Bamboo--'69 510

Have had and have been working on this car for well over a year now but have never created a thread. So be prepared for months worth of work not being documented. I currently live in the Bay Area of California

I got this 1969 2-door from a friend after having drooled over it for years. What originally was destined to be an auto-X car with a swapped SR20DET has become my personal project. *Also known as 'Tammy'*

10364615_312725395547536_449564480_n_zps

At the 2016 Canby, I went with no intention of buying anything grandiose, but left Oregon with a set of 13" SSR Starsharks from 510_Dillon.

IMG_5019_zpsh3xebvfx.jpg

I wanted to stay true to the original 510 drive-train (at least for a lil' while), so when a low-milage L16 out of a grandma car fell into my lap, that went in. I worked with my Dad to put in the L16 and new Weber carburetor and Koyorad radiator. 

IMG_5023_zpsrkryckt8.jpg

As of right now, I have very little driving into the car. But, after a trailer ride up to Oregon for 2017 Canby, Bamboo made her debut!

IMGG_zpsbzoo0c7d.jpg

More pictures and details to come. 

• Like 7
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things and details and things;

-ZX calipers were already on the car. Rear drums had some issues, including, but not limited to; worn-out brake pads, short studs (shorter than what i wanted), broken wheel bearing in back driver's side, brake  line connection issues. 

-The electrics of the car, rather the wiring harness and battery location, were altered. The wiring harness was majorly shoved up under the dash (converted to later model dash) and the battery was relocated to the trunk. After re-taping the harness and putting it back inside the engine bay, I ran line through the car into a custom battery box in the trunk. 

IMG_5030_zpsj41l8wby.jpg

-Went through and did work on the interior, put paint on the firewall, put down few cans of POR 15 to stop rusting. Still some pinholes on driver-side floorpan. I currently have no carpeting or sound deadening in the car. Seats are out of a junkyard Toyota Celica. Steel plates helped get them sitting nicely. 

IMG_5024_zpsrqx2er8n.jpg
-Custom luggage shelf piece:
unnamed_zpsgk4opxft.jpg
IMG_5028_zpsfhi4fpkq.jpg
  • Like 1

Other things I plan to get done in this half of summer;

-Improve the overall drive-ability of the car. Meaning adjustment of the clutch, fixing a slight scaling issue in the Weber that's causing some bogging issues (I think) at first gear-range speeds, and driving her down the highway to work out what breaks and what doesn't. Carburetor and engine tune.

-Fix pinholes in the drivers side floor pan. Some other body work too (like the dents along the driver's side).

-Put permanent sound deadening along the transmission tunnel, lay carpeting all along the floor pan, general interior spruce; vinyl along the C pillar until I have money/patience to do a good headliner, something to do for a center console to hold instruments, and find places for speakers (maybe right in that back luggage shelf).

1_2.jpg

Took her out to coffee and gas to test the clutch adjustment. Had to shorten the pin at the slave so it didnt engage at the very top of the throw of the pedal. Running pretty well, but still having carb bogging issues when the engine is cold. Will be looking into it this week.

• 3 months later...

So this is what has been going on with Bamboo;

Back in August I dropped it off at one of the best fabrication guys I know in the bay, and he made the incredible roll bar seen below, as well made modifications to my seats and seatbelts for ease of use. Also in this picture are the period correct windshield wipers, that took a bit of research and trial to find replacement rubber for (I hate the look of a modern or neo-classic wiper on old cars). 

DSC0064.jpg

Over the course of the last few months, I've been troubleshooting, driving, making tuning and idle adjustments, and driving. Lots of driving. I've been using patina preserver to keep the car in style despite it's body condition. Wax coats and sanding later, she shines. Some of the issues and specifics have threads, like a gas tank issue and the wipers. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/72816-pressure-building-in-gas-tank-510/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/72483-windshield-wiper-blades/

The stance is dead nuts on IMHO (cuz its all about the stance,right?). I am assuming it is still rolling on the 13" wheels mentioned in the first post.

Yep. haven't adjusted the height in a long while because I think the stance is just right.