81 datsun 720 4x4 fix up!

El_Roy

I just picked up this 81 datsun 720 4x4, 4 speed manual single cab long bed with 202,000k I got it for $1300 with brand new wheels and tires, runs real good strong little motor! But i have a couple questions, can anyone let me know why my 4x4 will not engage?

• Like 1
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The boot needs replacing. It holds in the grease for the constant velocity joint and keeps out dirt and water. That driveshaft won't last long with a hole in the boot. Good luck finding another. I don't think you can get new ones just used ones from old trucks.

• Like 1

So I went out after work yesterday to test drive my 4x4 and I gotta tell you I am surprised how strong and well it works! But my truck died coming back home! I could feel my starter going out so I replaced it today, also something is up with my carb so I bought some carb cleaner and going to clean it real good tomorrow. After I put on the starter I left it on fin about half an hour to see if it would shut off again but it did not, so I will see how it drives to work.

• Like 1

I have an 81 datsun 720 4 speed manual 4x4 long bed with 202,000k that I picked up 2 weeks ago and I want to slowly fix up!the truck ran real good everything was working good until a few days ago it started acting up!it just started shutting off on me and would not start until I put some starter fluid on the carb,So I read about cleaning it out and so I did so but nothing changed!

• Like 2

I added your earlier post to this one to keep all the information in one post for easy reference in the future. Later you might want to call this your 'build thread' and you can just change the title.

Practice posting pictures till you get it right. Links are a pain to have to open. Posting the picture like this is much better.

1ClGe2a.jpg

Make sure the 'new' pump isn't the problem. You should hear it come on when the ignition is turned on. The fuel pump relay requires a charging alternator to keep it running once the engine starts. Next time it quits check the window on the front of the carb to be sure it has gas in it. If no gas find out why.

• Like 1