81 datsun 720 4x4 fix up!

El_Roy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad it isn't in a vehicle and running so you can see.

An '84 engine would fit into your '81. Find out if it has the flywheel and clutch on it. In a pinch you could use your 22 flywheel. Keep in mind that your transmission has the release bearing collar for the Z22, 225mm clutch... it won't work properly on a 240mm clutch. You will need to swap your Z22 oil pan and pick up tube onto the Z24 for the front differential clearance. Other than this, mounts, rad, fuel line, throttle cable, exhaust, transmission, ignition wiring... all will bolt up.

The Z24 has 130 ft lb of torque at 2,800. It will be an improvement over the Z22 on a heavy 4x4.

Too bad it isn't in a vehicle and running so you can see.

An '84 engine would fit into your '81. Find out if it has the flywheel and clutch on it. In a pinch you could use your 22 flywheel. Keep in mind that your transmission has the release bearing collar for the Z22, 225mm clutch... it won't work properly on a 240mm clutch. You will need to swap your Z22 oil pan and pick up tube onto the Z24 for the front differential clearance. Other than this, mounts, rad, fuel line, throttle cable, exhaust, transmission, ignition wiring... all will bolt up.

The Z24 has 130 ft lb of torque at 2,800. It will be an improvement over the Z22 on a heavy 4x4.

It comes with flywheel and everything except the clutch I belive.would i need to change my ecu as well?

This post is so long I forget all the facts mentioned. You said it's an '81 but the engine looks like a Z24...

1ClGe2a.jpg

Look between the two exhaust manifold pipes. Down onto the engine block just below the aluminum head. There is a flat space with the engine size stamped on it. Find out what engine you have in there FIRST..

• Like 1

This post is so long I forget all the facts mentioned. You said it's an '81 but the engine looks like a Z24...

1ClGe2a.jpg

Look between the two exhaust manifold pipes. Down onto the engine block just below the aluminum head. There is a flat space with the engine size stamped on it. Find out what engine you have in there FIRST..

Going to do so today

• Like 1

Has Z24 valve cover, Z22 cover has longer bolts ... but these can be swapped. Just saying that if this already has a Z24 swapped in, it will be much easier.

The fuel pump block off plate is there. Z22s had this but not the Z24 head. Z22 and Z24 heads are the same and... could also have been swapped.

Bonus points. I see a fram oil filter!

• Like 2

I dropped a z24 in place of a z22 many years ago. It was a long block used JDM engine. Flywheel and intake bolted up, I used a header so I am not positive the exhuast manifold bolts up but ran that engine 20 plus years. Pulled it running fine for a ka swap. Got $28 at the scrappers after putting it on Craigslist for a week. Make an offer if he can't start it up, I don't think there is much of a market for that motor.

• Like 1