#1 ryknot

ryknot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Cars:75' lil hustler

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

I replaced the carrier bearing on my 75 620 maybe 10yrs ago and I don't remember having this much trouble getting it off. The isolater quit, not the bearing. Do they sometimes need to be pressed off? I certainly didnt press it on, im sure of that. I know this has been talked about before, I looked but couldn't find it. My manuals don't mention a press, they say to "draw it off"?

#2 Rick-rat

Rick-rat

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Cars:1979 620 K C

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

Use a sharp pencil to draw it off,     I believe that Datsun shops used a puller with long arms  to remove them

#3 ryknot

ryknot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, they would have to be long. My gear pullers fall way short..

#4 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,818 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

Draw it off infers using a gear puller. Likely you would press or hammer the new one on....  possibly tightening the nut might push it on.The bearing almost never goes bad. Only one alleged to have actually failed was metalmonky's. The rubber idolator is a much different story. They always rot and shred.

I wrapped a one inch wide strip of conveyor belt around the driveshaft and clamped it in place with the U shaped holder. Had to cut to proper length so that it was securely snug. Planned to get a new one but it worked so well I forgot and just left it.

Posted Image

#5 ryknot

ryknot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:11 PM

I remember replacing the last one and it was just a matter of tightening the nut. Gonna see if I can rent or borrow a puller that will work. Thanks.

#6 Rick-rat

Rick-rat

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Cars:1979 620 K C

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

Draw it off infers using a gear puller. Likely you would press or hammer the new one on....  possibly tightening the nut might push it on.The bearing almost never goes bad. Only one alleged to have actually failed was metalmonky's. The rubber idolator is a much different story. They always rot and shred.

I wrapped a one inch wide strip of conveyor belt around the driveshaft and clamped it in place with the U shaped holder. Had to cut to proper length so that it was securely snug. Planned to get a new one but it worked so well I forgot and just left it.

As usual, this was already answered, but you couldn't resist. He only asked how to remove the carrier bearing.

You don't need to post on every thread here, just my opinion   :angel:

#7 ryknot

ryknot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

As usual, this was already answered, but you couldn't resist. He only asked how to remove the carrier bearing.
You don't need to post on every thread here, just my opinion   :angel:

Lol. I'll stay outta that. I will add however that the bearing is removed with a gear puller with jaws long enough to reach and a little patience.

#8 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,818 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

Rick is rethinking that.

Posted Image

#9 jefe de jefes

jefe de jefes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • Cars:1959 L210,72 pl521,64 L320,63 NL320,71 510 4Door,72 510 2Door

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

Air hammer.

I used an air hammer once to remove the bearing long time ago in a galaxy far away.
Easy peasy
Posted Image