I got my first Z car not too long ago, a 78 280z. I payed $2300 and the car has a spun main bearing with just over 108k on the odometer.
I've already started breaking down the car, and so far I've got the entire front end apart. I’ve got about $3700 into it so far and I’d like to keep costs as low as possible. I've got a few concerns I'd like to get some input on:
- I did a lot of cost-estimating and decided to buy a rebuilt engine instead of rebuilding the one it came with. I bought a rebuilt L28 with approximately 80k miles on it for $1k from a guy that never got around to installing it in his project. It's supposedly built by a reputable shop, but what should I check out before dropping it in?
- How necessary is replacing my spindle pins? The rest of the suspension components are in good shape, just dirty and slightly worn (to give context)
- My dad had a few friends that were checking out the car and they said the paint looked salvageable to them. The top half of the car looks pretty bad to me, but the bottom half is quite good (see pics). How do I tell if the paint is usable? Where would I take it to have it fixed, or is it something I can do?
- The engine bay has some surface rust in a few locations. Is it better to repaint the entire bay at once or just the localized areas?
- Does keeping the original paint increase the value? I may be looking to sell this when it’s done to fund a pre-smog Z.
- I’ve read a ton about carpet kits for these cars but can’t really make a decision on which one I want. Any personal recommendations?