New Member New Project

madams

Hey everyone I finally was able to pick up my new to me truck from my brother in law. I'm going to try to add in some pics here to start (I did read the sticky for photoshop). This will be a slowish project for me. My only question for you is if the bench seat is the factory seat?

IMG_20170629_163127276_HDR_zpsey6y5ck2.j

IMG_20170629_163113816_HDR_zpskij280mb.j

IMG_20170601_193210953_zpsuapgxdu4.jpg

IMG_20170601_193028909_zpssnse75r5.jpg

IMG_20170601_192854785_BURST000_COVER_TO

IMG_20170601_192732792_BURST001_zpslw162

• Like 3
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's an '80 720. It was the last year the L20B engine was used.

That bench seat looks like it was recovered. And a Toyota manual won't help much. :lol:

Your vacuum advance to the distributor is disconnected. This will degrade part throttle performance and mileage.

Your water cooled/warmed intake is disconnected. The thermostat by pass hose looks like it was replaced with a rubber hose and the intake left disconnected.... not at all a good idea in warmer climates. You need a Y connector to get it working again

The fuel return line also looks like it's been removed.... also not a good idea in warmer climates. It prevents vapor lock in warm weather and hot starts easier.

This is a problem with owners that don't understand what everything is for. They just blindly remove things and shoot themselves in the foot.

• Like 2

I'd like to see a pic of that A/C compressor bracket. There's another thread here discussing the installation of a modern A/C compressor on an L motor.

Nice truck.

[IMG_20170708_051326314_zps9niebqlb.jpg

Thats the best I was able to do last night after I got off work. Let me know if you need more/better pics and I will get them as soon as I can.

Thanks for the A/C bracket pic. It looks like a simple fabricated steel piece and not a complex cast item. Easy enough to replicate.

The large hose nipple is a coolant circulation passage that was originally connected to a steel pipe that ran across the front of the engine and down to another nipple on the water inlet on the passenger side of the timing cover. A lot of people have incorrectly assumed that hot water running to the intake manifold is bad and have deleted them over the years. In fact, the water circulating through the intake manifold helps cool the intake from the heat of the exhaust manifold, which is directly below it. Probably a good idea to hook it back up. It won't affect performance too much, but every ounce counts on a 100hp 4cyl.

• Like 2

Thanks for the A/C bracket pic. It looks like a simple fabricated steel piece and not a complex cast item. Easy enough to replicate.

The large hose nipple is a coolant circulation passage that was originally connected to a steel pipe that ran across the front of the engine and down to another nipple on the water inlet on the passenger side of the timing cover. A lot of people have incorrectly assumed that hot water running to the intake manifold is bad and have deleted them over the years. In fact, the water circulating through the intake manifold helps cool the intake from the heat of the exhaust manifold, which is directly below it. Probably a good idea to hook it back up. It won't affect performance too much, but every ounce counts on a 100hp 4cyl.

Thank you! I love this forum!

• Like 2

Nice truck indeed ! Glad to see another one back on the road :). There are several of us out here that love these little trucks. Mine just got one of the top 5 open class awards at a Nissan Z car show here in Nashville. Nothing special about mine, just a cute little truck, but does show that there are folks out there that see the difference in these versus newer vehicles. You might not always see the reactions when you drive it somewhere, but I guarantee people walking by it at Lowes or any parking lot take notice of them...I even had the DMV guys wanting to take pics of it when I went through emission testing last year...they could not believe it was that old and still passed emissions, ha,ha