N-VCT delete?

kyuji

Has this  been done (sorry search function is broken)?   I've got my QG18de appart and i've got the N-VCT cam phaser apart (it was broken to begin with).  Looks like it would be a pretty simple affair to make a flange to mount to the sprocket (i.e. a flange that would mount where the phaser was).   

The reason for me wanting to do this:

a) The control valve was missing when I got the engine, I don't want to have to buy another

b ) simpler

c) by making a flange I could also adapt the distributor I have from an '83 pulsar nx so it runs off the intake cam

d) the engine is going to be boosted anyway so vvt isn't as critical

I've got some pics I'll post later to show what I'm talking about

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why this would be a problem.

B)simpler would be to just run it as it is now...I assume it runs without the broken N-CVT?

C) is this the real reason? Whats wrong with the ignition as it is now???

I don't see why this would be a problem.

B)simpler would be to just run it as it is now...I assume it runs without the broken N-CVT?

C) is this the real reason? Whats wrong with the ignition as it is now???

It's possible I broke it when I removed it as I didn't follow the FSM proceedure exaclty.

I got the engine from Pick-Y-Pull, so I never got to see it run.  It didn't have the n-cvt solenoid actuator on it, so I'd need to go to pick-y-pull and get one ---- but people usually snatch up stuff like that (and the MAF, CAS, etc etc). 

The stock ignition needs a CAS that is absent from the engine, an ECU that I didn't get, coils that weren't there, a harness that wasn't there/i cut into getting the engine out of the car, etc etc.

The easy way is to just use a distributor, and then a GM 5-pin HEI module (like the 4 pin module but has a retard pin), and a coil.   

I guess I COULD do a megajolt but I don't see the advantage.   I can design and  machine a flange, I was just curious if this has been done before. 

Another reason I don't care about the N-VCT is that I'm going to use an eaton m62 blower on this engine, so I don't want/need any intake/exhaust overlap. 

BTW this was an issue on the GA16DE RWD project that the guy faced -- that engine used a distributor that hung off the rear of the cylinder head which jutted agains the firewall.  Just doing it this way would provide a starting point for someone that wanted to pick up the GA16DE RWD where the author left off also (I personally don't have any plans to tinker with GA16 though). 

3T1DsbYyB2C5.jpg

3T1ERZba1g7i.jpg

FWD?

the QG is FWD in everything I know of (maybe there's some weird AWD JDM stuff), this came out of a '05 Sentra.  I'm in the process of adapting it to RWD application (adapter plate+KA24E trans into a 240SX) It's in the thread called "GA16DE RWD" (I continued an old thread since the engines are close and that thread was the inspiration).