great compression and power. He doesn't know who did the rebuild because he bought it after it had been rebuilt. He says it needs the brakes redone but he already has the shoes and fluid for it. It seems easy enough and like something I could do.

I don't know much about distributors, and am a little confused on which way to go. I looked up the pertronix system. Is it just a piece that goes in place of the points? How hard is it to install?

So it sounds like the best thing to do is keep is mostly stock until something goes wrong. I'm not sure which carb is on it but he says it's dialed in and running well.

One more thing, what suspension and steering parts should I be replacing?

Again, thank you all for the responses

first take photo of the distributor inside and I will tell you if the Pertronix will fit it or not. Ine might have to cut the ring lobe above the points to make the Pertronix fit.

I would use the stock coil and use the ballast reisitor wht you have

Nothign wrong with points if you know how to keep them adjusted and ck for wear and loose ground on points. To me they are not as reliable for a new car owner. But  points gave me the worst reliabliity of all distributors then maybe carbs next.

Most distributors are now nearing 40years old most are worn out and have lots of slop in them

to me a elelctronic distributor and a weber carb was best investment on my datsun.

new hoses and  spares.

The matchbox distributor has more power output and reliability. Well, points can be reliable if you want to file and adjust them every 3K and replace every 10 or is it 5K??? Points are constantly wearing down and changing their dwell and timing. Matchbox is set and forget.

Points versus Pertronix again???  As a guy who rebuilds 1500 distributors a year, I chose points.  Compare points versus the same distributor with Pertronix in it when you're on the dyno - points win.  By a LOT.  It'll also beat the matchbox, but the matchbox is more reliable than a Pertronix.  The new Pertronix systems are NOT reliable.  Their distributors are cheap China junk.  They have made 3 redesigns in modules over the last 7-8 years and none of the changes were good.  Their lobe sensing modules are the worst - as they pick up all kinds of engine bay noise from plug wires, alternators, etc...  And they steal power from your coil, so spark output is decreased by roughly 10% versus points.  

• Like 1

Yep, I would safely day that 95% of shops don't know ok skool tech. Like points, but you can go on you tube, buy a datsun manual, go here..tons of stuff and search manuals. Most shops today can only do RR, remove and replace, they use of reader and points to problem area. 2 ole skool mechanic of mine retired recently and they are in their 60s.

Famous Leaders of Lost Causes

• Don Quixote - Chivalry is not dead
  • Robert E Lee - Let the south rise again
  • Jeff Schlemmer - Points distributors are reliable

You've sold me on the idea, but I see a long road ahead of you.

I guess I know how to rebuild a distributor to give many, many years of service life from points.  They don't all work like that, and not all points are created equal.  The auto industry didn't drop points until they were forced to in 1975.  Look overseas to see how everyone else waiting until technology grew to where there was a benefit with electronics.  European versions of or cars and trucks had points until 1980 or later, in almost ALL makes and models.  

• Like 1