Custom Center Consoles--510

So i'm looking to put a center console into my 510. I'm not looking for anything that will shave off what little space there is in the car. I'm interested in what other people have in their cars. Doesn't need to be a 510, just looking for ideas.

Below are center consoles out of an automatic 510 and a 620. I'm looking for a console (most likely DIY) that I can put things into but is low profile and  goes along the transmission tunnel.

unnamed_zpse9xuoo2i.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that the center console from a 90's Dodge Neon does a pretty good job. Not my cup of tea but many I've talked to say it fits well & has ample cup holders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CENTER-CONSOLE-Dodge-Plymouth-Neon-2000-2001-2002-2003/401039089158?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

• Like 1

I've heard that the center console from a 90's Dodge Neon does a pretty good job. Not my cup of tea but many I've talked to say it fits well & has ample cup holders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CENTER-CONSOLE-Dodge-Plymouth-Neon-2000-2001-2002-2003/401039089158?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Yeah I've heard the same. My problem with it is that It's just too modern for me. And I dislike the Idea of having that armrest at my elbow when driving. The issue for me is that there isn't any console that easily adapts to the 510 (that I've seen) that i like.

• Like 1

Z car gets really wide toward the front, i don't think it will fit right.

720s are an option though still uncommon. I have one from a 210 or a b210 I don't remember which. Looks a lot like the 620 unit.

I use a 720 console in my wagon and it fits nicely and doesn't look too out of place. Not a lot of storage room but there is enough. That 620 console looks like it would be too long between the hole for the shifter and the front end. There are different versions of the 720 console but I think this one fits best.

And since images are the big discussion right now, I used Imgur to post this image.

5f6ogDz.jpg

• Like 2

Look at 710 two different styles (maybe 610)  The 620. The 720 maybe but they tend to be more squar-ish style. I have an A10 in my stash... they are long from wide to slim around the shifter.

Yeah I've heard the same. My problem with it is that It's just too modern for me. And I dislike the Idea of having that armrest at my elbow when driving. The issue for me is that there isn't any console that easily adapts to the 510 (that I've seen) that i like.

I totally get it. I like it to look like it belonged there instead of looking like a make-shift transplant. I may have a contact with an original Datsun center console that is in decent shape but if I remember correctly, the arm rest needs to be reupholstered. PM me to let me know if you're interested & I'll see if he's willing to turn it loose.

I might have to look in to that 3 gauge vw center console. Might be perfect for my 510. Thanks volkswagner!

Those definitely look like they'd fit. You'd have to set up the different gauges obviously, assuming you find a console without the gauges torn out...

I already have a 3 gauge set going in to my 510. I have a set of 720 4x4 volt and oil meters and an Infiniti QX4 analog clock. I had other plans for my gauge panel and center console, but that 3 gauge VW unit seems like a better option than i was thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the unit I'm interested in.

$_58.JPG

Shorter would be perfect, as I have AC tubing under my dash.

Also what are the three things in the middle? I've seen some with those and some with a storage pocket

You aren't THAT much older than me. I grew up in the 80s but I've not seen that type tape holder before. I'm used to the ones that held the case so you could see it.

Awesome! Thank you sir. I'm really thinking that mk1 is perfect for my build. Thanks again for going to the effort to take that pic, and for the idea in the first place.

• Like 1