Somebody went into my truck.

I park my truck at a park and ride, and then catch a carpool the rest of the way to work.

While I was gone, today, somebody went into my truck and replaced my rear view mirror, that the previous owner had put in ages ago, with a stock Datsun truck rear view mirror.  Or, at least, it looks like one.

This is a very weird thing to do and I'm a little confused.

Has anyone else had some aftermarket part swapped to stock while they were away from their vehicle?  Is this a normal thing to do?  

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I park my truck at a park and ride, and then catch a carpool the rest of the way to work.

While I was gone, today, somebody went into my truck and replaced my rear view mirror, that the previous owner had put in ages ago, with a stock Datsun truck rear view mirror.  Or, at least, it looks like one.

Has anyone else had some aftermarket part swapped to stock while they were away from their vehicle?  Is this a normal thing to do?  

Strange question here, but has other strange stuff been happening in your life lately? 

• Like 1

While I was gone, today, somebody went into my truck and replaced my rear view mirror, that the previous owner had put in ages ago, with a stock Datsun truck rear view mirror. Or, at least, it looks like one.

Has anyone else had some aftermarket part swapped to stock while they were away from their vehicle? Is this a normal thing to do?

Datsun fairy?

• Like 5

Well I suppose an enraged OCD 620 owner couldn't stand it any more and replaced it. 

If he took the old one probably it was for his vehicle but probably figured you wouldn't mind a genuine stock period correct mirror.

Strange question here, but has other strange stuff been happening in your life lately? 

Yeah like your front door key doesn't work, wife and or kids were replaced while at work, where's the cat? and what's this dog doing here? Your boss calls you Ken now. You've simply slipped from your parallel universe into ours. Here you always had the correct mirror.

• Like 4

Well I suppose an enraged OCD 620 owner couldn't stand it any more and replaced it. 

If he took the old one probably it was for his vehicle but probably figured you wouldn't mind a genuine stock period correct mirror.

Yeah like your front door key doesn't work, wife and or kids were replaced while at work, where's the cat? and what's this dog doing here? Your boss calls you Ken now. You've simply slipped from your parallel universe into ours. Here you always had the correct mirror.

One of your lamest and stupid responses ever  :poop:FB's

They only "went in" because I don't lock my truck, so they didn't have to break anything to get it.  So, they didn't really break in.

It's really weird though.  I don't think mirrors are generally expensive.  So, I can't imagine it being an expensive aftermarket...Not worth breaking in and taking it.  And then replacing it.

I haven't noticed anything else missing, either.  I'm just confused.  Like, I'm sure something in the truck was worth more than the mirror.  Right?

• Like 1

They only "went in" because I don't lock my truck, so they didn't have to break anything to get it.  So, they didn't really break in.

It's really weird though.  I don't think mirrors are generally expensive.  So, I can't imagine it being an expensive aftermarket...Not worth breaking in and taking it.  And then replacing it.

I haven't noticed anything else missing, either.  I'm just confused.  Like, I'm sure something in the truck was worth more than the mirror.  Right?

RW suggests you put the crack pipe down and consider seeking professional help.

Sounds like someone had an extra or left over mirror from the past and decided to give it a new home, they have likely been looking at your truck for some time now.

Normally I would have thought that they would have left the mirror you had in the passenger side seat though.

Have any of your Datsun friends ever mentioned the mirror before, said something like "that mirror isn't stock, I have a stock one"?

• Like 2

I'm not upset about the stock mirror.  I think it looks nicer than the other one.  But, I never really talked about my mirror, before.  I didn't even think about the other one being not stock.  It was functional and that was all it ever needed to be.  

If they would've left the mirror on the seat, I would have thought it was a lovely gift.  It's weird that it got installed while sitting in broad daylight at a park and ride.  

I thought you would appreciate it.

According to your location info under your pic, I'd say you're a bit far away for this to have been you.

I like the responses here.  I suppose someone just noticed my mirror and it bugged the shit out of them, so one day, they sorted it out.

They could've just left it on the seat with a note, though.

• Like 1

well, if you're parking in seattle you got a bunch of weirdoes down there. but i am surprised they didn't leave the non stock mirror. 

and as to something being done in broad daylight i pulled the stereo out of a 02 honda accord in the dmv parking lot while waiting for my now ex wife to get done inside, tons of people walked past, nobody said anything. 

• Like 2

I'm guessing it was locked.

Old Datsun locks can be opened with a popsicle stick.

I routinely grab my tool box key by mistake when leaving work after dark, and it works just fine to open the door. 

Well if it went down like you said and it was a stock mirror which was replaced with a non-stock mirror, that's an easy one;

Someone restoring a Datsun needed a stock mirror but did a switcheroo with a non-stock mirror to avoid being a total dick about it.

But since it was a non-stock mirror replaced with a stock mirror, who the f!@# knows.

Reminds me of a story I heard 5 years ago from three different customers of Pierre Z ( the Z mechanic in Ca.'s South Bay who gained fame by doing the concourse restorations of 240z's for Nissan a few years ago).

This identical story stated that when they left their ZCAR's for service by Pierre and their cars had some nice NOS parts on them...

...they would be returned by Pierre with the NOS parts replaced with average used parts.

Real slick...