L16 charging problem

Personnaly I think he lost power on either the white or the white/blue and he's just not turning the alternator or regulator on... what I describe kind of assumes that the alternator and regulator are in working order, and he should be able verify that those wires have 12v when they should....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Alternator passed test twice and i replaced regulator. So im assuming they are both in working order.

So im seeing the same voktage as you except for the red/white going to cluster is only showing 2.4 volts. And the yellow wire coming from alt shows no continuity or voltage. I noticed it tees off into the heater relay , does that play a part ? I can see fried wires behind the heater relay

IF it is wired correctly it's either the alternator or the regulator. These can be tested at places like NAPA.

I can only assume the wiring is correct.

I can see fried wires behind the heater relay

I think you have answered your next question.

Im pretty sure its right ive followed the diagram on that link you posted. I can tell you where they all go if your familiar with the harness.

Where does one acquire a heater relay ? Parts store said they dont carry it

Well first thing the the white and red goes to the light on the dash so if the voltage regulator doesn't see the alternator working it won't output 12 volts to turn the light off....

2nd that yellow wire should be connected directly to the voltage regulator From the altenator.. nothing else should be hooked to it... ok scratch that.... it is in fact connected to the heater relay on a 620....

It looks like all it's doing is turning the relay coil on and off, its not the main supply power....

Screenshot_20170713-102938.png

I think the yellow is the voltage signal telling the regulator the altenator is running , it probably the signal it uses to maintain a certain voltage which is enough to trigger the relay.

So if you had an over voltage happened and you fried that heater relay that yellow wire might be receiving ground via the relay....

If what you say about your set up Is right and you get 12v where I said. I would either make sure nothing is attached to that yellow wire, and see if you get continuity or disconnect both ends of that yellow wire and run a new one between the alt and the regulator.. and see if it that works to make the alternator charge..

And that heater relay you can always wire in a generic automotive relay to replace it....

I can explain that later if needed....

Fixed it , the two wires that plug into the alt (yellow, white/black) were backwards. Switched them around and the alt started right up.

Thank you guys for sharing the knowledge! I Wouldn't have gotten it done without you guys.

Someone else will have to answer that.... I went a little overkill on my main power... relocated the battery... I used 8gauge coming off the altenator, I forget what size fuse...

As far as the relay... you should have 4 wires....

Something like this...

Screenshot_20170713-102938.png

Yellow and black are the coil which activates the switch .. the other 2 one is gonna be power and one goes out to the carb....

This is a standard automotive relay...20170713_151240.jpg

85 and 86 are the coil.... connect the yellow and black to those 2..

Then 30 and 87 Will be the other 2 wires..

Is the stock setup repairable?

If not and you switch to the other style relay 85 and 86 can be either the yellow(power from alternator) or the black(should be a constant ground)... this activates the relay.

30 and 87 are the switch when it activates the circuit is connected ... that should connect power to the choke... not sure what those 2 wire colors are, and they can go on either 30 or 87 doesn't matter..

The choke heater relay requires a charging alternator in order to be on and sending power to the choke heater. Basically a charging alternator tells the relay that the engine is running, and here's why....

In cold weather engines are very hard to start, keep running and drive without a choke. So one very cold morning you go out and start your truck and go inside while it warms up and finish you 4th cup of coffee. Unknown to you the engine stalls, but without the relay, the choke heater continues to warm the choke, turning it off. You go out 10 min later and the engine is stone cold and your choke is off. Starting and running it now will be very difficult. With the choke heater relay, as soon as the engine stops the relay shuts off and the choke does not warm up and stays on.