2017 Eclipse

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Helping my brother cut and rake hay, took a break right when it was about to start. Noticed the birds were a lot louder then normal. Then it was like someone hit a switch and it was real quiet. Then when the sunlight came back up(where I am it was like an hour or so before sunset at the darkest part), it was like the birds were pissed making noise. After about 15 min or so the normal back ground insects and birds chirping.

• Like 1

Well in Vancouver WA I couldn't tell there was an eclipse, and it was supposed to be over 95 percent covered, it might have been slightly less sunny at 10:15.

The 1979 eclipse was also a partial and it was way more dramatic, the street lights came on that day, but it was also raining.

I know this, there are a lot of lighter wallets in Oregon.

• Like 1

I've been house sitting a new 4bdrm house a few miles South of Florence on the Orygun Coast. It's got to be close to the path of totality. The place is 2 acres back up on a ridge 3 blocks from highway 101, an easy 3 minute walk to the State Park beach and tide pools. On the big cliffs above the beach, I thought the Moon's shadow coming at us over the Pacific Ocean would be visible. But as the sun became obscured, it seemed like fog started to come out. Not enough to matter much. 

There were a bunch of Touristas and Locals with food and booze, kids running amok! Good times. I walked back up into the neighborhood to gain altitude and get clearer view out of the fog. It was great, out in front of every house, people were all set up for their own front row seat. I stopped on our driveway by the mailbox, during the totality. There was nobody around. 

It was like 125 csl said about the birds. The Seagulls were going insane for a half hour, but then it got really quiet, no bugs, no Crows... really Twilight Zone! 

There is internet but no TeeVee, so I don't know what else went on in the world. It seemed like a regular weekend at the Beach, traffic and people wise. A few minutes after it was over, I could hear Sheriff's or State Police vehicles headed South at warp speed, sirens blazing. Whoops.

Good hearing from you figbuck, been a while since we had an entry to the cronicles of figbuck, good to hear your doing well.

Same thing with the birds here, they started perching on the power lines outside of the shop then one by one went to a big maple across the street.

It definitely lived up to the advertising, it's one of those things that you have to actually experience.  Seeing it on tv or being told about it doesn't do it justice.  One of the most interesting things was how bright it still was with so much of the sun occluded; you'd think it would be more linear, like turning a dimmer down.

We'd all been hammered with warnings of traffic and shortages so all the locals stocked up of food and fuel before the gas fleecing began, and surface traffic was slightly below normal throughout the event.  Freeways and arterials leading out were a clustefuck, as predicted, but nothing like my cousin in WY in the Glendo / Wheatland region had, theirs achieved Mongolian clusterfuck status.

• Like 1