81 datsun 720 4x4 fix up!

El_Roy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@datzenmike thank you sir!

I can't do it with my phone I don't have a computer at the moment.

So I did as you said and my fuel pump does not shut off!What happend was I guess the gas that was in the gas tank was sitting for a while/old and was clogging up the filter that is hooked up between the tank and my pump so I cleaned it up real good and draind as much gas as possible!it is still a bit dirty so hopefully it clears up soon, if anybody has anything that might help me clean it out any faster.

• Like 1

I bought new CVs at All Foreign for my 720 a couple months ago, so yes you can absolutely buy new ones. About $120 a half. Also you won't really find an old truck with good CV boots, at least I have NEVER seen one. In fact all the 4wd 720s I have seen that we're now owned by rats or people that cared had almost no boots left.

• Like 1

Thanks, learn something new all the time.

What is the spline count do you know?

• Like 1

There are several places in phoenix that rebuild half shafts.  Take your and see if the can exchange or rebuild them.  Search the internet for rebuilders in phoenix.

The is a 1986 standard cab 4x4 in the old Ecology Yard on 27th Ave North of Buckeye Rd.

I replaced my boots a few years back. You have a manual right? I wasn't difficult just unstaking with a dremel to remove one cv per shaft to regrease then slide on new boots. Messy as you could imagine and then some. Frigging cv grease spreads everywhere. The cost of having a shop do it buys lots of rubber gloves, shop towels and mineral spirits. If you run it as is the cv will be ruined. There are no replacements available that I know of.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There are several places in phoenix that rebuild half shafts. Take your and see if the can exchange or rebuild them. Search the internet for rebuilders in phoenix.

The is a 1986 standard cab 4x4 in the old Ecology Yard on 27th Ave North of Buckeye Rd.

Thanks man!definitely going to check it out

I replaced my boots a few years back. You have a manual right? I wasn't difficult just unstaking with a dremel to remove one cv per shaft to regrease then slide on new boots. Messy as you could imagine and then some. Frigging cv grease spreads everywhere. The cost of having a shop do it buys lots of rubber gloves, shop towels and mineral spirits. If you run it as is the cv will be ruined. There are no replacements available that I know of.

I did some research and found out they do sale the boots so I will definitely order some soon.

I took my truck offroading yesterday and it was running good and everything and as I was driving out it dies and does not want to start anymore! As if my starter died,so I check the cables and make sure everything is connected so I try starting it a few times and I can hear it try to turn over but nothing but my starter starts smoking! So I take out the key and it still keeps smoking,and I start to see red on the starter and fire starts!so I disconnect the battery and it turns off! So today I will remove my starter again and go trade it for another one! I might have to replace my battery cables as well.

So I replaced my starter yesterday and tried to get it started but my starter did not turn!I checked everything again make sure everything is connected correctly but nothing!only thing is my battery cable that goes to my starter gets real hot!and so does my starter, should I change out my cables or what could be the problem?if anyone could help me

I took my truck offroading yesterday and it was running good and everything and as I was driving out it dies and does not want to start anymore! As if my starter died,so I check the cables and make sure everything is connected so I try starting it a few times and I can hear it try to turn over but nothing but my starter starts smoking! So I take out the key and it still keeps smoking,and I start to see red on the starter and fire starts!so I disconnect the battery and it turns off! So today I will remove my starter again and go trade it for another one! I might have to replace my battery cables as well.

So I replaced my starter yesterday and tried to get it started but my starter did not turn!I checked everything again make sure everything is connected correctly but nothing!only thing is my battery cable that goes to my starter gets real hot!and so does my starter, should I change out my cables or what could be the problem?if anyone could help me

No I couldn't get it to start.

Is the engine seized??? Will it turn easily with the starter???

Is the engine seized??? Will it turn easily with the starter???

I got it to turn on today I had a friend pull me to pusg start it!but yeah something is up with my engine! I have a loud knocking noise coming from inside my motor, it sounds like it's coming from the bottom end.

• Like 1

It may be on the verge of seizing, no wonder the starter over heated trying to turn it.

Rod knock gets louder under a load. Quieter, but not gone, when you lift off the gas. Almost impossible to pound a rod bearing if you keep it filled with oil. If a previous owner started it, it will only get worse.

• Like 1

It may be on the verge of seizing, no wonder the starter over heated trying to turn it.

Rod knock gets louder under a load. Quieter, but not gone, when you lift off the gas. Almost impossible to pound a rod bearing if you keep it filled with oil. If a previous owner started it, it will only get worse.

Yeah I'm going to have to have it rebuilt i have to look into how much it's going to cost!I have to get it fixed asap though

• Like 1